Tent too hot? Two question answer

I’m on my second batch of 5 seeds, because I burned the first 5 by placing them under 1000 W MH light with barely 2 ’ of distance. This time I germinated seeds successfully, didn’t overwater them. Didn’t burn them. I let them sit under a regular lamp for almost a week and the stems showed signs of stretching. The leaves won’t open up or grow just the stem. They ended up starting to fall over and become dark green? (What plant disorder is this?) I placed them in solo cups last night with Fox Farms. Now I have at least 3.5 ’ of distance between my solo cups and lights. I bought two hygrometers. One is a Thermpro TP-50 and I can’t verify the accuracy of either. I live in MI and it’s also a heat wave. I have the tent unzipped at top because temp on both meters are going up in temp. It’s already 83 + and rising. Humidity high 60’s in basement, according to hygrometer. How can I cool it down in here, cheaply?

1 Like

Less than 15 minutes later with the ballast on half power, the temp is steady at 90-92 Fahrenheit per my hygrometers in my basement. The humidity is at 57. The basement always feels cool in my house. Is the hygrometer telling the truth? How do I cool temp in her3 if not

Now i just woke up but it looks like youve got a cool tube. If you do you need to attach ducting & a fan to cool off light. Otherwise it may burn up. Im in texas & always have to deal with temps & humidity so ive got a window unit & dehumidifier going now to keep temps & humidity in range. When your plants get talk & spindly when young you need to transpkant or at least bury stem. You can cover up to a half inch.also can you turn down ballast to lowest power? I use a 400watt mh for my seedlings & turn down balkast to lowest watt & they do fine.

1 Like

I have a carbon filter and 6 in fan. They are connected, but not to light. Is that bad?

1 Like

@Laurap also. Would you always trust your hygrometrr

No you need that as well to draw out air & smells. Ive got a duct running to my cool tube on one side is just duct & filter. On other side ive attached ducting & fan @ end pulling air through.

1 Like

So I should take down duct-fan-duct-filter. Add ducting on ends and connect to light in middle. duct-fan-duct-light-duct-filter? @Laurap, tent is now 96 but I don’t know if it’s accurate hygrometer

1 Like

No baby you will need your exhaust & fan All the time ! This helps remove heat & humidity as well. Ive got my exhaust ducting running out of the top of my tent & thr cool tube ducting running across the top holes on each side going accross. Did i make ant sense? If not i can send a pic after 7pm whrn girls get up.

2 Likes

you made sense, maybe I didnt. I meant should I remove fan and filter so that I can add light in middle with ducting or is the exhaust fine with the fan/filter and cool tube separated

1 Like

Mine are seperate. Ive got exhaust going outta top of tent then across is ducting for cool tube & i run that ducting w/fan on end outside. Your temps are way high, hope youre in veg now. Heat is always bad over 80° but your humidity should be high 60-70% in veg. They will take a lot more stress in veg than flower. In veg you can turn off & on lights, bend & manipulate them, cut their top off, but once flower comes theyre real finicky. High humidity might get you bud rot & along with the high temps mold so take care of all this before going to flower. My first groe was flowering during hurricane harvey & i almost lost whole crop.

2 Likes

Hi@pattydaddy, @Laurap is on the money. connect your filter to one end of your cooltube, Connect ducting to other end of cooltube and then connect your exhaust fan so it pulls air through the filter first , then through the cooltube and exit out through the tent and dump outside of your growing area. Keep in mind that anything over 70 % relative humidity will have a detrimental effect on the performance of your exhaust fan. 70% or above clogs the internal pores of the filter material.

3 Likes