Thinning and pruning

Would removing the smaller inside branches and ground-crawlers’ inside my 10’ x 10’ girls be beneficial or detrimental to their finish?
Do plants keep growing after budding is established?

@Docwill They will “stretch” to 2x-3x in the flowering stage. I trim leaves that are blocking light to what looks like “good” bud or and spot that looks like “bad” bud, by bad I mean inferior or lower quality. Why waste the plants energy and your nutrients? How do you grow? Indoor or out? Soil, hydro or other? What phase are you in?

1 Like

Outdoors; ~75-90 days from harvest. Calyxes establishing. Males & Hermes removed.

Don’t know if this is a good photo, phone images too small. We’ve got 12 8’-10’ plus some smaller late plantings. Seem to be growing 6+" every night.

5 Likes

you can easily thin out that one without losing anything. also preventative measures for pests are recommended for outdoor grows.

2 Likes

So, removing large, healthy fan leaves that interfere with air circulation and light is beneficial?

With respect to pruning, we stress train the larger branches gradually to horizontal. This increases yield and opens the interior to light and air. There still are those skinny, stretched interior branches and the ones running on the ground that comprise maybe 5% or more of the plant. They’re healthy but won’t yield much so is it better for the plant overall to remove them?

3 Likes

For me it’s beneficial to remove them. I grow indoors so I try and make as much of my light accessible to the plant (because my light costs money to run) as possible with max air flow (because I don’t want bud rot). If you have trained them in a way you feel you’ve done those things you may opt to leave them alone. It a matter of opinion really. I believe in addition by subtraction. If I can remove a few to increase my yield and up the quality that’s the route I will go.

i leave almost all lower buds for early tasters. i dont think quality is sacrificed one bit. here’s a holy grail kush nug at 37 days flower.

5 Likes

These are 10’-12’; they’re growing ferociously. It’s a lot of damned work but I’d like to remove unnecessary foliage after I get branches spread.
15656363555843400160810484887379|666x500

with my plants, maybe 100-150 grams each dry. you can take a half pound cola off that monster early and not hurt yield. but i say again, prevent pests please! i’m starting to get more excited about your harvest than my own. i dont think you have to worry at all about thinning. thin away. pics though if you do.

1 Like

Since ur outdoors… @NavyVet420 @Big123 @Drinkslinger @Cheftodd420 (first time in tag bombs. Welcome to mentorship :joy::joy::joy:) @Mrcrabs any recommendations?

3 Likes

I’d start a 4inches from ground and may go as high as 6to8 in. I just cleared out my outdoor and really went in the middle and started with the oldest and largest fan leafs and cleared it out. And 2 days later and they look great not as big as those but a respectable 6ft.

2 Likes

Good luck they look great!:metal::+1::open_mouth:

1 Like

Thanks for the tag @PurpNGold74!

I also trim up the base to allow airflow due to the high humidity. I did pull branches apart and used tent stakes to secure, to allow for more airflow and light.
Being my first photo period plant, I’m sure I made a ton of mistakes but these plants are damn rugged.

1 Like

I stay natural, let them grow like nature intended. Just my style

3 Likes

Gorgeous…

1 Like

I like the airiness of your thinning. Did you remove branches as well? My girls have miles of stretched branches going for the light.

Yes yes I did a lil sacrifice to the cannabis gods is a good thing once and awhile. I have to keep them airy cause of my cage prevents some air flow but I need that security of slats with cops living around me.

1 Like

So, maybe remove lower branches, the ground-runners and stretchers above.

About 90-days out I begin stress-training as far as the branch will allow, over time to horizontal, so the trunk gets good air and light after this. Thinking out loud, I’m wondering if these weak stretchers will catch-up.

Just didn’t think about this before and don’t recall from the last grow.

@Docwill imo that’s not a yes or no question. It’s not that they will or won’t catch up but they are more likely to catch up than ones that are crowded. I’m all about training. It increases your chances.

~60 days from harvest. The two separated trunks are about 12’ with six similar branches pulled down (orange line). This image shows two of five 10’-12’ trees.’.

In addition there are five 6’-8’ trees and numerous late clones just to see what transpires until November.

We have an issue with plants at the upper level; heavy branches break at the stalk. We think it’s a nutrient deficiency. Any opinions welcome.

2 Likes