The Difference Between Mycorrhizae and Microbe Products

I see a lot of growers confuse microbe products and mykos products. They are different.

Mykos (mycorrhizae) is a fungus that works with your roots to enhance the root system.

Microbes are beneficial bacteria that consume the nutrients in the soil and poop out a more easily absorbed form of those nutrients for the plant to use.

14 Likes

Good information thank You :blush::v:

3 Likes

Moral of the story - Use Both.
Well straight Hydro is an exception. As are standing Rez’s i.e. autopots, drip feed

Diversity is good and one benefits the other, in most mediums.

4 Likes

This is not to promote Advanced Nutrients, rather an example of two sources of bacteria and fungi.
However, I do use both products.
AN describes Voodoo Juice as beneficial bacteria, root expander and colonizer. It contains several soil based bacteria (Bacillus)
AN describes its Piranha as a beneficial fungi for roots and nutrient uptake enhancer.

I also throw in either Tribus or FishSh-t.

5 Likes

I do. I use these:

Urb is microbes (hard to find now.) I add 5ml once a week.

And Xtreme Gardening Mykos (for root enhancing fungi.) I layer in mykos when doing my last transplant. I use about a half-cup in total for 10 gallon bags.

3 Likes

Me too, I have quite a few in my arsenal. Tribus/Microbe-Life/UltraB/Mykos/Azos/MIIM/fishsh!t/recharge - I see Urb on-sale online alot, never looked at its CFU counts…Obviously works well I’ve seen your plants/grows. I’ll drop a quart in my cart next time I order.

I use the Extreme on in my veggie garden transplants too, plants do awesome. Never had an 800lb Punkin tho.

2 Likes

I was going to post links to the stuff on Amazon, but all they had for Urb was a 10 liter bottle for about $300. They no longer have quart bottles, but that could always change.

1 Like

GrowGreen is where I see it frequently for $35/qt $100/Gal…but has fee ship minimums…
I have a lot of luck there on decent pricing.

2 Likes

One small sample bottle of fish sh!t has lasted me years since i transfer microbe colonies from old coco to new i also give them a few shakes of this during my mixing along with my old truck nutrients thats has mykos in it then the microbes get fed 1 TBSP molasses a week

3 Likes

I’m about to transfer my seedling into into first pot, are one or both needed?

1 Like

No. They are helpful, but not required.

1 Like

I have ordered mycorrhizal fungi, but I won’t need it for a couple of months. Should I keep it in a refrigerator until I need it?

1 Like

I store mine in a cabinet in my grow room.

1 Like