The "Learn from My Mistakes" Thread

Avoid vacuum sealing your seed collection with a Foodsaver without protecting them from the pressure. I opened my collection this morning and had a number of seeds that were crushed flat.

8 Likes

I would have never thought the sealer could crush a seed…maybe these were just the weak ones it culled out for you

3 Likes

Oh my. I’d be really bent out of shape. Thanks for the tip. Here’s a tip from me:

If you start seeds in peat pods, get them into the ground/final pot the instant you see any root protruding from the pod – don’t wait for it to grow. On my first grow, I let roots protrude too long and it set my plants back a few weeks. They recovered but only due to dumb luck.

3 Likes

I tried it with flower once. It turned bud into rocks. lol.

3 Likes

I can definitely see that a bud would get compressed to stone…especially if lots or resin/trichs on it

3 Likes

I have a “wet” setting on my food saver vacuum. It vacuums, but not to the extent a dry vac would. I don’t use it often but if I want to take some on road trips it’s handy

2 Likes

Damn man, sorry to hear that. Maybe a bubble wrap envelope?

Good post to start, I could fill this post up :joy::joy::love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

If I may add one….don’t sit your babies outside to take advantage of a beautiful day and leave them near a sliding glass door that’ll allow the suns :sunny:refraction to burn those lil’f#cks to a crisp before you get back home from work….lost 8 that way. Smh :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I’ll add one don’t mix up tea spoons and table spoons did that on my auto dots grow they made it even with 3 times the nutrients

4 Likes

@GrnyGrows YUP! :+1:I do the same…as soon as I see one root I transfer them to final 25g pots.
Last year I started directly in the peat pods placed in the container. This year I timed it so they could germinate under full spectrum LED,but in a stalker -watch-them-every-hour kinda way. So far so good.

Happy growing!
SL out.

Love the stalker statement – so true. I’m so happy to have my first seed to harvest almost behind me so at least I sort of know what to expect.

1 Like

We were all stalkers when we first started growing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When using plant twist ties be sure to check the tension on them from time to time dont let it guillotine your plant

Edit shes a survivor tho so even if the worst happens the can come back

2 Likes

Ouch. I’ve never done that. lol.

@Gronasbros she topped herself!! Did you clone her after that? :thinking::man_facepalming:

1 Like

No lol i didnt have any room at the time

1 Like

Sorta like the military. Here, your first official rank is – stalker. :potted_plant:

Oh man – so easy to do.

I won’t like that, but the information is greatly appreciated.