Syrup substance dripping from sugar leaf

@PurpNGold74 @blackthumbbetty @dbrn32
Any and all please chime in.
Ok so I’m in the flushing stage of my chocolate skunk auto and there is a thick sugary substance building up on the end of a sugar leaf? I tasted it sweet like syrup. What is this? Is this a good or bad thing. Thank you all. No pic I was high and didnt think about a pic. That’s why they call it dope

2 Likes

Get us a pic and we c as n help better tho

I’ll have to wait until another one develops. She’s done it twice now.

Probably gnat poo!!!

6 Likes

Inside grow no gnats and there was way to much to be made by gnats

I know… But I had to come up w somin since you tastes it… LMAO

7 Likes

I laughed for this reason, omg so good haha

4 Likes

I don’t know if it is good or bad, I suspect it is neither.

I have had a few of my plants get a tiny droplet of sweet tasting sap (looks like sap to me).

I have no idea what causes this but I would not worry about it. I does taste really good.
I wonder if there is a way to induce the plant to produce this stuff. If decarbed, would it have any effect? Don’t know.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what it is. I’m definitely saving the sugarleafs. I dont know what to do with them or how to store them. So if you could tell me I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

I don’t know how to store them either, I just get the little drop off with a small stick and put it on my tongue.
There is a pile of leaves (both fan and sugar) in the forest because I don’t make edibles.

1 Like

It’s not the greatest pic just zoom in on shiny spot in center of pic

3 Likes

Yup, that is exactly what I get from time to time. I don’t see it on every grow but it may be happening and I just don’t catch it.

I’ve had a similar sap type substance come out during the drying process when I would crack a stem. This only happened with Mephisto which is known for producing crazy amounts of resin. Btw, the smoke with that was my best yet!

2 Likes

I just thought it was weird. It didn’t happen on either of her sisters.

1 Like

Awesome it seems logical that if she’s excreting resin it must be loaded.

Here’s a different spot. It seems to be doing it in a few different spots @VTGROW

@Psu8286. @VTGROW. Outa likes. But I’ve seen this as well.
And can confirm it was some of my best too.
It’s kind of a WTH moment on first sight. :grin::v:

1 Like

Oh, it’s just sugars escaping from the plant. It happens occasionally. It’s called “Guttation”.

Here’s some more info:
(borrorowed from another forum)

What you’re describing is called Guttation, and what you’re seeing is a sap exudate. At night, transpiration usually does not occur because most plants have their stomata closed. When there is a high soil moisture level, water will enter plant roots, because the water potential of the roots is lower than in the soil solution. The water will accumulate in the plant, creating a slight root pressure. The root pressure forces some water to exude through special leaf tips or edge structures, hydathodes, forming drops. Root pressure provides the impetus for this flow, rather than transpirational ascent. This sap exudate can be clear, tan, brown or even blood red (The red colour is due to haematin compounds and anthocyanin pigments that naturally build up in some varieties; The red colour may also indicate a nutrient deficiency, notably of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, or magnesium). This sap usually contains a variety of organic and inorganic compounds, mainly sugars, and mineral nutrients, and potassium. Upon drying, a white crust remains on the tissue surface. Guttated sap exudates most commonly exude from cannabis, along both sides of the leaf axil, where the petioles attach to the stem. Though Guttations typically exude(in most plants) through modified leaf stomata known as hydathodes, in cannabis guttations most commonly exude at the leaf axil, or another part of the stem via a stoma.

A brief article about your xylum and goo:

Important info in the last paragraphs.

12 Likes

Interesting they it’s clear. Mine was dark orange or brown.

1 Like

Read the above. It can be any number of colors.

2 Likes