Taproot popped out but stopped growing! Don't understand why this keeps happening?!

Guys I have a question… I germinated my seeds and the taproot came out in some 6mm and some 2mm long and when I planted them in my glass 25x150mm tubes in coco coir, they stopped growing. I don’t understand why that happens to me so often?! I keep the temp. between 76 and 80 degrees F. I put them back in water for 3 days and nothing, I tried paper towels and plates for up to 5 days and nothing, they just don’t wake up after that. The only thing I can think of is that I used to cover the tubes with foil paper to prevent the roots from getting exposed to light but the person I was learning from he’s a Botanic and has been doing this for over 20 years and he never covers anything from light, he doesn’t have this problem. So i’m confused and reaching out for some extra help or ideas. I’ve included a pic to show what i’m using.

This usually happens in the beginning when the seedling is building its root base. Once established, it will grow fast

3 Likes

All the stretch on them babies is not good. How high do u hace your light and what kind of light is it. Seems like u need to lower the light so they dont stretch so bad first of all.

2 Likes

When u transplant them bury all the stem showing leave like an inch inder the leaves show only. Will hel build a stronger foundation for the buds and leaves.

1 Like

I had the same issues with the few seeds that managed to crack their shell.
I think I had only 2 or 3 out of 20seeds that even managed to produce a taproot and they just died.
Very frustrating but it really makes you appreciate good seeds and healthy plants.

2 Likes

The light I’m using now is 5000k LED 22w that’s perfect for seeds and clones. All they need is 10w per square foot. Before I used PlatinumLED 150w but that was WAAAAY too strong and burned them. (NOT same plants I’m growing now) I have them about 4-5 inches above. Can’t get closer because of the Humidity DOME. Some stretch and some don’t, it’s really weird.

1 Like

Thanks Mark, great advice on transplanting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you using the 5000k LED 22w for starting your plants or start to finish?

Can you explain the use of the glass tubes and why you are trying to put a plant in them?

Not familiar with the technique.

I still believe that the plants need a little more lighting than what they have right now. Will stop all the stretching like they r doing. Light is number 1 in the grow. Try starting them off in a solo cup not them little squares of dirt. See how it works out trying in a solo cup and move on from there. If u see the stem of the plant getting super long the light needs to be moved lower to the plant. Good luck keep me posted on how things are going for u. Use the @ symbol before a name to tag.

1 Like

Man I am no expert, but I keep coming back to this tread every time I see it. I first thought you were a mad scientist with the glass tubes, thinking he has come up with a 95%+ THC plant, lol. That whole procedure eludes me. I am only in my 4th grow, but I have germinated every seed I planted. I put it in between wet paper towels, tap water period. I put them in a small kitchen plate I steal from my bride in the kitchen, and place in a drawer in my study. Regular house temperatures, again nothing fancy. keep them wet, I check them 2-3 times a day, and by day 3-4 I have huge taproots. Disregard the botanist lol, this is not rocket science. Hope I am not upsetting anyone here. I then plant in my new preferred growing medium, Coco, in a peat pot or something similar so once she is ready for final home, it all goes in the new grow bag. I have yet to have any issues. Once they are out, you need good lights close enough to keep them from stretching so much. :grinning:

I was wondering why no one had asked that question

I figured maybe thats how he was doing a slurry or something. Lol. Mad scientist. Lmbo. Love it. I just figured it was a slurry tho. Just not mixed with water yet. I do my seeds in ro water and peroxide for 24 then in a doubled up napkin on a plate put bean on napkin fold over and pour that water from glass on nap next day theres a tap. So far everytime even brought 2 beans to germ like that that would. Ot go with just ro water. So i gave up put in a bag to return with others if they didnt well seen about the ro water in a shot glass and a cap full of peroxide and i did that put a new bean and the ones that didnt germ and they got taps the next day i was shocked myself. Lol

@jetlag thanks for the information about the way you get them to germinate and I used to do the same thing with just two plates and paper towels I also used to do just soak them in water for 24 hours and then straight to medium and sometimes to riot cubes but this new technique that I just started using is called tissue culture and it’s a way to germinate your seeds in the glass tubes germ-free pasta side free and then grow them for a few weeks and then take clones from them but not from the very tops but the stuff you usually throw away when pruning and then also put them in tubes and this way you retain 100% copy of your favorite stream and you actually improve them in this glass tube process!
this was never known to public and this is how laboratories and big commercial growers always have done it. now that you have a little bit more information on it I do recommend researching it further because this is a fascinating subject :slight_smile:

@Maui3659 nobody I am only using 5000k light until they get about a foot off the ground and then I switch to “platinum LED” 300w which is top in the industry nine band 300 watt bulbs that has a switch for veg and Bloom to regulate between the two. I was just hoping to find some people that are using the same strategy to germinate their seeds and do clones through tissue culture. I guess there are still very few of us that know this procedure but I do appreciate everyone’s input and very helpful information not just for me but everyone else who is reading it! Thanks guys and stay safe!

1 Like

What you see in these pictures are the clones that I’m using with stuff that you usually throw away when pruning…

1 Like

Just so everyone understands the benefit of doing clones in these tubes is not only to eliminate germs and pesticides and disease and all that crap, but it also creates much thicker stems and much bushier plants that produce very healthy plants, 100% identical copy of the mother plant if it’s your favorite strain, and with each clone the plant gets better and stronger but not more poten, you are getting 100% potency of whatever that strain produces.

1 Like

If you’d like to learn more you can go to www.microclone.com and see how Bill has been doing this for many many years and how successful he is and what this really is. You can also go to YouTube and search for microclone.com videos

1 Like
1 Like

I did not finish explaining my germinating process:
So I first soak them in water with sucrose, a little bit of B5 Gamborg’s Vitamin, & PPM (plant preservative) for 24 hours or less until the shell cracks or the Taproot comes out and then I plant them in Coco medium inside the glass tubes saturated with same hydration fluid that I used to soak them in with vitamins and sugar. this is a very different process from everyone else knowing but if you do some research you’ll understand why it’s done. This is not your everyday stuff but it was only known to laboratories and big commercial growers like I mentioned earlier. If you’d like to do some more research on it I have shared a website and some YouTube videos that you can watch and get fascinated :slight_smile:
Thanks for everyone’s input!

1 Like

Missed a step*

I did not finish explaining my germinating process:
So I first soak them in water with sucrose, a little bit of B5 Gamborg’s Vitamin, & PPM (plant preservative) for 24 hours or less until the shell cracks or the Taproot comes out and then I plant them in Coco medium inside the glass tubes saturated with same hydration fluid that I used to soak them in with vitamins and sugar. After about 2 to 4 days the seedling grows and sprouts this first four leaves and when they open up to the sky that’s when I replant them from the tube into a riot cube or Rockwool cube. Once the leaves open up it doesn’t have to go into the right cube but could go straight into a growing pot of a small size obviously until it grows bigger and ready to be transplanted into a bigger pot.
This is a very different process from everyone else knowing but if you do some research you’ll understand why it’s done. This is not your everyday stuff but it was only known to laboratories and big commercial growers like I mentioned earlier. If you’d like to do some more research on it I have shared a website and some YouTube videos that you can watch and get fascinated :slight_smile:
Thanks for everyone’s input!

@Mark0427 check out my response.
@CMichGrower check out why i use tubes

1 Like