THC Dosage for pain management over opiate treatment

This is an honest question, I’m a medical cannabis patient who has chronic pain and used to be on opiate therapy before starting to use cannabis for the medical treatment of that pain. How much does everybody realistically use out there, in terms of THC to CBD ratio? In

all honesty I probably use up to 800 mg THC and 25 mg of CBD a day in my use for pain management.

9 Likes

I am probably outside the standard deviation for usage but I’m alive and survived coming off of high-dose opiates for pain management.

7 Likes

Ok after a little calculating, I may take a little more than that on daily basis. Combo edibles, tincture, vape, water-pipe Etc.

4 Likes

I don’t know the dosage but I am a recovering heroin addict. Been clean 6+ years. I give you mad props for getting off the pain killers

14 Likes

Hell yeah props to both of you @Stonedrus and @HornHead ! In December I’ll have two years clean from all scripts! Too many different ones :pensive:

11 Likes

I honestly am still trying to figure my dose out atm too. Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

I’m outta likes but good job! Especially if opiates were in there

6 Likes

Yep they were. Opioids, benzos, amphetamines and anything in between that I could get my hands on. And Thank you @HornHead :wink:

5 Likes

Saw a webpage that explained the math in a way I could understand.
1 Gram of weed = 1000mg total
If your stated range of thc is 18 to 21% then you have 180 to 210 mg thc in that gram. 1000x21% (.21)
Most of us will not actually pay a fee to have it tested so I just use the lower range.
SO I just made a batch of edibles with a gram of weed. It made 26 doses…so 180 ÷ 26 = 6.9mg per dose
I know its just guessing on the THC%, but you get the idea

4 Likes

Congrats to all of you! I’m not familiar with any other medicinal use. One thing I read up more is for fighting cancer. There’s a protocol for taking FECO or RSO 60g in 90 days. The extra days is for ramping up dosage to build tolerance. This counts for the oil ingestion only, not by smoking, dabbing or vaping. For a lot of you guys, you might not need 30 days to reach target dose of 1g/day. Standard convention is oils to be at least 70%THC, so about 700 mg/day. The key is even out the amount of THC in your blood stream to reset the system like Endo cannabinoids. Some people split the dose to 3-4 times/day. Most people report their pain is reduced while on this protocol too. I’d never taken that much so I can’t personally vouch for it. Yeah, I’m a wimp.

I also heard that our body can’t process more than that much THC per day. More than that it’s just secreted out like waste products.

4 Likes

That’s very interesting! I suspect that I’m wasting a lot of THC with as much as I ingest and smoke. I’m going to have to sit down and figure up in one day how much I do consume. It would probably really surprise me

2 Likes

When you smoke, about 80% of THC is burned away, never reached your body. You feel like a lot of it gets in because the effects is immediate. Extracting it and ingest delivers more bangs for your bucks. So if you smoke an 1/8 = 3,500mg/day of high THC buds, say like 25% (Gorilla Glue has 27%, I think), 3.5 x 1000mg = 3,500mg of buds has 875mg of THC. Of the 875mg of THC, you burned it away 700mg and it gets into your lungs 175mg. How many eights you smoke, you can multiply that with 175mg to get the amount of THC your body gets. The edibles has very small amount, like 25mg/gummies, for example. I don’t know abouth others because I don’t eat edibles.

Hello everyone, i am new here . Currently i am taking 80mgs of oxycodone per day for my chronic back pain . Ddd , arthritis, spinal stenosis and more . Ive had a fusion and a stimulator implant. I smoke about an 8th per day and although it does help , it does not take away any pain . Any recommendations. Im currently on my first grow. I have 15 plants started , planning to clone them all . I will make rso . What helps your pain . Mine is always at a 10 . Unbearable torture i call it . Do i need to drink a bottle of cbd oil a day . Please help me . I think the rso might help . I would love to be off all pain meds.

7 Likes

I like the topical oil for my back, seems to losen it up

2 Likes

Rso is wonderful stuff if you can get your hands on some. I like it broke down into capsules that you can take throughout the day. I think a combination of CBD and THC helps with my pain.

3 Likes

@DoobieNoobie might have some recommendations for you. He has similar back injuries like you have.

And welcome to ILGM @Greenleef :grin:

2 Likes

Ok what strains do u have growing? Bubblegum good for pain management. There is a few good ones but it will never take the pain away just dull it out. But two hash. Umm also u could do dry sift and just put the kief in capsules.

@Greenleef Don’t waste your material on RSO there are much better ways to make medicine rather than wasting what you do making RSO I also have a spinal fusion and I’m now three years clear and free of all of my pharmaceuticals using this recipe!!! First you must decarboxylate your raw material. Use the whole plant minus the roots. This will give you the highest medicinal effect.

Heat oven to 200-212 degrees. Put desired plant material in a mason jar and seal the top. Put jar in oven for 45 minutes.
After decarboxylation remove from oven and let it cool over night. This will allow the terpenes to absorb into the plant material.

Fill this jar with Organic Coconut Oil. Fill to the top of the jar covering all the plant material.
Cook in a water bath at 118 degrees for 5 days. Stir occasionally.
Remove from water bath and filter Coconut Oil. Squeeze the material to remove all the oil.
Re-fill the jar with new oil and heat for an additional 3 days. Remove from water bath and filter.

Now add Sunflower liquid Lecithin. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to one cup of coconut oil.

This can be used as an oral or topical solution. Enjoy.

3 Likes

I have similar issues across my back. First thing I must tell you upfront is that no amount of cannabis, opiate, topical medication, or oral medication, will ever fully take away your pain. That being said, cannabis helps significantly with my similar pain. Concentration in an edible form is probably best, as I would never advocate smoking and inhaling CO and other carcinogens (though I am a hypocrite). The recipe from @Hogmaster looks to be accurate although I do not personally use the whole plant, but I only trichome farm the crystals, decarb the kief in an oven or “Ardent” and blend accordingly with a fat, alcohol or other. I try to aim for a maximum absorption and potency in the infusion and then adjust my intake accordingly. Sorry to say I dispose of anything that doesn’t make it through 3 screens of sift. :sob: If you can wean off of the opiates and survive on a combination of cannabis, lifestyle changes ( exercise, nutrition), and homeopathic methods (massage, acupuncture, meditation, Tens, etc.) you will feel much better. I wish you the best, and will keep you in thoughts.

4 Likes

I agree. No matter how or how much I smoke it doesn’t help the pain. When I am on cco it does go away for me. If I take them every 5-6 hours I can go months without the pain. Smoking helps me feel better dealing with pain and it’s great for my ptsd. When I harvest I save some bud for smoke but everything else goes in to the coconut oil.

2 Likes