Tds; what's up/ understanding

Various combinations of Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and Light Warrior; General Hydroponics and Advanced Nutrients. Eventually you get to a point where you know how much of a particular nutrient line and its amendments to give and learn to read the plant. With Megacrop I don’t even bother to weigh it anymore and I usually only check PPM at the end of the grow, when I’m cleansing the soil and working my way to under 200 PPM. @thecount13 I’m not recommending you do this(yet)… just answering this question since it came up. I’ll try to keep this thread focused on your questions (if there are any more) going forward.

i use happy frog i have used nutrients . and i have not used nutrients with this soil. both work i suggest using only 1/2 the dose if you are indoors in pots . the only real issue was the p/h of the water i have well water from the ground no filters but the water is hard . i bump the ph to 5/5 or 6 and just use the ph water. it seem to work just fine all i have is a cheap drops p/h kit as long as the ph is close to 5/5 or 6 the plants grow . anything way less less or more . slowed them down. this is my 7th grow of auto flowers i have grown , thc bomb, white widow, blueberry, girlscout cookies,amnesia haze ,my fav . sweet critical was not the strongest but the taste was excellent . just watch your p/h and you will do fine .

2 Likes

Thank you for your sharing your experienced grows. Very helpful.

@Warkat has a fair bit of knowledge regarding a totally organic grow if that’s something that interests you. Gets away from the whole nute in a bottle thing and grows as nature intended

1 Like

Thanks brother it sure is fun learning this stuff.

1 Like

Just my thinking
Lights determine 70%+ of what your PPM needs will be in hydro.

Would you be recommending this be added to FFOF? In the beginning of the grow?

I’m not sure which of my posts you hit reply to when asking that question. If it was the PPM recommendations, my answer is yes/maybe:
Maybe not if this is your first grow. A plant will do just fine with plain water in FFOF starting out.
Once you’re comfortable with growing - for sure. Especially if you have a short-lived autoflower and are trying to maximize growth during the vegetative state. But, as is pointed out all over this site - it’s not necessary with FFOF, so don’t feel like you have to.

2 Likes

Yeah earlier, in this thread the OP mentioned FF as his medium. No worries! I mostly wanted to point out if the OP needs to ask this question it might be good to obstain from adding nutrients? As you say, until you know how the plant will react in your medium. For instance, this is my first attempt at a soiless grow and Im using what was suggested at my local grow store which is a 25 percent mixture of supersoil and promix HP. I was initially thinking my plant was deficient and was mistaken. I was overwatering, plain and simple. I found out by trying to fix what wasnt there, consequently I overfed my dope. I did a partial flush so as not to neuter my supersoil, just to dilute what I had added. After 2 weeks the plants were happy again and began to show signs of normal growth. So now I I know what this mix will do if I do 2 things… overwater and over feed. I think everyone trying something new is bound to have some learning experiences, both good and not so good.

1 Like

Yeah, the Fox Farms stuff was touched on earlier in the thread, both Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. The PPM recommendations above will work fine even with Ocean Forest, which is why I gave it a “maybe” for the new grower. There’s no problem with using it, it’s more a matter of the comfort level of the grower. I’m not sure if @thecount13 is a new grower or not, but it sounds like he/she got all the information they were looking for to make a decision.
If not, let us know!

I believe that you answered what I was looking for. Just nice of those on this forum with knowledge passing it on. thanks

1 Like

What’s the tds of your well water? Is it a good idea to soften the water or should my main concern be to pH it right? I’ve moved to an area where well water is my weapon!