Thinking of trying coco

After this grow is done in about 4 weeks i"m thinking to trying coco for my next grow. My question is how much coco would i need for a 5 gal fabric pot and can i still use my FF Trio nutrients (soil) I plan to grow a Jack Herer in one pot with coco and a Jack Herer in FF soil ( FFOF and FFHF ) in another pot. As a experiment to see which one gives a better yield. @Covertgrower @nicky @Not2SureYet. @dbrn32 Tag anyone else who grows in coco. I’m sure i will have more question’s LOL

5 Likes

I purchased a coco brick, for $15, should be more than enough to fill that 5 gallon.
I still have a bit of soil to use, and then I’ll use the bricks. Better results.
I would use Jacks it’s affordable. Coco has lot of run off.

2 Likes

P.S they will be autos

2 Likes

Even better.

1 Like

I bought a couple of these since shipping was free ,great reviews, they claim to be low sand the answers say each brick will fit 2 5 gallon pots and since im using 30%perlite itll be closer to 3

4 Likes

Oh i just realized my memories got crossed (from an Amazon coconut coir)these are A LOT more each brick is apparently 2 +cubic feet or 18 gallons

1 Like

I use the loose bags from canna. Never tried to fill 5 gallon fabrics with it, but thumb eyeball method is telling me about 3 pots per bag. FWIW, the bags are something like $50 on Amazon but my local shop sells for $22.

I’m not really guy to comment on the fox farms stuff. Used it in my veggie garden and didn’t really like it, so went other routes. I would think that it would do fine in coco if mixed properly and diluted to +/- 900ppm. One advantage to coco is that you can pretty much feed daily. So I’m not sure their standard recipe is ideal. Another thought is the calcium requirements of coco may not be met by standard recipe either. So would definitely look around some for others doing it before committing.

5 Likes

I have been using Fox Farms Coco Loco in Air Pots and Octopots for about a year. It is about $40 a bag on Amazon and I can fill three 5 gallon air pots. It is a 60/40 perlite mix :+1:t2: Works well for me

3 Likes

@Deepsix
I use the canna in a bag also .i have enough (with perlite) for 3, 5 gallon pots and enough left over to start my seedlings In their first pot for the next round

2 Likes

The coco you got is the same I started with. I haven’t been able to find that is twin packs for a while. That is a good price for it right now. I can get four 5 gal bags and a 3 gal bag from a brick of that if I remember right.
I mix mine in a trash can as I hydrate the brick. I am pretty sure I have some left to re hydrate later after filling the 20 gallon can though. If I had of caught this last night. I could have said for sure. I am mixing a new can right now. I had some left over from the last brick and started with it. I would guess in the 3 to 4 gallon range is what was there.
I am testing the Jacks on a pair of autos right now. I am on the fence still. In about 2 more weeks, when the buds are actually forming. I will have a good idea of how it is doing compared to my GH. The photos are doing good on it :grin:

1 Like