Tall skinny seedlings

I’m adding photos this time. I an trying to grow Cannatonic plants. I planted 4 in 16 oz cups after germination. They sprouted and grew on set of leaves above the baby leaves then stopped growing. I quit watering them two weeks ago. I tried a humidifier for about two weeks which kept the cups from drying out but kept the humidity about 70% - nothing. Tried putting clear misted domes over for a week of so and nothing happened. My moister gauge says all 4 cups are still “moist” about 1/2 way down. My soil PH is in the green or number 8 range (I don’t know much about PH). Temperature about 79 - 87 degrees. Roots are growing out of the bottom of the cups. Light on about 14 hours. 2 Plants did stretch but stopped. Help! Plants are almost 4 weeks old. What should I do? Any advice would be most welcome.
Resized_20230506_170053

5 Likes

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can. If you aew not sure, just bring it to oue attention. We will figure it out.

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow?
  2. Otigin of seeds?
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower?
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water?
  5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain.
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used.
  8. What typr of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate.
  9. What are the temps in your growspce? Day / Night?
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night?
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"?
  13. Co2 Yes / No?
  14. How long have you been growing?
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully?
  16. If you grow hydro, then please explain your hydro method. DWC, R-DWC, Ebb and Flow, Or; Other? Other?

16b. Size and temperature of solution in reservoir?

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to identify your issue.

Anything you feel would help us give you more informed advice should be included. Feel free to elaborate at the end of the survey.

2 Likes
  1. Starting indoor and plan to transplant to outside soon as possible.
  2. Seeds from ILGM - Cannatonic
  3. Feminized
  4. Distilled
  5. unknown
  6. Soil
  7. No nutrients used
  8. LED 250W HPS/MH
  9. Plants in grow tent
  10. RH - with humidifier 70% w/o 22%
  11. Use humidifier but not in last week.
  12. Use in-line duct fan but temps stay around 85 degrees
  13. No Co2
  14. 2nd grow
  15. Less than $1000, very limited use. Maybe 2 plants per year.
2 Likes

What kind of soil? This is very important with seedlings and cannabis. Some soils are hot meaning very heavy nutes and not suitable for seedlings which looks like what has happened in your case. What i would suggest is you want to try to save these if possible is transplant into a cannabis friendly soil. If you want to start over, find a good seedling starter mix and try again. These guys are about 3 weeks old and i juat topped them tonight. I grow organic.

6 Likes

The soil is a mixture of different brands of garden soil. What is suitable cannabis friendly soil? Last year I grew several plants in the same batch of soil.

3 Likes

And thank you for your input.

3 Likes

Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Happy Frog are two common ones. I think most use the OF. They’re made specifically for cannabis. There are a lot of other soils that growers use. Do some research and if you’re thinking of trying something other than OF just ask on here and I’m sure someone will give you an honest opinion.

2 Likes

If not watered for 2 weeks and in high humidity, that soil is probably “stagnate” fir lack of a better word…

Not really alot can go wrong with seedlings other then root issues.
I would almost bet if them cups have good drainage, a good water just might make them start growing again…

2 Likes

Also turn the light up to 18 hours a day. You said the light was on for “about 14 hours”. You need a timer to keep the lights on the same amount of time

4 Likes

Very good idea :+1:
If not 24 hours on, i run my seedling 24 hours light fir first few weeks, sometimes a month then ill drop the 18/6.

6 Likes

Hey everyone! First time grower here. With some questions of course. Germinated seeds approx 3 weeks ago and was using a cheap led grow light up until Friday when I got a Vivosun vs1000. So I’m pretty sure my plants are behind where they should be by now. I have the light at 24” and 50% power, setup in a small closet 2x5. Using fox farm happy frog soil. They are a little tall and leggy I think from the crappy first light, but yesterday the cape poison fell over and today it appears to still be growing. Thought maybe it was “damping off” but now I’m not sure what I should do with it. Appreciate any help from the group. Thanks and happy growing!

4 Likes

First off congrats on your journey to becoming a grower. Its alot of fun, it can be both rewarding and costly though. The light you ave bought will technically get those plants through veg, but you are gonna need more power to flower them out. The leggy plants and falling over are from a couple things. Your light is not powerful enough and probably a bit far away. You need a par meter or phototone app to check you par level on lighting. Next air movement, this is very important and the swaying on the plant causes it to build strength to where it will stand up strong. In the meantime use something to help prop on the plant that is laying down on you.

5 Likes

First of we need to build up the soil around the base of the seedling to support it. Next place your light 16 to 18in above canopy. Power up to 25% on your light. Download the photone app to help get your light at around 200 ppfd. This will help dramatically. Yoir babies have stretched to the point of hurting them. You can save them. Just give them a few days to recover. A clear solo cup used as a humidity dome will help also. Seedlings take in their water through the leaves for the first few weeks. Let your soil dry out and then water in a circle around the solo cup just a bit. This will help with root develoment and help establish a wet -dry cycle. With soil, you dont want it to completely dry out because you will kill beneficial microbes in the soil that rely on moisture to thrive. Keep your temps around 80 if possible.

5 Likes

Hey man thanks a lot! I got the photone app and lowered light to 16” and dimmer to 25%. I’m only getting 40 PPFD from there. Bumped it to 50% power and I’m only at 80 ppfd. Should I lower the light more or increase the power until I’m at 200 ppfd? I packed the soils a little around them and standing up straight now. I forgot to mention I do have a small fan on low blowing on them.

4 Likes

Ph is important to cannabis. 6.2-6.8 soil. If a living soil and done correctly ph is not so much a worry. Self regulates. A ton of issues I see from newer growers comes from ph fluctuations or just out of range. A little hot can be compensated with strict ph control. Lockout from ph is common. Some strains are super sensitive. GG is 1. Welcome to the forum and you have some great growers up here to help. Remember this…takes no time to mess up but days to week or so to recover. Patience grasshopper.

4 Likes

@Shaggy1987 yea, play with the height and intensity until you hit 200.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community. You will get the best advice right here. Happy Growing :v: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community! You don’t need a par meter… keep it simple… if the plants are stretching too much, lower the light and raise the intensity.

Bury the seedling by adding soil and bury that lanky stem. If you are in solo cups still, make sure there is drainage (poke hols in the bottom of the cups).

You can use the soil you are using and just amend it with cannabis friendly nutrients/amendments but wait until you transplant into their forever pots.

5 Likes

I cant remember last time i used my light meter. Since cannabis can handle more light than most plants i just make sure they get enough. They will speak to you. Typical light burn is heat from too close. Once you know your lights you will be able to shoot from the hip.

3 Likes

Welcome to the fam my freind :grin:

You can suport the leggy seedlings any way you can think of. Bury the stem with more soil, or prop them up with whatever you can think of. Paper clips work good or just anything really.
Just be careful to not damage it and they will be fine.

As said, a light with 100watts of actual power draw is really about the minimum to grow one plant to harvest.
And that really isn’t going to produce alot of bud.
Now split that among multiple plants and you’ll still get the same amount of bud, it will just be spread amongst multiple plants…
One of those lights for each individual plant would be ideal.

This doesn’t mean that light will Not grow multiple plants from seed to harvest because any light will, it just want be a very good harvest in the end. Little harvest weight and most likely airy nugs rather then the dense ones we all love so much :grin:
But stick around and we’ll do our best to help you get the best out if whatever you got to work with.
Experience is important, but you really may want to start thinking about a more powerful light.
The first question to know what light is best for you is.
What size of space do you want or have to grow in?

1 Like