The Watchman's First Grow Journal

While that’s fair I think it’s a great helping tool when we have those who are using different lights and to get a decent estimate to see if light is lacking alot or a little, in this case showing that lighting is good enough for veg.
And ty, I plan to prep my 2 new pots as I dropped seeds last night and then I’m off to the range with the girlfriend (her first time) as I bought an XDM 9mm this summer thst has yet to fire a round

2 Likes

You can’t really tell that without plotting ppfd average though.

1 Like

Can’t tell but it’s as close as we are going to get, to boot they don’t show their own PPFD chart.

No?

1 Like

@Nicky and @dbrn32 I did lower my lights about 4 inches. I gave the plants support as I noticed Sally was bending a little now too. We talked for about a half an hour about how slouching in photos really isn’t the right thing to do and how some people make take that as an indicator of their personality. They said they would try to do better and then I helped them out physically a little.

Ignore my stupid humor BTW. I do news and merchandise for a living. I don’t leave the house much. And I’ve always been a bit twisted. Not to forget the whole life thing. I either laugh or crack. I choose to laugh.

2 Likes

Maybe if you can maintain within the criteria given. Easiest to just get a light that provides total flux and you know how much light is in your space.

2 Likes

Does this image help me understand that? I have 2 of these lights in a 2ft X 4ft X 5ft high tent.

2 Likes

I would shoot for getting to about 15-16" for flowering. Start higher with younger plants, and gradually increase intensity over plant life.

2 Likes

Ok thank you @dbrn32. After adjusting my lights the center of the lights is right at 24.5 inches above the tops of the plants. I also tilted them slightly outward because Sally (the center plant) was getting a lot more light than the outside two which makes sense due to the light cone. I’m a noob and just making sure I’m not doing anything entirely boneheaded.

2 Likes

Awesome I hope you have a great time at the range and enjoy your freedom seed spitter! We are huge second amendment supporters. Constitutionalists actually.

2 Likes

I’m in Canada so our laws are a bit different but I hear you.

That light chart helps, I couldn’t seem to find it and because of it you were given (as always) good advice from @dbrn32.

@dbrn32 I agree but at many times on the forums we get lights with little to no info. Total flux is not something I’ve ever paid attention to so I’m interested to learn that way but as it is lights like his don’t show total flux, or at least that I found on the amazon link =p

2 Likes

Ok folks here goes the first of my weekly update photos. Note that Susie and Sally have been sprouted for a week. Karen is behind those two. You know, because it is Karen after all lol. I turned off the blurple lights and used one of my news studio lights for the pictures.

Susie:

Sally:

Karen:

4 Likes

All is looking good so far . Remember to let the ground or potting mix to dry out a bit too .

2 Likes

Thank you for that advice @Kan72. I actually just plugged my pumps back in after being unplugged for about 24 hours. When I checked with my cheap stick meter I was showing it right between dry and moist at root level so I didn’t want to let it dry any more than that. I think I will let the pumps run until early evening and unplug them again until tomorrow morning. I’m trying to find that balance and then slowly increase the run time as the plants grow and demand more water and nutrients.

Karen seems to be growing really slow in comparison. She is just in a 5 gal pot with no recirculation. My suspicion is that her soil has been too wet. Im going to let her be for the time being and see what happens.

The biggest reason for me doing this journal is for awesome people like yourself to guide me when I screw up. So far the system I came up with has really impressed me though. Next time I may use the shorter coffee cans, drill holes in the sides, and use less soil so I have better nutrient solution drainage.

They all look happy I agree.

Does Karen’s bucket have drain holes in it? Or is she in the same fabric pot setup as the others?

This may all work better with soil less medium but we will see.
They are so young that you should be turning it on/off manually but maybe once it they get bigger you may be able to time it with a timer. Wish we all could have a accurate soil mosture reader that was plugged into a controller, thst seems yet to be invented and sold in Amazon lol

I assist my girls with 2 transplants. One comes after the seedling has developed its first set of serarated leaves. They’re usually 3" or so tall at this point and I bury them a half-inch or so short or that first node.

I do still keep a breeze on them at all times.

The second transplant comes after the plant is a few weeks old and has been topped once and 1 or two nodes have been cleared out underneath. The transplant depth on this one is to bury the nodes that I have trimmed down (usually 2.)

It has worked out really well for me and I get very sturdy plants this way. Sometimes it’s a bit too sturdy (e.g. when I begin training the plant they may not bend over so well.) I do have to be careful with my training this way. I suppose that if I just went ahead and supercropped that it wouldn’t be an issue. Supercropping is something that I haven’t been able to bring myself to do.

@Nicky Karen is in a plastic 5 gal pot I found in the basement. I drilled several holes in the bottom of it. I have about 2 inches of clay pebbles in the very bottom and the rest is soil. Originally I had the pot in a tub sitting on the bottom with enough nutrient solution to reach soil level. Since then I have put the pot on top of coffee mugs to get it out of the solution altogether and I just scoop solution in when needed.

The auto moisture reader seems simple enough. A simple touch lamp type of circuit should work as long as we could figure out the right resistor value to use on the transistor. Oops, it seems the nerd in me fell out. LoL

1 Like

Possible you didn’t mix enough extra perlite into the soil mixture for Karen’s medium then.
Any idea how hot the soil is?

That is entirely possible because I didn’t mix any perlite in any of the soil. It is literally cheap walmart soil that I had for a failed potato barrel attempt last summer lol.

By hot do you mean temperature or fertilizer? As far as fertilizer it is getting the same treatment as Susie and Sally which at this time is 2.5 ml FF Grow Big and 15 ml FF Big Bloom per gal.

Well the soil its self has nutrients in it even before you add synthetic nutes… Is its time released potting soil possibly? If it is thst may cause issues if it’s not then it should be good aside from the lack of Perlitre that would lead to compacting and holding mosture.

Hard to tell when your sorta already past the planning / potting stage.

Will just have to see how it goes

Yea I probably should have bought new soil that was more specific to this particular species. Or even mixed my own up. But to be honest I’m extremely happy with how Susie and Sally are doing. I must have not done it too wrong. I will likely buy new soil on my next grow. I am learning so much here and I want to thank you @Nicky and everyone else here. I have learned so much from these forums already and plan to learn as much as I can. Like I previously said here my plan isn’t to have the Lamborghini grow nor the (insert cheap economy car here) grow but somewhere in the area of a Lincoln Town Car would be nice. LoL

3 Likes