The Force is Strong in this one!

How many colas sites are you going to do? 8 or 16

Think I am gonna go for 16 ! What the hell, nothing ventured, nothing gained ! I have a problem that I have to think through now. Will put something on my journal as soon as I figure it out. Could effect the grow bad or good, not sure. That is what I need to figure out.

Journal Update:
Got some pictures tonight and (again !) awesome growth on her. She doesnā€™t even look trimmed. Her Canopy is falling right into place. This is really a hearty plant. I have been giving it to her pretty steady and she has done nothing but grow more. Not sure if it is the Sensi-Grow that I have never used before, the soil (first time with Happy Frog or the genetics.

@Tylan, did you change your nutes during veg or media for this grow? You seem to have a grow just like mine, growing well. I am trying to figure out this plant.

3 Likes

Whats going on? Anything I can help with?

2 Likes

Hey @TxGrowman. Iā€™m currently using the Early Veg schedule but Iā€™m using 10ml of Herculean Harvest instead of 5ml. Iā€™m going to start the Mid Veg schedule next feeding.

I also ordered a gallon of Herculean Harvest and a quart of Bloom Khaos because Iā€™m using them like crazy. I donā€™t use Bloom Khaos as a foliar. I just donā€™t want to be bothered with that to be honest. I use it as a mix in and I use 20ml per gallon.

I am going to try Aphroditeā€™s Extraction and Mega Mopheus Guano Tea from NFTG. They arrive today so Iā€™ll be using them for next feeding (the Tea on my AHA).

On top of that Iā€™m not watering to a lot of runoff yet. Not on purpose I just didnā€™t have the facility to do that in my veg tent. Now that Iā€™m in my flower tent Iā€™m going to get that situated.

3 Likes

My new pictures after three days of re-growth after the major trimming I did. All the leaves are growing great but as I studied it for a while I realized that I really should have followed my plan closer.

@MAXHeadRoom @Tylan The thing I was wrestling with last night is taking off one or the other set of nodes. The main principle of the mainline is having all the colaā€™s come the same distance from the soil so the nutes travel the same distance to the buds. This allows the buds to all grow the same speed and, hopefully, stay the same height from the lights.

With the nodes on two levels, I can already see the difference in growth rate of the 3rd and 4th level of growth. The third level (lower ) leaves are markedly more healthy and growing better.

I am thinking that I need to take off the top layer and go with the bottom (3rd) node. This will give the lower leaves more access to the nutes and will keep everything on the same level. That is an important factor in keeping everything maximized in growth and access to light. Both are the primary reason for mainlining and if I do not follow that, I am not really following the spirit of the mainline. This also makes the grow just an exercise in topping and, I am thinking, I will not get the growth that I need to make the upper growth develop as designed.

The other alternatives are: Take off the lower leaves, which are growing really better and look stronger. OR leave it all and let it continue to grow. I believe that leaving it all is going to slow down the grow and not help the yield.

Overall, I will waste a little time that I should have had just one set of leaves but a lesson in following the plan I made.

What do you think?

7 Likes

From what I have read and seen on youtube, you are doing it right, but you need to cut the upper nodes above 3 off.

From what I have read you grow your plant to 4 to 5 nodes, then top just above the 3rd node and remove the leaves on the 1st and 2nd nodes.
I really canā€™t see your stem to see what you did.

Do a search on Nugbucket tutorial its really good.

4 Likes

I have the original site for Nugbuckets linked. You are just confirming what I believe, need to get back to the plan. Thanks for the input. Jerry

3 Likes

Journal Update:
Took off the fourth layer about 16 hours ago and she is taking off again. Believe this will be a stronger and faster growing plant now, if that is possible. It will keep all the colas the same distance from the soil which is a main point of the mainline per Nugbuckets. It make sense when you think about it and more nutes for the growing part. .

Tip of the cap to @MAXHeadRoom for confirming what I thought

9 Likes

Wow :scream: I would be really nervous doing that :wink: but it makes perfect senseā€¦looking forward to the new growth !

1 Like

@TxGrowman, The old scare crow technique. Thanks for enlighten us amigo.

1 Like

Looks just like the picture in the tutorial :upside_down_face: You must be doing something right. :smile:

So now you let that grow out to 4 to 5 nodes and do the process over again???

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the plan now. Getting a very strong main stem now. It is not that big around but is very strong. Will see how it goes as she grows.

3 Likes

Just went through the plan again and I will top them again tomorrow. Nugbuckets recommends that you cut it as soon as you have the top again. That will give me four mains with two buds on each top - 8 colas total. Then will let her grow again. It was recommended that I only do 8 colas due to my space and growing indoors. I may stay with the eight or go on. Depending on growth rate and space. Will see after some more growth.

Up to now, I have been using CFL to keep the growth slower but it seems to make no difference to this lady, she just keeps reaching out. I may bring out the LED. It seems to give me better buds.

As soon as I get clear buds away from the main plant, 12-12 Flowering time. I estimate that will be 10-12 days but am not sure yet. Want to see this lady in full bloom. Should be beautiful sight !

4 Likes

ILGM received my money and now I am awaiting shipping status. Apparently they are out of one, suspect the GDP is the holdup. Also ordered Northern Lights (fem) for sleep medicine. Next grow I am gonna do NL and flower to amber trichomes. I need sleep medicine and I heard this will do pretty well. GDP is a high

Topped out her main stem on each side and put her to her grow box with pH water only. Saturday - Feed, Pictures and positioning the branches with garden ties and stakes.

6 Likes

Show us how she looks :joy:!

1 Like

@TxGrowman northern lights is a great night time MMJā€¦
i have not tried GDP yet,iā€™ll be interested in watching some grow!

@M4ur Here are the pictures from this AM. She is picking up after the trimming she got last night. For anyone following on Nugbuckets, this is step 3.

!

She has the look of being ready to take on anything I can dish out. The trimming I have done in the last week seems like it would tax any growing plant, but she just keeps on growing.

10 Likes

:thinking:ā€¦ Interesting!
So you cut the other 2 branches and you let the lower ones?
The power of this weed is amazing :heart_eyes:, she keeps going no matter whatā€¦
Sadly I broke one of the top branches (I make a clone from that) and I have 3 left :joy: (one in top and 2 lower onesā€¦

Awsome @TxGrowman it looks just like the tutorial. You are doing a great job :rofl:

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hey if you would just cut the fan leaves off your branches and left the shoots you would also grow colas there. When I do something similar to what you doing I leave all shoots where weed bud can form and cut off all fan leaves. But you are shooting for something totally different than me but Iā€™ll be watching to see how she grows. Great job

1 Like