The Coir Explorers

Well, on my last grow I just let them do it… since I was flooding them regularly enough they never “air pruned” themselves so I had decent sized root balls out the bottom of all my pots last grow. In a flood tray I would just let them do their thing and not sweat it… if they aren’t being routinely flooded shouldn’t they “air prune” themselves away?

5 Likes

I am only top watering with cupful at a time to each pot, then runoff removed with vacuuming. They are damp for 2-3 days between watering. Concerned that in 2 weeks I will have 5 inches of dry roots hanging

3 Likes

I don’t have a ton of experience growing in pots, unfortunately. The way I grow my roots are supposeds to be hanging outside of the media. :smiley:

3 Likes

When I ran into issue like that they usually pruned themselves before getting too far. Maybe different story if there’s moisture remaining in trays.

3 Likes

I had at least a half gallon of roots sticking out of the bottom of each of my one gallon cloth pots my last grow. You should see my roots now. I have a mat of roots covering most of the tray… essentially one large root mass with 8 columns of roots rising out of it to the plants.

3 Likes

What do you have inside the tray? What is the root mass sitting in? Nutes?

3 Likes

Nothing in the tray right now. Last grow I lined the tray with 2" river rock. Now it’s covered with a lid, so nothing in the tray at all. Plants are being held in hydroton in 4" net pots. Last grow I also used hydroton in the cloth pots (one gallon), and those were placed on top of the river rock.

3 Likes

It’s been 72 hours since I watered the 1 gallon plants. Coir still damp in base of pots, and leaves aren’t drooping. will add one cupful of nutes tomorrow to each. Roots starting to peek out bottom of pots now.

7 Likes

Topped most of my new babies this morning. I dropped these seeds March 1st. They popped up 5 days later. Roots are growing out the bottom of 1 gallon pots

6 Likes

Looking awesome well done!

2 Likes

Topping them pretty bold move that tight, should be fun!

2 Likes

@GoneFission If I wanna move these into a netpot, all I would do is rinse roots off to remove the Coir. @dbrn32 topped 19 days after popping up

2 Likes
I have a gg4 mother, her mc clones, and seeds from same plant growing at 3 weeks old                                                    ![image|374x500](upload://tPJA5qRwtvsA4pmIeFnjDcUkKbf.jpeg) ![image|374x500](upload://h0HLnxy27zbrwLqgYFPIR0eTJX6.jpeg) ![image|374x500](upload://hVxRjslRRtrAkaEk2EjQDHz8AqF.jpeg) ![image|374x500](upload://s4TkNIkG2p9ZdRdY2Bx5TEI0yZx.jpeg) ![image|374x500](upload://hvXwAKGbYNneQSfphorTC7poLPB.jpeg) ![image|374x500](upload://trohaKADLL6YewABYAakWo9aMyN.jpeg) ![image|374x500](upload://l8XGDJzHsN3a5mg2LxXWY1gltLO.jpeg) *emphasized text*

image image

image image

7 Likes

Gg4 mother plant, some plants from her seeds, plus I have 8 mc clones from her. 3 generations of one plant at the same time.

3 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Very nice those buds are beautiful!

2 Likes

I pulled the first male out this morning. It was only 3 1/2 weeks from seed breaking ground. Rinsed off coco to check how root growth; not root bound but 1 gallon pot was full. Planted 19 regular seeds, so probably have 8 more males knocking on the doors @GoneFission

7 Likes

Did you switch them to 12/12 to find out you had males?

No, they have been 18/6 whole time. I was surprised to see boy parts this fast. They do have ilgm blueberry auto and gg4 as parents, 25% Auto genes.

2 Likes