TDS and PPM Question

My question is can I use my tap water after setting it out for a few days until I get a RO system installed? Will be a few months. Tired of lugging around distilled and RO from the store. They use chlorine in the city water. Will use distilled for the cloner as I worry about plugging up sprayers.
I know the pros are better then the cons.
Can I use it or no?
Here is what I am looking at. TDS 383. PPM 189.
Thank you kindly.

1 Like

Tap is fine so long as you are letting it sit out for the chlorine to gas off.

Keep in mind that you need to keep the PPM of the tap water into consideration when feeding.

5 Likes

Yes I agree with fixerpower I use tap check ppm and I add a cal mag solution to the drink

2 Likes

TDS and PPM are synonymous. You can’t have both numbers, sorry. So which is it: 383 ppm or 189 ppm?

You can get a muni water report (often online) and that can tell you whether chlorine or chloramines are being used. The first is easy: just let stand or put an air stone in water. Chloramines require chemical intervention or passed through a resin filter. Home Depot sells a ‘Pond Dechlorinator’ that will attack chloramines and is inexpensive to use.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell it is 183 PPM. 383 TDS.

@Myfriendis410
Chlorine.

Can you elaborate on that please?
Thank you.

TDS is expressed in ppm. You are saying your muni water is both 183 ppm and 383 ppm. Can’t be both.

So one of these numbers is incorrect.

4 Likes

So if I have a cheap pen, it goes between TDS or PPM, how do I read it? I thought one read at 189 ppm the other at 383 tds? Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

The 383 is your EC. So you have an EC of .383 and ppm of 189. Which also tells us your meter is a 500 scale meter. For your question, you can definitely use that water. That’s a nice low ppm for tap. Mine is around 250 and I use it with no problems

8 Likes

Thank you all for the knowledge.

You can grab some water conditioner from your local walmart in the fish section to add to the water. Then you can use it immediately. I used a product called jungle start

5 Likes

How long on the air stones? I let it go for about thirty mins is that long enough to get chlorine out?

1 Like

Assuming it’s chlorine and not chloramime, and not ridiculously high, go for a few hours. Using pool tester that was good enough for me. I suppose would vary a little by type of stone and size of pump too.

4 Likes

US/CM the pen I replaced read like that.

1 Like

If I may ask, what did you replace it with? I know the pen was cheap. Trying to figure out what to replace it with and hopefully save another grower from making the same mistake. Wasted $15 on cheap ph pen before getting a blue lab one. Everyone is so helpful on this site. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Thank you kindly.

1 Like

Mine does too. It’s because they read in micro Siemens and were looking for milli Siemens

2 Likes

Definitely looks like I am going to have to do more research. Thank you all.

All you need to do is move your decimal point 3 places to the left when you’re reading Ec. So your reading of 383 is actually .38 ec. Ppms are fine, no converting needed for that.

3 Likes

I appreciate that. Math is definitely not my calling. Trying to learn all I can. That definitely helped.