Thermoperiod discussion

The difference between night and day temperatures ideally?

I’ve heard that 10F/5C is ideal.

A greater daytime temperature allows a plant to conduct photosynthesis and respite Durring an optimum temperature (26c is what my research and experience has left to me belive is the ideal day time temp although genetics will play a roll in this).
While allowing to reduce the rate of respiration Durring the cooler night.
High temperatures cause increased respirations, sometimes above the rate of photosynthesis. Thus this means that the products of photosynthesis are being used more rapidly then they are being produced, obviously this is not ideal for growth to occur.

Genetics play a key role however considering a strain like Afghani will be more tolerant to cooler nights and warmer days while a strain like Thai or Maui Wowie will prefer warm days and warm night. However night Temps should still be lower than day temperatures, although a range difference may be different such 5-8c (10-15f) depending on genetics.

Would love to hear what other experienced growers have to offer on this subject.
@dbrn32 @MattyBear @Myfriendis410 @imSICKkid @Hellraiser @merlin44 @Stonedrus

5 Likes

I agree, I shoot for 8 - 12 F between day and night temperature. Your reasoning is sound as well.

3 Likes

Same as I’ve heard. I shoot for day temps of 78-80F in veg and flower and my night temps are usually around 65-67F so i get more of a 13-15F difference between day and night, which seems to give me nice harvest colors pretty consistently without any further temperature manipulation, wife and I just like it kinda cool at nights, makes for a better sleep temp.

4 Likes

Ideally, what you stated @Nicky is what most people go by. I’m too lazy to make sure they have optimal conditions at all times. I do what I can; but ultimately, it’s up to the plant to adapt, and most do. Most strains you get nowadays are so far from their origins that they have been bred and grown in indoor, controlled environments, so this backs what you said Nicky. I personally think that having colder nights of 10-25 degrees F helps to bring out colors in plants without harming growth potential. I’ve had swings of 40 degrees before when growing in the garage lol. That’s obviously not “recommended” but they turned out great. In the end… it’s all about the plant genetics of that particular seed.

7 Likes

This is me too. I have my fan set for 76F and night time drops to 65F. I try to stay below 78 as that is the point where some terpenes dissipate.

5 Likes

I agree, I currently have 2 out of 6 plants that have stretched at a amazing rate. Same identical conditions as the other 4 ,but clearly far superior genetics.

4 Likes

Just wanted to ensure that we are all on the same page, thanks everyone.

@Myfriendis410 and @Hellraiser how do you set your temp lower for nights?

My AC Infinity controller only let’s me set a max temp/humidity, I don’t believe I can set a different temperature for a different time but if I am mistaken please inform me lol.

1 Like

Just works out that way for me. I keep the house thermostat at 67F these days and have the exhaust fans running constantly (at lowest speed after lights out) in the tents. I imagine the moisture in the tents with the air moving thru it brings it down another degree or 2, kinda like evaporative cooling.

1 Like

As far as I know; that’s correct. My basement floor is 65F and the grow space is located in a mechanical room (central heat, water heater, whole house humidifier etc) so temps remain mild year round, hopefully.

1 Like

This is a feature the new controllers should really have on it.
I have a duel inkbird, duel humidity, duel temp or temp and humidity but it has two power plugs on it so the fan in my other tent can only run off a temp or humidity sensor and we had a leak followed by me being at work and the girl not checking the tent for 7 days and I just lots my main cola off my Purple kush…
I really think the AC infinity is the best controller but even then it lacks features.

I’m heat broken… But eh nothing I can do just live and learn the girl feels bad and is going to make it part of her routine again she got complacent.
I am gonna replace the hose to ensure a tight fit, note to self have tiny Zap straps laying around Incase of needing for hose clamp style fix when unsure about a connection.

Now it looks like so (small plant due to forgot to PH the Res for 3 weeks early on and went away for work)

1 Like

Is that botrytis

1 Like

That it is and it suuuuuuuuuuuks.
The risks I take when away from home for 2 weeks at a time.

I’ve lost 50 % of my crop once and 30 % another time sorry for your loss I usually remove all plants affected and then 1 plant next to it not effected yet because its probably on it just not taking hold of it yet

I’m gonna risk it to be honest, these 3 were stunted and the one I care about the most is the one that got mold. I haven’t tried purple kush yet and it’s meant to be even more sedative then northern lights or grand daddy purple.
The girl left the door open to the tent for today and tonight.
I’ll call the grow shop tomorrow and see if they will have fans in by the time I come home, if not I’ll be ordering online.

Wish I had an AC infinity fan in this tent that would have helped alot due to the humidity settings. But a leak is a leak so it happens. Just wasnt home to catch it.
At least my floor is dry!

Botritus is not just a mold it’s a disease and spreads very easy that’s not something you wanna smoke for sure it will spread the rest of the 1 plant for sure so I really dont see the reason to keep it around it’s just a very high potential to spread

Well that sucks! I’m gonna let it run because I’m not home to deal with it any further, I’ll see what it looks like in a week when I get home.
I Geuss I be turning it into oil then lol

I will keep my fingers crossed for you bro it’s a fast sweep knocked me out in 1 week lost 6 plants out of 13

Well at least it won’t be slow and painful lol.

I’m home in a week and will evaluate the situation then.

This tent has 3 plants in it and all were considered a wrote off due to a mess up early on, they bounced back really well so I figured eh try it anyways. So if they all go to the compost it will be what it is. I don’t even have a grow journal for them lol