The Clone Army is on the march

I love your details, @merlin44. Your wife just doesn’t get it.

1 Like

Hey @merlin44 I too like your methodical and detailed growing style. Keep up the good work.

I put my clone army outside in a small greenhouse because I ran out of space too. It will be my “outdoor grow” experiment. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Wow, all I have to say is that you would all be great friends to have.

I am quite happy to have, sort of, met each of you. Thank you.
@Covertgrower @raustin @elheffe702 @Momtomask @dbrn32

6 Likes

Glad to have met you too, @merlin44.

1 Like

You as well @merlin44

1 Like

Likewise, my friend.

1 Like

I agree, pleasure to have met you as well.

1 Like

It has been a while since I posted an update on the Clone Army. I don’t look at them very often, just water once a week.

Apparently, three of them did not get their water last time. I checked on them yesterday morning to find three of them wilted, sagging and a deep icky green color. No time to adjust some water, just dumped some straight tap water (pH 7.8 - 8.0) to get them by.
Last evening they were completely recovered. Just a couple of crispy leaves but standing up, perky and good color again. Amazing!

Wasn’t too worried about them because I have way too many clones but I felt stupid for missing three plants when watering. Might keep these three due to their resilience.
@dbrn32 @raustin @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @Donaldj @ReMolu @neckNflu

5 Likes

When the main room is finally available the clones will be badly root bound. Flowering has taken much longer than I had anticipated and the clones have developed faster than expected.

When the root bound clones get moved to bigger pots, should do anything to them to deal with them being bound? I have heard of cutting/scoring the roots when transplanting trees and what not.
@dbrn32 @raustin @elheffe702 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Momtomask @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @Donaldj @ReMolu @neckNflu

An alternative that I am considering is to take cuttings from the best clones and root them for the next grow. It would be the Clone Army the Next Generation.:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Talk about mixing metaphors.

Any thoughts on this…?

2 Likes

Best advice I know to give is to gently loosen outer edgyof medium. Usually s couple of squeezes around the edges is enough. And then if you have something that will assist with transplant shock a little bit of that will go s long way.

3 Likes

@merlin44 so, I have more experience as a landscaper, than I do a cannabis grower, so take this with a grain of salt.
When we got plants, they were typically root bound and needed to be planted from their pots. We would slice into quarters with a shovel and shock the root system into growing more roots.

I think you should do the same if they’re root bound. If you don’t, you need to give them a lot more time in veg to spread their roots out regardless. Or your yields may be be affected. This was a factor in my last grow. I left them too long in solo cups, then after transplanting I didn’t allow them to spread out properly. My yields were affected. (This was one of my factors)

1 Like

I never cut my roots on cannabis plants. When I have a badly rootbound plant I take my hands and push the roots out, kind of loosen them up so they know to start growing more roots. Then plant them, that’s all you have to do.

3 Likes

I have some Clone-X nutrient solution, should I dip the root ball into a dilute bath of that as I transplant?. This would be after massaging the root ball. Or would this cause some nute burn?

@raustin @Covertgrower @dbrn32

1 Like

I don’t think that’s necessary. I’ve never used Clone x for transplanting, I think it could cause issues. Just plant the damn thing already! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

That is what I will do, in several weeks when they have a place to live. I am just getting my “duck lined up” for when the room is available. Thanks for your help on this folks.
@raustin @Covertgrower @dbrn32
I just moved the last two Monster Crop clones to pots as well. My room will be a mess.

2 Likes

Ya, I wouldn’t go that far. I would assume either pre or post transplant watering with a mild root stimulator solution would be plenty.

4 Likes

I read somewhere that if you spray the roots down with water it gently loosens them. I use a root stimulator product every time I transplant a plant. From littlest clone to big plant I put a layer of it on top of the dirt hole where I am putting the plant. The clone army may surprise you yet. My clones from cones I call “clone squared” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is the stuff I wanted to buy

But I couldn’t tell get that at my local nursery so I bought this stuff

3 Likes

Funny, that is what we have been calling them even though it is just a theory for us.

Thanks for the info on root stimulators. I still have at least two weeks and likely three or more until I can transplant and move the Clone Army into the main room. I do plan on taking some “clone squared” cuttings just for grins.

Try giving the pots themselves a gentle massage/squeeze to loosen the soil and roots before transplanting to your larger pots this will be less stress for the plants rather than teasing out the roots after plants are removed from pots. A seeweed based tonic will also keep transplant stress at bay.

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you @mountainman1.

1 Like