TDS/EC and pH Meters That Won't Break the Bank

I tried searching and found several suggestions, but all were dead links. Maybe time for some updates?

Something like the ≈$50ish Apera would be great, but not so budget friendly.

I’d like to find a reliable set for less than just the Apera TDS/EC, if possible, but don’t want to scrape the bottom of the barrel and end up with inaccurate meters.

All suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

These are my first set. I saw someone here rec them. might be too close to bottom of barrel for you but they seem to work?

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-0-05ph-Accuracy-Readout-Temperature/dp/B06XKMH86J

1 Like

I have those in my list, but wasn’t sure about them. There are a few shaky reviews on accuracy. Have you noticed any inconsistency?

1 Like

I would buy the cheap one and immediately start pinching pennies to get the apera, I used my cheap ones for a while and they worked good until they became just for a ballpark estimate, I have had the ph20 for about 6 months and I have only had to calibrate it once.

1 Like

No my tap water has settled to the same pH and tds after a few hours each time I’ve tested. I tested against the pH solution bags they sent. That was accurate. I also compared it to the testing liquid that came with my pH up and down. Agreed there. TDS can’t really say. I have never tested it before so no baseline.

1 Like

Not trying to change your mind…but when I ordered my tent there were quite a few bad reviews on light leak, materials, etc. Mine is perfect, very sturdy, good material, no leaks. When I bought my 105 watt blurples there were tons of great reviews…and those sucked. Just saying!

For a TDS/PPM/EC meter, pretty much any $15 meter on Amazon should suffice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWDVJY9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a pH meter, I would recommend just saving money until you can purchase a good one like an Apera or BlueLabs.

2 Likes

I still use my cheap tds meter though, my main concern was ph.

1 Like

I need to quit asking questions when I’m out of likes. You guys hit me with all kinds of good info and I can’t reciprocate.

You get a like, and you get a like, and you get a like… Everyone gets a like!

3 Likes

I went ahead and ordered the Vivosun set and will plan on upgrading when possible. Thanks everyone! :facepunch::heart::metal::+1:

3 Likes

Touché, sir.

2 Likes

Other than mine is tan and not green that looks like my meter. :wink::yum:

2 Likes

As Tommy stated exactly. I’m still running the cheap TDS meter. Still accurate after over 2 years. The cheap ph meter should be fine but you’ll need to recalibrate weekly so make sure to add more 6.86 and 4.01 calibration crystals to your order because they go fast. The apera ph20 holds calibration real well. I’ll calibrate it’s once a month just for my peace of mind. You can see, if you stay on top of calibration, the cheapy ph meter is accurate.

4 Likes

Just recal the cheap ph meters often. Take that 6.86 calibration powder (or whatever that one comes with), mix it with distilled water and keep in a pint size mason jar and use it to recalibrate over and over, don’t just use it once and throw it out.

3 Likes