TDS Primmer of a sort?

I’m Positive there is chlorine which let stand 24 hours to dissipate. I’ve never noticed any cal/mag deficient in my 3 grows so far.

2 Likes

Cool,
If you can find the report for your water you can at least know how much of the ppm out of the faucet is calcium and magnesium. Its pretty easy to find as its a federal law that they have to provide the report to all customers.

1 Like

Here is one for a town in my general area.

1 Like

I think our tap has chloramine. I bought but never used it organic liquid humic acid it supposedly neutralizes it.

1 Like

Interesting thread everyone, I never thought to look at our city’s water report.

So how much cal and mag can we say is sufficient in our water, on order to ignore supplementing it with nutes?

@Audiofreak looks like your water is pretty good and your getting solid advice here, as mentioned be sure to let your water sit for 24hr before testing the TDS.

Here is my water sample, I Geuss I’m lucky I have clean Canadian water.

1 Like

Its telling you that discounting non metallic elements such as chlorine and possibly chloramine ( very bad) you have almost 300 parts per million of stuff in your tap water. The best thing to do at this point is to use RO water because your headroom for fertilizer is pretty low at 300 ppm! That’s my opinion others may disagree.

I’m letting some water sit over night and test again.

You don’t need to let it sit overnight to test it. The EC test won’t detect chlorine anyway! So what you get is what you get!

1 Like

If your source water is a lake or stream the values won’t change much. If it’s from a reservoir it will be super stable. If it’s from a water treatment plant it can fluctuate a bit. But that water looks pretty good.

That I don’t know, what is for sure is chloramine does not de gas like chlorine.

1 Like

Yes chloramine is used instead of chlorine because it doesn’t evaporate off like chlorine. I’ve read even lemon juice will neutralize it. Tbh tho I’m not sure it’s an issue because knock on wood my project seems happy and healthy and I haven’t tried to treat for chloramine.

Actually after using a air bubbler in my water then adding nutes etc my ph is 6.45 I’ve been bumping it down to 6.3 so it’s been kinda working out for me.

My tap water is fairly stable for Ph at least about 7.2

1 Like

To be transparent, I’m not sure if chloramine is bad in hydro as far as plant growth is concerned? The main problem with chlorine and chloramine is in soil specifically organic based. I’ve personally seen the results of chlorine vs de chlorinated in outdoor cultivation, and the difference is quite remarkable. It would appear that chlorine kills off the beneficial life forms essential for converting minerals and stuff I to food that plants can use. In hydro, that conversion is already done. So does the chlorine effect the plant itself in a bad way? Perhaps … jury still out in that. For sure it messes with organics big time!

1 Like