The Couch Files:Indica grows by the AlienBrew

Set to watching

1 Like

Excellent, I got mine set to stun, welcome aboard. Since I’m here, I’ll lay some WW pics down, one of the first strains I purchased, with Super Skunk. I don’t think I’ve shown any SS, except for some extra clones I grew n quart pots. Kept it simple, one main beam. Anyway some WW….

As TP&theHB’s say they grew up tall, they grew up right.

6 Likes

I like that last shot. It almost looks like that top nug praying is spreading its wings to fly like the eagle in the background.

2 Likes

I actually trained them to snap to attention, whenever their Lord AB enters the room lol. :rofl: Wait, I need a sec to compose myself, lmao :rofl: :rofl: :innocent:. Ok I’m back, ty very much, nothing, n I mean nothing beats walking into ur bud room n seeing all the ladies, stiff backed, praying to their LED gods. Thanks again nk1, ur kind words don’t go unnoticed n r much appreciated.

4 Likes

Dam I really suck at this, let’s see if I can pull up some SS pics

Ok let’s see if I can do this, :crossed_fingers

All of these pics r from over a year ago, I gots some really nice SS pics I’ll hold out on posting till a BOM contest?? It’ll b nice to show some SS phenos, I can’t recall seeing many SS plants up for scrutiny, so b it…

7 Likes

So I got a couple a couple simple question’s. What does everybody look for when it’s time for harvest?? What’s ur preference, do u go by trichs, the number of weeks recommended by the seller, r it looks done to ur trained eyes??
Also do u stick to a rigid time line for say watering, feeding, ph, ec-ppm? Must the numbers b exact, r is there wiggle room?? R u dead set on the products u use for keeping ur ladies alive?? Must it b Jack’s, FF, GH, r one of the many, many, other nutrients available?? Myself I’m looking for straight up Amber n pale white trichs, like a 70, 30, mix. My problem being, most all fems, herm out long before even coming close to my preferred finished product. I’ve concluded the process of feminizing seeds, contributes to the degrading process of the entire line. Robbing the plants of the thousands of years of resistance they developed to survive. The ever increasing search for higher, n higher, THC levels IMO, will lead to the declining genetic makeup of the plants we covet,
across the board,what say u?? I would love to hear opinions on this subject, from anyone…@Fieldofdreams, @Carpenter, @ConcreteBudz, @Newt, @Borderryan22, @Graysin, @Pinboy, @MattyBear, @beachglass, @beardless.Tag on whomever, Do u even have an opinion?? R u aware of these goings on? R u thinking this dudes a fn nut, say so, I’m a big boy now n can take the criticism. What say uuu, that’s where my interest’s lay. Plain n simple. R are u already buying only, fems, n autos, because of problems with nanners, r clones, r bad genes? Or the bean houses suit u just fine, no problems. It ain’t broke so there’s nothing to fix? I’m looking to light up some brain cells, n not the way ur thinking, although there’s nothing wrong with that…Peace :v:

4 Likes

There’s no such thing as exact it’s averages so of course there’s always wiggle room.

Yep :+1:. No one else can tell you when it’s done they can only suggest. Final discretion is up to grower.

Nope. I water when I feel like the pot is light. That can be 4 days or every day

That’s why autos exist and are pushed so hard imo

A little bit of all of these

5 Likes

You definitely sparked some brain cells :joy:
I have only been growing for about five years so I’m still new to the game I’m not a numbers chaser and I never have been. I make sure the pH is right and roll with it. I’ve used Foxfarm fertilizer for the last 4 1/2 of the five years and happy with the product, once you figure it out. I’ve used general hydroponics, nutrient line, simple, and advanced, and I have tried a couple along the way for myself jacks for the simplicity of mixing and ease of use. I’ve noticed the same thing with photo and auto flowers. They Herm before they are ready.
Has happened to me many times with some great genetics. Stopped using seedsman seeds because 100% of them hermed early. I’ve asked myself if I’m waiting too long to harvest. I have had a Gelato’s go 15 weeks from showing flower not light flip.
I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil to eliminate bug problems. Clonex is my cloning gel of choice three dollars I can clone 40 plants.
I hope some thing from this paragraph has helped. Any questions feel free to tag me otherwise it might take a while to get back I don’t have a whole lot of time for social media i usually pop in show some love and I’m back to doing something.
And I base my harvest on color of try combs…
Thanks for the tag

3 Likes

Short and seeet from me… I do not stress over any numbers although I pay attention to ph. Even with ph I like to let it range a bit instead always the same.
I watch the plant for ripeness and when I think it’s close I’ll double check with the usb microscope. I like all cloudy with a decent amount of amber. Once there it depends how ready I am to clear the dry space and sharpen the axe, it might wait for another few days or a week…
Havnt noticed the herm thing yet, maybe try regs? Also, I usually drop my light power down in the last couple weeks

4 Likes

Harvesting:
I pay virtually no attention to the calendar except to change flowering nutrients. I rely a lot on pistils. Looking for the usual, brown / orange and receding. Some plants just say I’m done or I have very little left. I try to keep them as healthy as I can all the way through but it doesn’t always work out. Lastly is trichomes. One because I love taking pictures of them. And to know where they are at and there appearance in relation to the first two. The buds are the most important but I also look at the sugar leaves. If they have turned I know those on the bud will follow.
From a recent harvest.

I grow for my wife and she enjoys her daytime smoke. I don’t push the amber too far.

I just like this pic

By the number?
Yes I guess I fall into that camp. Coco, Jacks 321 or TAP, microbes, advanced nutrients supplements and silica. Crunch the numbers going in and runoff. If something goes off I want to be able to reference history. I keep logs (excel spreadsheets) that covers everything I don’t forget to enter.
I do get somewhat of a break by using autopots. I usually have two pots going. This current grow I am only running 1 pot.

8 Likes

A little of each. Sometimes I get it right. I guess why they are all unique.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for the feedback . I would like to point out, autos, fast growers, n the extensive research going into the fastest growing demographic, new growers, n cannabis ruderalis. Would b the main contribution for the influx of genetic manipulation. Increasing trichome production, resistance to the threat of disease, n infestation of uninvited parasitic guests. One must manipulate the proteins, n physical makeup of the plant to produce fems, autos, fast autos, fast growers, n low growers. Also the growing process itself. Bean houses, growers n their investors, n the industry itself, is producing the propaganda towards this new norm. Getting the new influx of growers, because of the changing landscape towards the acceptance of marijuana across the nation. That these new, high THC, fast growing, light friendly, products, r front n center. Creating a new generation of growers, whos only priority is, this plant will b ready n 45 to 60 days, n why the hell is it so small?? N I want my tent, r room, to look like what I’m seeing. WTH, I don’t want to read, r take the time to learn, I’ll just ask the very friendly peps here on the forum. My two pennies worth, mine n mine only. Peace :v:

5 Likes

Hey @AlienBrew thanks for the tag! I wish I had something unique to add to what the others have posted but I’m only 2 yrs in to the ‘grow your own’ game and each grow I’ve explored different techniques and combinations. I’ve learned to trust my eyes and what the plant is telling me after my GSCA fiasco lol. I followed a ‘Groupthink’ mentality and didn’t trust my eyes and harvested that BOM winner wayyyy too early compared to the other 3 in the tent and was so dissatisfied with the smoke that I gave the entire plant away. Too racey.

I have not duplicated any particular combination of grow styles yet. I started with the much maligned Miracle Grow soils and nutes and had a fantastic outdoor harvest albeit I didn’t know you can’t grow pot with MG…… total bs urban myth there. Then I did my 1st indoor still with MG dirt but used Bergmans nutes and still pulled off a great grow. Then this summer I tried the TPS line on my outdoor with inground MG soil conditioner and my native MD. soil mixed-I’ve shared enough of that GDP & GodOG to confidently say that grow was as good or better than the previous ones. Then this Fall I dipped my toe into the Fox Farm soil waters lol and with MG nutes and OF soil got a BOM off my Super Lemon Haze. The Haze and Godfather clones are absolutely the best smoke reports I have to date.

Now I’m running @repins12 autos in OF in my 5x5 and the 4x4 is a mixed strains tent in HF. Both of these grows are on the Jacks 321 as of this wknd.

So in a long winded reply I’m just winging it here trying to find my own combination and preferences in a space that often seems to want to force everyone in a box lol. Seems there’s a lot of ways to grow this incredible plant and she’s tolerant of most situations to a point.

Maybe in 5 more yrs I’ll be locked down to a routine but where’d be the fun in that? I think I’d really like to go back to a 100-% MG just to annoy the nay Sauer’s lmao.

Be cool AB!!

Edit- I’m not a #’s guy either. Don’t tell but I don’t chase light or vpd etc….

6 Likes

Same here brother. The only number I chase is my ph of nutes being fed.

4 Likes

I’m aware of ur history on the forum. N well aware of ur tumultuous beginnings. But u did something a lot of others overlook, u got 2 ears n 1 mouth, n approached the process, patiently, w/ an open mind n without preconceived notions. N most important u were open to change, whatever change it took, like hooking up the wright peps. I mean look at what u started with, n what u gots now, how many tents, lights, n the knowledge, ur growing a plant n a gd skull dude.
There r literally 1,000’s of way to grow, none wrong, just some better than others. I must call u out on one thing. Calling BS on using MG, while holding off feeding seedlings, r clones, with HFOC, r even HF, because it’s to “hot”. My girls would loudly disagree with this “info”, because I start feeding FF products as soon as I see root development. So seedlings get half doses, from jump street, while clones may take a couple more days, with feeding beginning at first sign of a root. I’ll also add that providing the correct environment for ur chosen strain, n these weeds r very hard to kill. Let me repeat, the correct environment for ur chosen strain, makes killing ur weed very hard…
As a breeder, I would love to hear the snipers thought’s on fems, n autos. vrs. regular beans. N the notion that the industry is gently forcing people into buying fems, the reward being a sure fire female, every time. Never mentioning the hermaphroditism that comes with it. That’s the surprise n side, waiting to rear it’s ugly head. It is what it is, roll with it…the hermming, n the finish product. Thanks for replying FoD…I’ve seen the MG work more than once, but if ur gunna piss someone off because u choose MG. I’m with ya bro
Peace :v:

4 Likes

Nice quote. Best road-trip album ever.

I believe autos were intended to give a reasonable shot at OUTDOOR in high latitude regions. Areas that normally freeze out skinny equatorial buds before trichomes finish, or areas that have unreasonable moist autumns.

The rudderalis auto trait developed on plants in the extreme north where it goes from all light to no light in half a season. If they followed the sun “cues” they would go extinct on their own.

I would say indoor they are a novelty. Fun to grow something different. Never going to replace photos. I think the meanest marketing ploy ever was to convince new growers autos are easier. Old growers know better. If the forum is any indication I see way more questions/problems for new growers with autos. Any problems and the yield is going to nose dive. Any gems or wonderful medical benefits for YOU, you cannot reveg clones. Back to the pheno hunt. I have no problems with autos, done them a few times for fun. But I would never suggest to my buddy on the first grow to go with autos.

*also, great for an early midsummer smoke treat in areas where photos do great outside.

5 Likes

Thanks for the input, very informative, much appreciated. I’ve never grown an auto, n have no plans on starting. I primarily grow regular seeds, n normally I’d clone any female I would get till……well, there wasn’t nothing to clone. Then fems came along, n I’m sure u heard something about being to good to b true. They make for a nice break, but grower b ware. I’d b more inclined to say they’re the novelty imo. As for the pheno hunting, I’m very fortunate to have the friends I have. Peace @noddykitty1, n again thanks for contributing.

2 Likes

@spankyjr1 and @AlienBrew, I grow but cannot use due to my job. I have 2 old friends of mine (been friends for 45+ years) that love 2 strains I have gifted them for a while now. One of them had not slept for more than 3 hours nightly for 12 years and the other has PTSD and slept very little also. They LOVE the Purple Punch and Afghan from ILGM. One called me on the 3d morning after the first gift and almost made me cry. He said he just vegs on the couch after a couple of draws off the pipe and then another right at bedtime. He sleeps from 9 PM to 6 AM now! He says his life is much better now. Try those strains out. Good luck!

7 Likes

I been rambling on too long, I’m guessing some pics r n order. That was my intent when I logged n but I got distracted, by a very thought provoking reply. Anywho here’s what the Blue Cheese b looking like…

She’s looking good, with along way to go yet

A GF going commando, she’ll have about 50’ of wire holding her up, very soon.

A lollipoped Black Widow, I believe. Not long into buttons.

The other GF, tied like I mean it lol :laughing:
Ok time for a ride on the puff, puff, train…:peace_symbol: out

11 Likes

Fantastic! Looks like the big colas on the cheez might need some help staying up by the time it’s over!

3 Likes