Switching to coco next grow

Hi fellow people,

so next grow I’m switching to coco. I’ve learned some things about coco but probably not enough lol…

I know 5 gallon bags are better for watering issues. Unfortunately, at this point, I have to go with 3 gallon. Eventually I want to get a fabric autopot set up but out the budget right now.

Which brings up this question… has anyone used one of these automated water drip system with any success? Sounds like they work good for water… im wondering about the Silica. I know it’s not gonna last real long, but I would hope a couple grows.

Automatic Watering System Indoor Plant Auto Watering - by Digital Timer Irrigation Controller Watering for Garden Flower Plant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CW5B2WX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YBN4NGE0802SVXRTEGY2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking of using a coco/vermiculite blend for better water retention. Any thoughts? I’ve read perlite reduces water retention and probably isn’t needed

Local nurseries have nothing in-stock. Im wondering about brands since some sound bad. I was looking at this

CANNA Coco Brick 40l Expandable Natural Plant Medium Soil Substrate, 40 Liter Expanded - 8 Liter Dry, Reusable (1) Amazon.com

This is what I want down the line or something similar. I really wish I could find the 3.9 gallon fabric pot set up. I also wonder if fabric is as important with coco since fabric would increase evaporation?

AutoPot Spring Pot 4 Pot XL System with 12.4 gal Tank (5 gal Spring Pots) Amazon.com

I’m already using jack’s 3,2,1 and have silica and cal/mag. I have until December or so. Im not familiar with starting seedlings in coco but all that will come later im sure. Right now I’m thinking like this :man_shrugging:

@Gremmall @Nicky @Graysin

If you guys know who can help please tag

I’ve read some topics on here. Are there any particularly good ones?

Thanks friends

3 Likes

I haven’t used coco myself but when I do I’ll be using the 3.9gal plastic pots, probably. Autopots. As far as I understand it, coco is hard to overwater so the plastic doesn’t worry me as much as it does in soil.

It’s my opinion after having slapped together my entire RDWC system “the cheap way” first that it’s probably better to wait and save up to be able to afford the system you really want instead of a “make it work” system. I spent about $300 bucks along the way that I absolutely didn’t need to spend if I had just waited a few weeks.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too… I think they’re a little cheaper too. I’ll have to check to see which is taller. Im height challenged :rofl:

:laughing:…oh yeah. I got stuff all over I wish I wouldn’t have bought. Im just seem to keep having issues in HF and been getting some eye rolls from the wife :rofl: So I really feel the need to go to coco. Just worried about keeping them watered. This month I already need to buy new ph and tds meters. My other one junked out. Just lost a timer today lol. (The auto pots are looking less and less like my Christmas gift to myself)

Thanks for replying :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I use 5 gallon and 2 gallon cloth bags and also 3 gallon and 2 gallon plastic pots with straight coco. The only difference I see between them is plant size vs pot size. The plastic vs cloth is dead even.

5 gallon bags can go every 2 days needing water in all but my girls thirstiest times while 3 and smaller need feed every day :+1::cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I’ll probably end up with 3.9 plastic auto pots. I definitely need to check the height. I think 5 gallon would too tall til I can figure out how not to stretch. But I’ll be using regular seeds down the road so ill have more control. So maybe 5 would work

Yeah, that’s why I was thinking about a cheap watering system for a grow or two. I can barely remember to get dressed every day :laughing:

All I use now is coco w jacks. Some I hand water my big room is automated. I don’t know why the irrigation device you have listed wouldn’t work. I prefer halos instead of drippers due to clogging and pressurized feed is better than gravity. Any questions feel free to ask. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

2 Likes

That’s my goal

clogging is what worries me. The one I was looking is adjustable from drip to mist. Maybe there’s a way I could rig a halo.

It says it has a pump so it must have a little pressure

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ll have more questions :smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure why you would be worried about water retention with an automated system? No big deal if you would just rather use vermiculite, but I don’t see it as necessary. In fact I believe that mechanically 70/30 blend with perlite is superior, but I don’t really nerd out on that stuff much.

If you are pumping I wouldn’t worry about clogs over the course of a grow using synthetics. Just clean after harvest. 3 gallon fabrics also plenty big enough. Shouldn’t need calmag either running 321 recipe. Increase calcium nitrate if you see calcium deficiency, Increase magnesium sulfate if you see magnesium deficiency. What is the concern with silica?

Really weird you can’t find coco locally. I feel like you are in at least somewhat same area as me, and all of my shops have it. $22 for 50 liter bag of canna that is typically $50-$60 on Amazon.

3 Likes

I just buy viagrow fluffed coco from home depot site and just buffer it myself , no complaints so far ( easier to work with then bricks) hmm they jacked up prices again blech the 2 packs not to bad though

1 Like

Well, I was thinking, hopefully, I can get away with just watering. I thought if I could get better retention, I could get away with watering every other day without the irrigation system

Good to know, im just paranoid lol. Watering everyday is my only reason to go to 5 gallon bags to avoid that. As far as cal/mag, someone said I would need it in coco :man_shrugging:

Right now, I can recognize overwatering, underwatering, nitrogen toxicity and light burn :laughing: Tbh, until just now, I thought calcium nitrate was only the “N” of nkp. I thought calcium deficiency was a different animal and would need just calcium

Like cal/mag, I was told you have to use silica in coco. Im not sure what it does lol.

The only box store place, close, is Walmart, a 15 mile drive, and I was told their lawn n garden was done and they replaced the area with Xmas stuff :rofl: :rofl: Home depot, Menard, Lowes… those are 35-40 miles. In my '91 Silverado, between gas or shipping it’s about break even. It has horrible gas mileage. Im referring to a couple closer by nurseries (that’s all they do) that run pretty bare bones at this time of year. I’ve also noticed their prices are definitely in line with Amazon, if not more. Im literally in the middle of cornfields surrounded by bean fields and other little towns

Once again Db, thank you for taking the time to help me. You’re awesome

4 Likes

I was not thrilled that it comes in bricks. I prefer fluffy bags. So much easier. This hobby can be kinda messy and don’t have alot of room for the muddy portions. Another reason to switch to coco. Thanks for replying

Take a look at the hydro lock system maybe. Fairly cost effective.

2 Likes

Get away with and where you would want to be are two different things. You can get away with feeding every other day in straight coco early, maybe even throughout grow. That isn’t what you should be trying to do in coco grow. I would shift your line of thinking from “I may have to feed every day” to “I will finally be able to feed every day”. Coco doesn’t perform any magic, just allows you to feed at very high frequency. The constant feeding is what increases your growth rates.

8 Likes

You will need calcium and you will need magnesium. Yes kinda especially in coco, but cannabis needs these period. Coco, soil, hydroponics doesn’t really matter. Jacks supplies calcium through calcium nitrate and magnesium via magnesium sulfate (epsom salt). You can increase/decrease either as needed and omit “calmag” in just about all cases. Chances are your calmag is just watered down calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate. I don’t exactly remember label, but I think jacks calcium nitrate is 15% nitrogen, 18% calcium, and maybe iron too.

It’s probably a good idea to use some, but your plants won’t die without it. Silica can fill several roles within your grow. Check your ph up, may already have some silica in it. If not, there are several pretty affordable ways to get some.

I figured you had a couple of hydroponic shops nearby.

1 Like

I love the way you think!! You’re absolutely correct…

I guess I was looking at coco as a way to avoid issues im getting in soil. Too many variables. Other than ppm, you don’t know what’s in there.

I just wish I had a water source on the same floor as my grow tent. Right now, I’m humping 4 gallon milk jugs of water up and down stairs. Wife says a hose running up the stairs would be tacky :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Only takes me a few minutes to expand a while brick. I use a screwdriver and break it up on smaller pieces before I expand it. It makes it 100 times faster lol. Way easier to store the brick over the bags. Bags take the chance of coming with pests in it a brick won’t. They is alot of variables in this brick vs bag thing. At the start of the plant u won’t need to water but every 3 or 4 days and then the days get to where u r watering once or twice a day in flower. Ur gonna love it either way I think.

2 Likes

Good, smells awful :laughing:

I knew plants needed calcium and magnesium, I was referring to the calmag product

There’s a couple in Rockford, but that’s a pretty good haul. I’d like to visit one for sure… but I’m a sucker for sales people. I’ll walk out with a $1000 DWC system and be divorced :rofl:

3 Likes

I saw Mr Greengenes has that setup… but I didn’t know what it was called. Thanks!! Very interesting

1 Like

Those people who say “it’s cheaper to keep her” i don’t they’ve met my wife. Would be tempting over here.

5 Likes

I was thinking canna coir bricks. But have only researched coco a couple days now. Thanks for the information, it helps

1 Like