The BubbleGum ate herself

A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

Back in Oct. I purchased Bubblegum seeds. I split two seeds, as per your recommendation of putting them in water. 1 seed split… the other did not… I also split one Strawberry kush and a White widow…

Well I got the three plants through flower… and was good with the results, except the bubblegum at week three of flower decided to start eating herself… the vains on the leaves turned brown, and then spread to the entire leaf… she was eating herself…

I was able to get her to week 8 but she didn’t have much left to her…
the Strawberry kush was great as well as the White Widow… both turned out beautiful… with good yields for my first grow…

Has anyone else had trouble with the bubblegum around the same time…
I just split two more bubblegum and one didn’t split… so tried the last two and again only one split…

Just curious…

@ILGM.Zoe hard to say without a support ticket. Did the guest give any nutes?

I started the seeds in a rapid rooter, after I split them… on day 5, From there I transplanted into a 4 x 4 pot in vermisoil… Two weeks later I transplanted again to a 5 gallon pot with Foxfarm ocean… led lights, 24” from plants temp was between 70 and 75 degrees. H @ 50 to 55 % lights on 18/6 cycle.

On week three, I started to feed 1/4 nutes (Grow Box) organic as per schedule. Next feeding I went to 1/2 nutes. Than to full feeding…

In my 5 gallon pots by week 5 I was feeding every three days, 1/3 to 1/2 gallon per plant. I vegged for 5 weeks, and flipped to 12/12.
By the end of week one flower veins on leaves on my bubblegum started to brown, took over the whole plant…

Tried cal/mg, thinking it was P deficiency… didn’t help. Added a shot gun shell ( microbes) plant didn’t care… I will see if I have a pic and post

What pH water were you giving @Saint And what do you mean by “split the seed”?

Welcome to ILGM Forums!

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

Age from Sprout:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Also here is a Deficiencies & Excesses Chart to help you identify what is wrong with your plants

Nutrient_Chart2

047569e630ee5cd20dde4e481a8f48c024eff626

2 Likes

Ph is at 6.5… When I say split the seeds, I mean put seeds in a cup of water for 24 to 36 hrs. to germinate… (Split and root)

1 Like

I have seen many deficiency charts but have yet to see one that shows the veins of the leaves do what mine did…

Strain; ILGM… name of strain: Bubble Gum

Age from Sprout: leaves browned through start of flower

Soil in pots, Foxfarm Ocean, Size of Pots: 5 Gallon

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? Every 3 days or so… finger 2 inches into soil

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir: ph of water 6.5… I never checked run off, other than the color going out

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: mixed nutes based on the schedule… Go Box from General Hydroponic

Indoor or Outdoor: indoor

Light system, size and height from plants: Viparspectra 450 watts Led (2) lights 24” from top. 36 x 36 tent

Temps; Day, Night: day 70 to 75. Night 63

Humidity; Day, Night: Day 50 to 55. night 48 to 55

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: Yes 4 “ carbon filter exhaust fan. 220 com

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: cellar grow… basement water heater is a heat pump unit, which is like a de-humidifier

Co2; Yes, No: no

@Saint

A few comments/ questions on your Support Ticket.

FFOF Is pretty nutrient rich and can have a very high TDS for 6-8 weeks into the grow

What kind of pots?

How old where they exactly? You can veg plants for an unlimited time?

Checking runoff pH and TDS will tell you the condition of your plants roots and nutrients still in the soil

GO Offers go boxes for different lines. Could you list which series you used and at what TDS levels did you feed? or what did you use to determine how much to feed?

When did you test the pH of your water/ nutrients?

PS The pic you posted is showing pH related problems.

We will get you some best practices and will help you minimize these issues in the future.

Split the seed. When someone uses a term that I’m not familiar with I don’t assume we are talking the same thing. Good deal!

Please tag like @bob31 when you respond so I see your answer.

2 Likes

@bob31

Thanks for your reply…

The 5 gallon pots that I use are 12 x 12 rimmed plastic pots…
The Go Box nutes that I used are in the pic along with the feeding schedule.
I have checked the Ph level in my tap water and it is at 6.5 normally… I draw water into 2 gallon watering cans, that I let sit for two days before I use them.
The nutes that I use say that checking ph is not required ( listed on the back below the schedule) so I didn’t get to overly concerned. The nutes are organic and a number of people that pushed them stated that ph was not necessary

As I mentioned before I had three plants that I grew at the same time. (1) White Widow, (1) Strawberry kush, and (1) Bubblegum. The other two were awesome… no issues with leaves until week 7- 8… which is more than likely normal, because by that point I’m flushing nutes anyway.

This grow, I germinated the seeds, and vegged for 5 weeks. On week one of flower is when the fan leafs veins started to brown…got worse at week two…thought it was a calcium issue…cal/mag didn’t help… I flushed with a few gallons of water, thinking it was nute lock…the plant just started to feed on itself…
The pic of the flower I posted before was at week four of flower… At that point all my fan leaves were destroyed, and it started to turn all the small leaves…

calcium-deficiency-cannabis
This is a pic of calcium def. plant.
I did read that you gave cal-mag, so You likely had a cal lock out. A TDS meter, and testing run off next time will help you analyze issues.

2 Likes

@Tr33

I will get a TDS meter and test next time I see this again…
I even flushed, because I thought I might have a lockout…

Thanks for your help…and your time.

2 Likes

Lockout can also occur because the nutrient solution is not properly ph"'d and a more common reason for nutrient lockout. Giving more Cal will not help the problem.

TDS and pH need to be tested frequently and not when a problem presents itself. @Saint

I test the water. Then my mix and then my runoff.

Keeping those numbers in the proper range will eliminate 90% of the growing problems that growers have.

I will get back to you tomorrow on your nutrients and the pH tomorrow.

Do you have calibration fluid for your pH meter? Most tap water that I have tested or reviewed is 7+ pH.

Could you post a pic of the pots that you use?

2 Likes

It’s just a suggestion but maybe it was a Magnesium deficiency all are a different and so individual to each other one off the great thinks I have learnt from all our friends that use this forum is to research everything about your seeds before you do anything those lady’s like alot off different ways of growing them hope this helps :v:sorry also for @Saint

1 Like

@bob31 is there any truth in me hearing that to much Cal can cause a build up a cause a lock out?

1 Like

I will pick up a TDS meter for my next grow… I will also check my ph meter.(calibration)

1 Like

@Johnzy81 Lockout is usually caused by a pH imbalance. Too much of any nutrient can cause an excess issue or not enough can cause deficiencies. Improper water pH can cause the nutrients to not uptake through the roots if it is not matched to the grow medium, especially in potted / indoor grows. Outdoors in the ground is a different matter.

Nutrient_Chart2

2 Likes

@bob31 thank you for the that info I only use organic, so I’m am testing before nutes mix with nutes in and runoff both with my PPM meter and my PH meter all off my lady’s are currently running right on the point with my PH at 6.6 and 7.0 and my PPMs are running at 850 that’s also with Co2 added tomorrow is feeding day I will put up some pictures :v:.

1 Like

@bob31 Thanks again for the chart, on ph levels.
I have heard that FFOF is a hot soil… I will keep a much closer eye on the ph levels. The organic nutes from OH are very low on the NPK numbers.
The nutes that I❤GM, Sells ( flower power) I would assume is not an organic fertilizer… Do these nutes affect the smell, flavor and or plants… NPK number are much higher than OH fertilizer…

1 Like

Same issue with my girl but it’s a ph issue gold leaf

3 Likes