The ongoing recreational grow but not the first grow

Thanks @Covertgrower. Maybe your superpowers will turn me into ConvertGrower, and I’ll maybe take the dive too, but for now, I’m a land lubber. (I’m lacking a drain in the part of the basement where I grow, so that may hold me back as well…) Anyway, I love seeing your attention to detail and planning with all this. It’s great for newbies and wide-eyed folk like myself. Fingers crossed!:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Do you have to do any additional filtering to avoid clogging emitters? And what do you think your standing time of solution is before needing a change? Do you run an airstone in your rez to help keep it fresh? Temperature control?

I’m intrigued by this and when I get moved to Colorado this may be something to look into.

1 Like

I have a drain in the bathroom, but I don’t fill the res so full I can’t lift it.

I have a 30 micron filter on the inlet. No air stone, but I do have air stones as a back up. Canna nutrients for hydro have “PH stabilizers” supposedly. I’ll be keeping an eye out on the PH swings.
I think a standard res change would occur as often as with any hydro. Maybe once a week? I’m hoping to go longer.
Temperature control is an experiment at this time. I have insulation around the box, and plan to add more if needed. The flow rate from the res is so low, chilling it would have no effect by the time the water gets to the sprayers. I’ve figured ice packs on top of the tote would be best if I need to chill the root zone. I’m hoping that the larger amount of air will benefit.

I have a tail on the amnesia haze I’m just waiting for the hull to pop off, and the first set of leaves. I should be able to gently place it in the foam collar.
Did some pump adjustments tonight. Just trying to dial it in so it runs smoothly.
@Myfriendis410 @WonkaMan

3 Likes

Are you concerned with the solution spoiling over the course of two weeks? Aerating should mitigate that. Temps too of course. I figured the environment at the roots would be a bit too ‘dynamic’ to accurately gauge and use liquid temps. I’m thinking of more along the lines of: my solution will last longer if kept cold and aerated.

Valid point. I’ll add the air stones. It can’t hurt.

3 Likes

What is the purpose of the air stones?

1 Like

Aerates the reservoir to keep the nutrients from having funky things growing in it. @WonkaMan

2 Likes

Good luck little girl!

10 Likes

Rock and Roll!

5 Likes

Sweet!!!

3 Likes

Grow healthy and large little one. We are all pulling for you to make it.

‘This is a very interesting set up. I’m excited to see it succeed.

2 Likes

Thanks Bubblehead! I know others have Ben successful, let’s just hope I am.

2 Likes

Update:
Seedling is looking a little wilty after the first day. I moved it closer and moved a nozzle to a more direct spray. I think it’ll pull through okay, hopefully. @Myfriendis410 @WonkaMan

Side note, I can see how this would be a drain to waste set up. There’s some that gets recycled right now, as there’s not a lot of water being absorbed by a seedling, but late flowering I would bet there’s very little run off.

8 Likes

I can imagine that this is tough to target effectively on a seedling. I would think that clones would be easier. But they are tenacious little creatures. Keep up the good work! We’re pulling for her!

4 Likes

I flipped everyone else, and I think I have the nutrients dialed in. Running great humidity and temperatures and optimum growth is definitely happening. I’ll take some clones here soon.

10 Likes

How’s the little one doing today?

3 Likes

Nice!! They look great @Covertgrower !

3 Likes

Tap root is still looking good. But I’m not having a lot of luck with top half. It’s just not looking vigorous. I may have damaged it in the middle trying to put in the foam collar. I Thought was super careful, and removed a section of foam so there was extra room. I’m going to drop a few more as a back up. I still think this will work, I just have to be more careful with my sausage fingers. @MattyBear
Thanks @Missiles

9 Likes