The Bud Washing and Fridge Drying Experiment

I’m set to reading
What are the recommended temp and RH for the fridge during the cold dry?
I have an extra fridge and may try this in a month or so

4 Likes

It’s actually the freezer portion that is self-defrosting, so I don’t believe that should affect your experiment at all.

6 Likes

Excellent topic, an area that most of us need to improve on.

Your results will certainly influence my drying and curing techniques.

9 Likes

That was me that did the water cure. At least I’m one of those who did. Not sure who else did. This is a cool experiment, but I agree that it’s likely to be hard to evaluate in the end. Then again, that result would tell us something too.

7 Likes

I knew it was someone around here. My poor brain can’t keep up with all the stuff I’ve read, learned, or seen here lol.

6 Likes

I figured it was to good to be true. And even if it was a qp that it held I’d need a bunch of them and at their price I couldn’t justify it. Thanks for the info though.

Stoked you are doing this.

I’ve been washing my harvests but not with hot water.

Did the buds washed with hot water look beat up after ?

2 Likes

The water cured bud came in handy on my recent camping trip. Weed is legal in Oregon and Washington, but not in National Forests or National Parks, as they’re under the jurisdiction of the federal government. Water cured bud has little aroma (or, sadly, flavor) but still has similar effects. So I was able to stay relatively covert without relying exclusively on edibles.

7 Likes

Curing and drying is the part of growing that I need the most improvement in.

With six grows under my belt, it is fair to say that my results have been good but I have yet to produce buds with “bag appeal” in the area of smell. Mine don’t end up smelling like grass or hay, just very little smell at all. If you pinch them a bit the aroma is great for a few minutes but just opening the bag/jar, not much. Potency is excellent.

It takes my buds 7 - 10 days to get down to about 30% of harvest weight at which time I place them in a sealed container and maintain >60% and <75% by burping until they stay at 60 - 62% (about another week or so) then I just monitor them to insure that they are staying at 62%.

The smells are present at harvest and during drying but then the smell diminishes to almost nothing and does not come back, even after a couple of months curing. I still have much to learn…

7 Likes

I can see some good uses of it. Not a first choice with no flavor but definitely some sneaky medicating in places you normally couldn’t.

2 Likes

It sounds like you are doing it right, I mean that’s what I do.

I harvested 9 Afghani plants all different Phenos, 5 of them stink up the room if you open the jar.

4 of them, not so much. One even smells like a berry tea, but very subtle.

Could it just be the genetics? I know you grow great weed and your cure sounds right.

I chopped the AF 5/7, did a large leaf trim(anything with a stem) dried for 14 days, final trim, and been curing for approx 5 weeks.

Anyways, I’m just guessing, but could be the phenos you grew.

4 Likes

Could be but a bit perplexing that White Widow, Gold Leaf, Super Silver Haze and Blue Haze all have the same out come. The only one that had a really strong odor was Purple Haze and that when away after a few months.

I think that it something that I am doing, just have not figured out what it is that I should do differently. Like I said, if you pinch the buds they are very aromatic but just opening them, not so much…they smell super good after grinding! (for vape)

1 Like

I guess so. Did you grow out all of the seeds of each strain?

Not trying to interrogate you, just seems weird.

Beautiful day! I hope you enjoy your 4th!

2 Likes

I don’t mind answering questions…All of these were grown from seeds or were from clones taken from plants that I grew from seeds. All of my seeds are ILGM.

2 Likes

I was more thinking If you only germinated 2 seeds of each strain maybe the other 8 phenotyoes were more pungent.

Just like a couple having 10 children. A few of them are bound to be a little “off”

10 Likes

My family says I am a bit “off” but only three of us.

I have grown 4 WW, 5 GL, 1 PH 1 BH and 3 SSH from seed to harvest
I currently have 1 Maui Wowie and 1 Super Lemon Haze nearing harvest (4 or 5 weeks out)
and two SSH, two Chocolope and two Strawberry Cough completing seedling stage.

This harvest I will really slow the dry down so it takes two full weeks maybe a bit more.

2 Likes

I’m 6 of 7 and I’m sure I would be voted most “OFF” but that well traveled path is so dam crowded

Like I wanna know who the hell was writing the number 34 on my bacon while I was sleeping

14 Likes

That’s pretty cool and very impressive that you even noticed it.

7 Likes

@AAA The Bacon Aliens… man! Hogs are smarter than we give them credit for. I am 1 of 1 so I got a little of all of it.

7 Likes

That is a lie I just wanted to be special for a moment. Truth… is 4 of 4!

3 Likes