T5 light question

Yes , actually it’s the perfect time , it won’t hurt at all .

Perfect! you guys rock!

Keep us updated on your progress for others who plan on using T5’s lighting .

10-4 Yoshi will do. OK so here’s an update. Got some 3000k bulbs at my local grow store. Unfortunately they don’t carry the 2500 / 2700 MacGyver suggested. And they only had 5. The other 3 will be in Monday. However, it gave me a great perspective in the color difference. I was surprised to see the 3000k were not as bright as I anticipated. (Thinking brighter for flower) But not the case. And I also saw how blue tinted my 6500k really are. With nothing to compare them with before the new bulbs were installed. I’ll keep you updated and hopefully I can pass on a little something for someone else. :grinning:

ECB

Remember, how our eyes see the “brightness” is not really indicative of how bright the lights are. Red light never looks as bright as green or blue light to our eyes, it is just how our eyes work, it is why you can used red light to read with in the dark and it won’t ruin your night vision. It is just as “bright” or intense to the plant, or maybe even brighter to the plant, as in general, plants can use a lot more red light than blue.

~MacG

1 Like

That certainly makes a lot of sense. So just out of curiosity, Why don’t more peps use T5’s, if its a simple matter of changing bulbs? Is it cost? A matter of personal preference?

bud density off t5s and cfls is less tends to be airy except where it is closest to the light source PAR and LUX differ greatly, HID have proven penetration and results. Led and induction have come a long way but are still catching up with tried and true HID.

Guess you didn’t watch the video, it does depend a lot on how you scrog and grow them.

~MacG

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input. I have learned a ton in the last few days. I’m sure I didn’t use my lights and space to my best advantage. But such is the learning curve. At least I know exactly what I will do in my next grow. 1 or 2 plants with a scog set up. Being new to this, I did try a little LST. Though I wasn’t all that successful. The main colas’ still got the better of me. Trying to be to cautious probably. So I’m expecting a low yield because of light positioning. But that’s OK. I will learn from my mistakes. Still excited though, hopefully what I lack in volume I will get in quality. Stay tuned for updates.

What kind of light you use to grow greatly depends on budget and how much time you want to spend working on your plants. In my case had 7 ballasts given to me for a texas mickey $110.00 shades included. Also have grown up around HID grows my whole life so setting them up adjusting and controlling the heat was simple for me. Also I don’t have space constraint to worry about time to work on my plants daily is more of a factor. I believe given time and research a person can make almost any light system work to meet their needs. For someone just starting out tried and true fits into the KISS motto since they can focus more on understanding what makes their plants happy proper feedings understanding their ph and nutrient issues without having to worry about training as much once they have learned that and developed more control know when their plants are healthy temp and humidity is right. Then playing with training and lighting options becomes simpler since they know they are doing the rest right and which adjustments are truly getting them results.

1 Like

Donaldj, that is exactly the approach I took. Learn about the plants, how they grow, what nutes, water, PH and just keeping them happy and healthy. I think I was pretty successful in that regard. Fortunately I have time to tend them daily. Here are a couple pics

4 Likes

Girls are looking good how long have they been in flower?

they are in 3rd week

You are doing great and they still haven’t reach the full growth . It’s in the last 3 weeks in flower they will definitely put on more wieght and more resin and swell up , but if you add another T5 vertically , you would definitely not be disappointed . On the other hand when you harvest it won’t be much work , as to say bigger taller plants . I’ll take a small full grow over a tall wide space grow any day .

lol I’m just shaking off my rust been 8-9yrs since last time I grew actually have to think again each step you don’t use it you lose it. That and strains and tech have come a long way so any procedes gained will be reinvested to improve yields and speed of growth. Still adding to my nute collection next is leca, smart pots and humidifier co2 later

Just a quick update on my white widow grow. got the bulbs all changed out to 3000k. The girls are doing great. Hairs tuning brown, buds getting bigger and getting nice and frosty. Any suggestions on how far from the canopy to keep my T5 lights? I have them pretty close. About 6" or so. No burn or anything, just want to make sure I’m at a good height. Thanks

ECB

I don’t really think a T5 would burn , and being fluorescent lights , you need them close to penetrate the canopy , unless you trimmed everything under neath your colas tops to just focused on the colas . If at they will burn , it won’t be as bad as a HPS or MH or Led burn I’m sure . But you can always rely on old faithful by using the back of your hand . If the heat is to hot for the back of your hand , than most likely it’s to hot for your plant canopy , and adjust accordingly to how warm the distance is to your hand .

excellent, thanks for the tip Yoshi.