Theoretical question

When I was in boarding school my biology teacher gave me an experiment to monitor and report back the weekly results with a photos taken with a kodak instamatic camera. Obviously she organised with the local morgue for a cadaver. Now the experiment consists of burying the cadaver and planting vegetables and apple and lemon tree on top. Veg were all seeds planted into the “veggie patch” apple and lemon tree from 1yr old saplings. We wanted to find an organic and useful way to Bury the dead. It was a competition held by the government.fyi. Using human remains as a fertiliser to enrich soil in various media one being desert soil. The results of that experiment were phenomenally Informative. Within in 2months we had 45cm carrots, sweetcorn longer than that. Tamatos the size of a softball. Apples and lemons 3/4 ripe with about 15 fruit between them. The desert soil was however a non starter except for tomatoes. My question is this… would it be frowned upon if I used theat concept using pork instead of human remains. I really would like to hear your thoughts. @dbrn32 @Countryboyjvd1971 @merlin44 @raustin @Happy_Pappy @BIGE @anon35207245 @SmoknGranny @anon95385719 @Growit

2 Likes

Please feel free to tag in anyone else. @livefast @Screwauger @ggr @M4ur

1 Like

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
I believe you/they would just be returning to pre-industrialized America (or any Country).
Sounds ripe to me.

4 Likes

Interesting idea @twitch. You are really talking about doing the same thing the American Indians did (according to my history lessons in the early '60’s) when they would plant corn and other things and place dead fish in the soil along with the seeds.

While I believe that this works (or at least can work), I also think that you no longer have good control over the plants nutrition and pH.

1 Like

Yes, there are people that plant a fish along with every seed planted which is basically the same idea.

2 Likes

Good point. All we did after planting was a little weeding and only watered with tap water. But the nutrition comes from the decaying flesh and all the bio activity. Also it was an outdoor experiment.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable enough.

Hmmm :thinking: That’s an interesting question. Growing up in Florida all our fish cleaning scrap was buried next to citrus trees as well as pets that passed. We had some healthy trees. But using pork??? Like I said, hmmm :slightly_smiling_face:

@Twitch be careful not to attract those meat eating wasps and flies. They have porcine blood meal in granules that doesn’t attract pests.

2 Likes

@Twitch not to mention skunks and or other animals attracked to the smell

2 Likes

I saw a program where they take a deceased person & placed into like a bladder wherein a sapling was placed so the tree eventually used your body for nutes. When i saw it i wondered how weed would do as ive told my kids to use my ashes as fertilizer on my favorite plant.

6 Likes

I mentioned pork as pork is the closest to human flesh than any other meat. What about other meat besides fish? Open to ideas

1 Like

@Twitch anything that’s typically has a vegetarian diet would be best.

1 Like

So lamb or beef…sounds like a braai (bbq)

1 Like

I’m not actually sure that would make a difference, tbh, not when it comes to decomposition.

Sure, herbivore poop is better than carnivore poop for fertiliser, but when it comes to a human corpse or any other mammal then surely the diet is immaterial as most bits are pretty much made out of the same stuff, size and quantity would be different, so, apart from slight differences in what comes out due to these small differences in size/quantity, wouldn’t the end result be around the same as far as using a mammal as fertiliser go?

I mean, bone is bone, muscle is muscle, and so on, so surely we could find an “average” of what sort of thing comes off of a human corpse, there’s always cadavers around (I’ve already stated my body is to go to medical science because someone will want to know why I managed to live so long, reaching 50 was a bit of a miracle in itself), and it can even be done with other farm mammals so we could get an idea of what combination of beast makes the “best” fertiliser and then have the ultimate in mix.

You can guess that I have no worries about using humans in such a way, if they should wish such a thing, personally my own opinion is that you’re gone, you’re gone, and if anything is useful to save another then they can have it as I sure don’t need it. What’s left can be turned into fertiliser or animal food for all I care, I don’t need it any more. I’d rather I was put to use one last time rather than be cooked to dust and scattered to the winds, or shoved in a box and left to rot, in some pseudo-non-religious-mumbo-jumbo ceremony so, simply, if @twitch wants to wait an indefinite number of years he can have my corpse for his experiment, it would be one hell of a grow journal, “Look what I did with 2 hands and a kidney”.

In fact, some might say that being buried and left to rot to fertilise an MJ plot would be the ultimate way to “give something back” to the stoner community, so let’s go the whole hog and start a growing business, “Humarijuana, grown by stoners on stoners for stoners”, and, as said, I see no reason why we shouldn’t take all animal waste, whether it be pig, cow, sheep, housepet or human (Let’s face it, we’re all likely to have eaten all of them at some point, and with some examples will have done so knowingly) and find the ultimate blend to use as a fertiliser.

There’s always someone banging on about how we use and waste too much valuable resources, so let’s take it a real step in the direction these people want and start using these resources in a way that as little is wasted as possible. That should get them howling nicely.

3 Likes

@anon35207245 I agree as far as meat eater compared to vegetarian goes very much the same.
I suppose I would say that “possibly” the vegetarian diets “might” contain more nitrogen to begin with. This is only my personal hypothesis. Hence the suggestion. Human waste is rich in nitrogen we eat everything.
In the wild you typically get one or the other, or a combo… maybe the combo has the most nitrogen. I’m not sure. I wouldn’t know the first place to look to support any of this.

1 Like

Gotta keep terms defined here, as “waste” can be looked at as only what comes out of whatever animal and we know some animals’ poop is better than others.

But when it comes to the byproducts of decomp, then surely things would be much closer together as bone, hair, skin and muscle make up the most of any mammal and they’re all pretty much made of the same same stuff so I reckon the effects of a decomposing corpse will be closer to the other mammals out there per cubic foot than you would see with poop, but could be “fine tuned” to suit particular types of plant.

1 Like

@anon35207245 Makes sense, but I was just considering the waste or poop that didn’t come out of the body when it ceases digesting.
You’re right though as far as muscle goes, all pretty much the same chemical make up.

Well, I was still thinking along the lines of the entire critter, whether that has two or 4 legs, whether it wastes time trying to “communicate” when extending one leg and unleashing a thump on the head is the more “natural” way to deal with these things, whatever, and the digestive tract, and it’s contents, although differing between carni-, herbi- and omnivore, make up a relatively small part of the entire critter, muscle/skin/bone/internals, and we’re talking down to cellular level here, are much, much, closer and common than we realise over most of the entire mammalian species.

That’s where the “fine tuning” comes in, so the “mix” of different digestive enzymes, gut and other good bacteria, good fungus, etc, is the “ultimate” mix for specific plants but any freshly dead animal could be used on it’s own as a general bio fertiliser. Outdoors you know you are going to put it deep enough so the local fauna can’t get to it, so the byproducts you want are transported to where you want by first decomposing and then being carried there by the absolute deluge of earthworms, insects and all sorts of assorted good soil critters which would eat the decomposing body and produce some good fertiliser for your plants to grow into. Get the process right and, in theory, you could turn that dead whatever into a fertiliser to be added as necessary, perfect for when it’s time for the culling of local fauna which has gotten out of control, like the people who thought having Coypu in Italy would be a good idea, instead of merely incinerating things, they get used more efficiently.

I have no issue with that, I’d like to have the option. Use me as weed food, a nice way to go.

1 Like

I have not laughed so much for a long time, a real belly laugh. I agree with you @anon35207245 whole heartedly. I’m donating my brain to tourettes syndrome research. Yes the technology does exist to power a dead brain in to working. I read alot on pseudo science. Obviously certain boundaries I’m not willing to cross. It’s so fascinating. It’s Mrs Naude’s fault. She got me into pseudo science at the age of 14yrs old. It was my only way of escaping others. I was in a farming/boarding school…

2 Likes