The Case of the Sticky Icky Autos

Since the grow-off entries are getting wonky re: editing them, I thought I’d put a copy of it in this journal, too.

I gotta say, I definitely cannot successfully manage 10 plants & 3 different journals, at once. Set myself up for failure. :grinning:

3 Likes

Lol I understand that. I think I bit off more than I can chew on the new room. It’ll be great when it’s done but the building it is killing me.

2 Likes

You’re not done, yet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Lol nope. A few critical parts got delayed with the winter storm up north. I’ve got the lights to build and hang the filter and fan. I started on the lights but the bending over is kicking my butt.

My water filter setup still hasn’t got here.

4 Likes

Thanks @blackthumbbetty, looks fab! I am so jealous of all the space you have;) I am left with room for one plant now😅

4 Likes

Very Busy Girl, Way supper Nice! Good job!

3 Likes

Let’s get everyone up to speed. No clever gimmicks, just the facts.

Today is Day 71/49/42 from germination, depending on which plant we’re talking about.

Blurple Tent, 520 true watts at 22": Grow off plant, Bloody Skunk 1, Fastberry, Blue Cheese, Goldrush, Blue Dream 1(chopped)

QB Tent, 275 watts at 24": Daquiri Lime, Green Crack, Bloody Skunk 2, and Blue Dream 2

Temps day/night: 78-80/64
RH day/night: 45/55
Light cycle: 16/8, but flipping to 12/12 this weekend, at some point

QB Girls
-Daquiri Lime is 71 days. She started true bloom 1/28. This girl recieved lst, which is why she is insanely bushy! She doesn’t like to eat much.

-Green Crack is 71 days old. She started true bloom 1/26. This girl recieved lst, which is why she is insanely bushy. She’s a hungry girl.

-Blue Dream #2 is 49 days old. She started true bloom 2/6. This girl was topped at the 4th node on day 19, then lst’d using a screen for about 2 weeks starting at day 24. She had some calcium issues a couple weeks back, but I got her back on track.

-Bloody Skunk #2 is 49 days old. She started true bloom 1/29. She was topped at day 19, but received no farther training. Her leaves showed tip burn beginning at about week 4. She seems to have just been a bit nute/light sensitive, since the beginning. Definitely not affecting her too terribly. She’s doing fine. She’s been kinda shoved in the corner her whole life, too. Poor girl.

Blurple Girls
-At day 70, I chopped the Mutie Girl Blue Dream #1. Her trichs we already cloudy with a few amber. Weird she was ready before anyone else. Her buds stayed small, but got rock hard. A few colas were 2 or 3 headed! She was stressed from the beginning, then I kept adding to it. Oh, well, I knew to expect it, so not upset. I have 9 more plants to go.

-Bloody Skunk #1 is 71 days old. True bloom began 1/15. She will be harvested next Friday, on day 78. She was screwed up early, then I doubled down and supercropped her. She has actually grown better than my Autumn '18 BS.

-Blue Cheese is 71 days old. True bloom began 1/11. She will be harvested sometime between next Mon-Fri, dats 74-78. She’s a shorty due to early mistakes, but holy crap, look at her girth! She’s ugly, but the last one did the same thing near the end, too.

-Fastberry is 71 days old. True bloom began 1/15. She was the little effed up, severely stunted seedling that I never gave up on. She grew into an effed up looking plant, but I bet her buds taste delicious. She’s almost ready to harvest, but not quite. I really don’t want to feed her, but her leaves are already showing end of life deficiencies. I plan on harvesting her by 3/1, SOONER THAN LATER. Today is her last feed. EDIT: NOT FEEDING HER…

-Gold Rush is a semi-automatic plant that’s 42 days old. She started showing pistils/her sex on 2/5. She was an afterthought, a wth kinda plant. I almost tossed her, b/c she didn’t do much her first 2 weeks. She was topped on day 20, then screened for 10 days beginning 2/1… She’s a bit light in color, but her nutes are being increased, today.

-Grow-off

Today is a feed day. All QB girls are getting full bloom nutes:
6 gallons tap water
6 tbsp bloom
3 tbsp catalyst
4 tbsp meta K
2 tbsp microblast
3 tbsp nirvana
2 tbsp Demeter’s
PH’d to 6.0

Goldrush is getting a half gallon of the above (minus Nirvana), a half gallon of tap, and 1 tbsp grow, pH’d to 6.0.

They’re also getting Recharge & Mammoth P once a week, between feedings.

PH run-off has been averaging 6.8, which is high for typical Promix grows, but with the Earth Juice, I’m finding a run-off of anything between 6.2-7 keeps the girls in fine health.

Grow-off is fed via reservoir, see grow-off journal

–Blue Cheese & Bloody Skunk #1 have trichs which are all cloudy. Friday, 2/8, was their last feed day. Today will be last feed day for Fastberry. EDIT: DECIDED NOT TO FEED FASTBERRY.

FECK, WRITING A JOURNAL FOR 10 PLANTS IS HARD. SORRY, AM I YELLING?!

QB Group Shot:

13 Likes

I can see why it’s been a while since since your last update, busy lady . I can’t keep up with my 3 plants and 2 journals :joy:
I’ll be waiting on some photographic evidence :v::green_heart:

3 Likes

@GreenJewels some evidence posted above.

3 Likes

The ladies are looking great BTB. How did you determine that true bloom started on 2/6.

1 Like

For autos, I mark the date of first pistils, then once those pistils start forming actual buttons I mark that as day one of bloom.

4 Likes

Wow that bloody skunk 2 is showing it’s dark side. I want to grow a purple strain one of these days. Very cool looking. You ain’t a kidding, Daiquiri lime and Green crack are crazy bushy. Looking good, thanks for the update pics​:v::green_heart:

1 Like

@GreenJewels

More update!

2 Likes

Dang Blue Cheese is getting fat, Very nice. I’m loving that fastberry color. She’s going to smoke nice.

2 Likes

Side by side of Bloody Skunk #1 & #2 (natural light & flash)

11 Likes

Beautiful,dang look at that main cola! I found a black cream auto I wanna try. It’s on my next to purchase list. I’m going to have to try some bloody skunk too while I’m making my list :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey, @GreenJewels, just read a few days back in your one journal. Glad you’re back to your garden.

2 Likes

Thanks :v: I’m a tough old bird :joy: it’s good to be back in it.

1 Like

This is my Journal entry for the Grow-off. This entry will be my new NON GROW-OFF journal for Jberry. All updates to her will stay under this post. Check back if you’re interested.

Strain: Jamaican Berry Super Auto

Breeder: Flash Seeds/Stitch

Type: 95% Sativa & 5% Ruderalis

Grow Space/size: Indoor grow tent, 2.5x5x7 (it will be sharing space with a couple other plants)

Lights: 3 Galaxyhydro blurples, totalling 520 watts from the wall

Medium: 1 gallon Black Gold Perlite, 1.5 gallons Promix Bx, and 2.5 gallons Coco (rinsed)

Nutrients: DrGreenLeaf’s MegaCrop 300g sample pack; AN’s root trio & Nirvana; Recharge; Demeter’s Destiny; Earth Juice’s Catalyst and Microblast, plus other supplements, as deemed necessary

Grow Techniques: This is an experimental grow, using the concept of a self watering container/poor man’s autopot; I will have a 5 gallon bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket, leaving a 3 quart reservoir; there will be an air stone/hose in the grow medium/root zone; I am playing the role of the autovalve/nutrient tank; without the tank & valves, this method will not be a time saver, but it should get some crazy results.

Training: She will get topped/fimmed around week three & then scrogged under a 24"x21" screen

GROW OFF JOURNAL BEGIN

1/1/19
Drop Day

Dropped a Jamaican Berry Super Auto into 3oz of ro water, then added a quick squirt of h2o2. The seed is in a lidded cup, and was placed in a warm (77F), dark place.

Come on seed, Mama needs a new thumb!

1/2/19
Rooter Day

I soaked a Rapid Rooter in a solution of 2 cups ro water, 1/4 tsp Piranha, and 1/16 tsp Catalyst for 20 minutes. After wringing out the Rooter, I used tweezers to place the seed about half-way down the rooter, then tore a piece of rooter off to cover the hole.

The rooter was then placed inside a domed, heated germination station. Currently, the temp is 79F w/ an rh of 66%.

They will spend the next 24 hours in the dark.

I also completed my self-watering container. It’s ready to go the moment Jberry sheds her husk & stretches out her cots.

I started with 2 5-gallon tidy cat litter buckets, a length of pvc, 2 tennis ball canisters, duct tape, and some zip ties.

1. The Reservoir bucket has a 3/4" overflow/fill hole; the outside is covered with several layers of duct tape, to prevent light getting into the buckets; it holds 12 cups of liquid.

2. The Planter bucket has 2 wicks made from tennis ball canisters zip tied to the bucket, as well as several dozen drain holes drilled into the bottom; there’s a pvc water level monitor, too(there will be a float inside the tube).

1. I lined the bottom of the Planter with a square of smart pot material, then starting with the wicks, filled the Planter with my planting mix, amended with 1.5 tsp Recharge.

2. After I filled the wicks & added about an inch of medium to the Planter, I set-up the “air dome”; my version is an air stone (big pores) inside a drilled & rolled left-over piece of tennis ball canister, which is attached to a hose that will eventually be attached to a 3w air pump set atop the black platform.

1. After I filled the Planter, I sank (3) ½" square dowels into the medium & zip tied them to the bucket to use as scrog supports.

2. I then Charged my medium with a solution of 3 gallons of well water, 1.5 tsp Demeter, and ¾ tsp Catalyst, pH’d to 6.0; the run-off was drained out of the reservoir.

3. To clean the Reservoir and such, all I have to do is lift the Planter out of the Reservoir, then pop the Planter into a spare litter bucket. Easy peasy.

The seedling will go into the Planter once its cots are opened to the world. The Reservoir and air dome won’t be started until approximately week 3.

1/3/19
Dawn

This morning the temp was steady at 79F & the rh was 70%. After turning on a Galaxyhydro 130w (actual draw) 24" above the germination station, the temps increased to 84F & the rh dropped to 61%. The heatmat has been turned off until the night temp drop.

1/5/19
Day #1

At 7:30 pm, she was put into the prepared Planter & watered in with 3 tbsp of Recharge spiked ro water pH’d to 6.1.

Light is currently on 24/0 at 26" from the top. Temp is staying between 70-75, rh staying around 60%. We are having a cold snap.

1/6/19
Light on 20/4, with a 2nd 130w draw light on for heat (at far end of tent). Temp at 80F. Both tents are officially running & sharing a ventilation system.

1/11/19
Day 7

I haven’t done anything except keep the light from burning her & hoping for the best. She’ll most likely get her first top feed on 1/14 or 1/15.

Lights at 30". Temps day/night 79/68, rh day/night 50/65. Not perfect for vpd, but I am working on it. The weather isn’t cooperating.

Next pics, I’ll turn off the blurples.

1/13/19
Day 9

Looking really good. A bit of a twist in the first leaves, most likely from the blurple tent’s starting temps last week. New growth is a-ok.

Temps 78-81 day/65-68 night
Rh 50 day/65 night

Tomorrow is the first feed.

Here she is tonight, sans blurples:

1/14/19
Day 10

She recieved 700ml r/o water (ec .021) and Mega Crop (total ec .15, when added to water) with .5 ml Demeter & .5 ml Piranha added, pH’d to 6.2.

1/17/19
Day 13

Snapped a pic at lights out. She’s almost as wide as the pot, so I’m estimating the reservoir will start next Wednesday.

1/17/19
Day 13 continued

Jberry got her second top feed: 1 liter of ro, Megacrop til ec .220, then added 1/4 tsp each Demeter & Piranha. PH was adjusted to 6.0.

Air net was turned on today.

1/18 & 1/19
Days 14 & 15
I topped her on Day 14, forgot to snap a pic; I’ll post one in a few hours.

Because of how vigorously she’s growing, I am also thinking about starting up the reservoir w/in the next 3 or 4 days. The general rule of thumb seems to be to wait until the plant is as wide as the pot. JB probably only needs another day to reach that threshold.

Pic taken at 9am Saturday 1/19

Today, I officially dub her, “Tiny Tina.

1/20/19
Day 16

I’ve decided that she’s large enough for The Reservoir.

To 1 gallon of ro water (ec .02) I added approx 1/4 tsp of Megacrop, for a total ec of .275. Then I added 1 ml each of Root Trio. The whole thing was pH’d down to 5.9.

The reservoir took the entire gallon. I’m guessing the wicks immediately started sucking it up, allowing me to use the whole gallon, rather than just 3qts. The float reads 2.5".

An adjustable height screen has also been installed.

She’s tight. Looking good a couple days after topping.

1/24/19
Day 20

Refilled the reservoir with 3/4 gallons ro & Megacrop to ec .15, then added 1ml each Voodoo & Tarantula. Total pH 5.8.

I lowered the ec from .275 to .15, b/c the higher dose caused minor tip burn.

She’s growing out four beautiful new tops that are getting closer & closer to the screen.

Not bad for 20 days from germination:

Comparison, 4 days of growth:

1/26/19
Day 22

She’s almost to the screen!

1/30/19
Day 26

My girl got a bit hungry at the end of her last reservoir, so she’s not as green as she once was; I hadn’t added any calcium and I only fed 1/4 strength MegaCrop. I just refilled her reservoir Monday, making sure to adjust her feed strength & add the right supplements. Total ec of r/o & megacrop solution was .23; I added 1/4 tsp each Demeters & Microblast, plus 1/2 tsp each Root Trio & Catalyst. Total ec .27, with a pH of 5.8. New growth is excellent.

Next feed, she’ll get a full half dose of Megacrop.

She’s filling her screen nicely.

2/5/19
Day 32

After making a few noobie mistakes regarding the feed strength of my girl, I think I have it dialed in.

2 days after the last update, I actually went in and changed the reservoir completely b/c she was QUICKLY showing signs of multiple deficiencies. I also gave her a good foliar feed of Demeter, Microblast, and a few grains of Megacrop. New growth is good. Older stuff is showing its battle scars.

Today is officially her 5th reservoir fill:

1 gal ro water
Mega Crop til ec .6
1/2 tsp each–Demeter’s, Microblast, Catalyst, and Root Trio
1 tsp Meta K
.6 ml Mammoth P

PH 5.8

I have defoliated her a bit, both to expose the bud sites & to get rid of the goner leaves. Since I have grown this strain before, I feel safe treating her a bit rough.

2/8/19
Day 35

Just finished up week 5. She’s well on her way to full bloom. I’ve been doing transition nutes for 7 days, though I would have liked to push grow amounts for longer. She’s definitely in bloom, though.

6th Reservoir Fill
1 gal ro water
Mega Crop to ec .55
1/2 tsp each: Demeter, Microblast, Catalyst, Tarantula, Piranha, Voodoo
1 tsp Meta K
.6ml Mammoth P
PH 5.8

She’s looking so much healthier now that I am feeding her proper amounts.

She hit the screen 1/27/19.

2/11/19
Day 38

7th Reservoir fill
1 gal r/o & Mega Crop to EC .595
1/2 tsp each: Demeter’s, Microblast, and Root Trio
3/4 tsp Catalyst
1 1/4 tsp Meta K
.6 ml Mammoth P

PH’d to 5.9

Haven’t needed to do much tucking, plus her pistils are definitely now baby bud buttons, so today she’s officially at Day 3 of Bloom. Bloom started 2/8/19.

The Mega Crop kind of took away a bit of the ability to “nute train” autos. I was hoping to push veg til week 7, but she’s definitely in bloom. Oh, well.

2/15/19
Day 42

Since Fri 2/8, I have had to refill the reservoir 4 times, including today.

Feed amt:
-1 gallon RO/Megacrop ec is to .6 (approximately 1/2 tsp megacrop)
-1/2 tsp each Root Trio, Microblast, Demeter
-3/4 tsp Catalyst
-1 tsp Meta K
-1 tsp Nirvana
-.6ml Mammoth P
PH to 5.8

2/16/19
Day 43

Welp, was checking her float gauge, which now means getting down on my hands and knees, when I noticed this in the fill/overflow hole:

She’s getting a refill tonight:

1 gallon RO/Megacrop ec is to .6 (approximately 1/2 tsp megacrop)
-1/2 tsp each Root Trio & Microblast -1/4 tsp Demeter
-3/4 tsp Catalyst
-1 tsp Meta K
-1 tsp Nirvana
-.6ml Mammoth P
PH to 6.0

I need to clean her reservoir asap, but that means Monday. I decided to decrease the Demeter til then, b/c of res build-up of that amendment.

B/c of my roots, I am out of the grow-off. I reported them to garrigan immediately, and that dumbass disqualified me for cheating. Apparently, reporting that my roots broke the rules meant I was asking for help. So, he completely missed the point…and disqualified me for the wrong thing. Apparently, honesty is cheating.

So, again, I fully accept that my kick-ass plant has kick-ass roots that were outside my planter. However, I did not ask for help on this plant, ever!

@MacGyverStoner

10 Likes

She is looking great Blackthumb.

2 Likes