The start of something wonderful (shed build)

@Countryboyjvd1971 quick one for ya. I going to redesign the box the exhaust dump in to. I was going to build it out of duct board or would sheet metal be better?

Well with the shed build we are into a different season and she is still doing well. It was about 21f this morning outside and the grow room was at 73f pretty happy with that. Still fall where I am at but we are getting a taste of winter. I am got a grow going now and should finish up around the new year.

In the works is a new door for the shed but it will have to be custom built I have a few ideas working and probably post some stuff here. Well if anyone is still following thanks.

3 Likes

I’m still around your thread :joy:… Nice to see you doing what you do :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

So it has happened again. The black mold is back. Son of a… really pissed and anxiety ridden. It happened in the spring when I was growing and just ended up spraying it all down with bleach 50% water 50% then ran the dehumidifier. I turned it on this morning and it was saying something like 85% RH which is just begging for the mold to start. Plus there must be still exhaust seeping in to cause it to warm a bit. Temp gauge battery ran out so got to get that going and hope the dehumidifier does the trick with the bleach solution. The shed stays warmer then the outside temp.

So I need to do some serious thinking before I ruin the whole lot of things. The exhaust from the grow room circulates with the prep room. The exhaust is set up on a T connector that goes out to the window. I added a boost fan to the exhaust so there is always some bit of air coming out. This is where I think my issue is that the plenum box I built should be better seal at the window. That way I am not getting air blowing back into the shed. Maybe some suggestions or just some sympathy… @Willd @Countryboyjvd1971 @M4ur @MattyBear @Screwauger @Donaldj @BIGE @Rugar89 @raustin @Covertgrower

3 Likes

Lowering the humidity would go probably farther than exhausting more air out. Can’t remember if you have a heater in your shed or not.
The other option is more air flow. In and out.
However if when you increase air flow, you still need to have the capability of treating that incoming air (lowering the humidity) to prevent mold.
A good frequent application of hydrogen peroxide mixture directly on the plants will also assist. @Smokin_ernie

3 Likes

Thanks, I do have a heater in the shed however it only heats the grow room and prep room. So the rest of the shed is subjected to ambient temps. The two rooms are well insulated.
Yes more air flow would be good and have plans for an intake fan to pull fresh air in. Good point on needed to treat incoming air. Hopefully the dehumidifier is doing the trick, it is a small unit so fingers crossed.

3 Likes

sometimes that stuff is hard to get rid of…
a lot of times it is growing where you cannot clean,an it comes back regularly…
hit those cracks really good with solution when cleaning,never pass up a chance to wipe stuff down…
pain in the butt but i bet it would help…roll of disinfecting wipes would help. maybe

5 Likes

Tough wiping stuff down because it is all plain raw wood and it is on the roof. I will spray as best as I can and then some. I brought some pressure treated boards for a project and I think that is what drove the humidity up there were feeling mighty wet when I put them away in the shed.

2 Likes

What @Covertgrower says makes sense. Regardless whether we do this indoor or out, there is always going to be challenges like this to contend with.

5 Likes

Yes makes total sense wish I wasn’t at work so I could be dealing with it right now. It is really eating me up. So going to work on exhaust and put it outside with a dryer vent. Right now it is just up against the screen in the window and I know some air is leaking in. Then work on the intake. Well really need to spray things down first. Always some kind of challenge is right Will.

3 Likes

Ok so learning and learning new things. This mold issue I have been obsessed with getting it under control and it has been on my mind since I seen it. So I am researching on how to dehumidifier a cold room with high rh. I have been running a dehumidifier and exhaust fan in the work area of the shed. It is about 37f with 84%rh. A regular dehumidifier doesn’t work in cold temps what you need is a desiccant dehumidifier which is designed to work with cold temps. Well I will be ordering that up. In the mean time I need to still spray down more with bleach but ran out so got to hit the store. Challenging to say the least but exciting. I also worked on exhaust from grow room which I will post a picture or two. @Willd @Screwauger @Covertgrower @raustin @North_East_Newbie @BIGE @Countryboyjvd1971

7 Likes

Ivation 13-Pint Small-Area Desiccant Dehumidifier Compact and Quiet - With Continuous Drain Hose for Smaller Spaces, Bathroom, Attic, Crawlspace and Closets - For Spaces Up To 270 Sq Ft, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8SCPZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q8a8BbFPR382X

Just ordered this it will be here Monday.

4 Likes

Nice unit, @Smokin_ernie… I see high rh issues with colder temps, never knew about the different dehumidifiers? Thanks for posting this info

5 Likes

Thanks I hope it does the trick. The hopes is that it will be enough to keep the shed a bit warmer. Working on building a better door that should make it more air tight. Lots adjustments.

4 Likes

Couple shots of the new work done to exhaust.

Couple more

So it works it is probably way over thought but that is what I do. Really can’t help it. Haha but anyways. Working on a door for the shed that is better then the barn doors it has.

8 Likes

Happy Happy @Smokin_ernie

2 Likes

Thanks @Zombo so I got the desiccant dehumidifier going and it is smaller then thought as of last night it wasn’t doing much. I check in on it this morning.

2 Likes

Oh wow, it should help somewhat though? Keep us posted… it had decent price tag on it @Smokin_ernie

1 Like

i bought one of those…lol it might be ok for a tent with one or two plants but not a 6’ by 16’ grow room…lol
@Countryboyjvd1971 steered me toward a good one but i lost interest now that my RH leveled out using heater…
i believe it is still in my cart i’ll look…how big is your shed grow?

@Smokin_ernie first off happy anniversary bro :partying_face:
They definitely work better in smaller areas closest etc is it one of those plug in to dry type ?
I feel
It’s always better to control humidy in room your set up is located and allow fans to pull the air into tent with exhaust and all running they have a hard time keeping up and that goes for any dehumidifer and humidifiers
Good morning to the rest of you as well @BIGE @Zombo

3 Likes