Switching the light cycle tmr to 12 12, have a few questions

So she’s getting pretty big, and I’m worried about light leaks, I have two 100% light proof curtains, the only prob is if I seal it up that way should I also use tape? She’s in a small closet, but has growing room, I’m just curious about the whole light leaks, I also have a tv that’s on in the same room basically at all times, but the thing is…I actually have a grow tent, it’s being used for something else right now which is still very young, and I think this girl is used to her environment where she is, she’s accustomed lol. I have her on a feeding schedule twice a week, three very good fox farm nutes, going to be checking the ec ppm ph all that and logging it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

1 Like

Hi @Dell5001, I hope this helps…I would hang a towel from the moulding around the door to cover the top and sides of the opening with some pins. Or even heavy duty garbage bags hung with some tacks. That might be easy to remove and put back when you check on your plant. I would also put something in front of the door at the floor. Im assuming with the door closed any fresh air your getting into the closet is coming from under the door. You can lean something in front of it at the floor as to block any light from getting in from underneath the door which can be more than from the sides. Leaning something in front will still allow air to come in from the sides. A 4" or 5" piece of wood cut just over the width of the door and simply leaned up against it at the floor will do and its easy to move and put back…if you remember!.
Nice plant, Goodluck with it!

3 Likes

@abouttime well, there is no door lol

2 Likes

I had to improvise for about 2 weeks using a closet. You cannot have light leaks when her lights are off. Can you tape the seems of the curtains? I use gaffer tape because it sticks way better to fabric.

Got it…yeah a good dark curtain… Of some sort is needed. Overlap the opening to minimize the leaks. Your gonna have to jury rig something. No light means no light…

No light leaks don’t play with it might trow your whole grow away .

I wanted to say during veg cycle you can have light leaks, but when they transition to flowering it’s a whole new game. Light leaks will hermi I’m proof of that cuz I’m in a closet with gaps. I would minimize light leaks as best you can, run 8 am to 8 pm, and try not to turn on any room lights if at all possible. And while in flower keep close eye out for yellow flowers anywhere to catch any hermi. I have caught them with little or no damage. Plant looks good keep up the good work @Dell5001 :smile:

@abouttime @Caligurl @Dennis62 @Randy_Marsh

So, going to put a board on the bottom and still try to get airflow in, but I tested it and could not see the hand in front of my face very well at all, that was with the tv on, and this room that the closet is in has since proof curetains and shades on window and door to room, so it is naturally quite dark. I also have the option of turning my room light to green? Should I do that if I need to do anything while she is sleeping? I couldn’t really see any leaks, and I was laying on the floor looking straight up to, so the curtain was open on the bottom at the time without the board, I’m guessing it will be ok, I can’t really get in there very well as you can see haha, but it works, I had to jerry rig it up a bit, like I said my actual tent is being used right now and I do not want her to get shocked, she has been through a lot.

1 Like

Maybe a fan to circulate, it’s gonna get hot quick

1 Like

Do t look for light leaks from the inside… look from the outside

I grow in a closet with no ventilation, can be done but you need to get fresh air exchange as much or often as you can, I grew one plant all the way doing that. In the future you can supplement co2 with a exhale bag so you don’t have to open at all. All I have is lights and a small fan. But to use co2 bags it takes a while to start putting off co2. I start my co2 bag the same time as my seed go in dirt, by the time my plants are bushes and need co2 it’s being produced. You need air exchange to introduce co2 into grow area, or deal with it some way. It works for me

@Dennis62 @Caligurl @Randy_Marsh @abouttime

Turned light in bedroom to green if I need light

4 Likes

Looks good for now

1 Like

Looks about what I had to do. I had a smaller fan that I was able to drape the curtain around and over and tape the hell out of it… so hard because you have to have air flow but can’t let light in…

Looks better… this is another thing I’ve done since the beginning of my grows…I run my lights at night to save $ because electricity is cheaper at night. During the day I’m not home to spoil the lights out time by peeking in or turning a light on in the adjacent room. This way when you are home at night, the lights are on in the closet all night and it doesn’t matter if you have a party with a light show! A small 2’-3’ section of 4" round duct to use as a transfer duct for fresh air can be placed down low in the corner of the opening into your closet and carefully sealed around it with that blanket for light leaks, will allow fresh air into the closet. Just put a bend in it to refract any light from coming in during lights out. Put a small fan on the inside near it to help pull the air in.
Just a few ideas…good luck!!

1 Like

@abouttime @Caligurl @Randy_Marsh

I’m pretty lucky having the type of light I have for the main room outside the grow room, it’s a smart light so I have it set to green at night, I have her on a timer for the light, I have been opening her up during the day to freshen her up, but I did some inspecting for hermies couldn’t find any so far fingers crossed, but she’s looking good, I’m trying to get the humidity down it’s around 55% but I do not have a dehumidifier. Here’s a couple pictures of some of her little bud sites

3 Likes

@abouttime @Caligurl @Dennis62 @Randy_Marsh

Well, I have her chamber all ready, now I have airflow going in , how do I get the temp down? Will it lower when light is off? Should I put ice in front of my fan? Also VPD is a little over 2.0

2 Likes

Simple way to reduce heat , light periods at night and and lights off at the hottest time of day , get a small circular fan to move air inside , the only way to get heat down only by introducing fresh air flow or an actual cooling unit…

1 Like

Vpd? I don’t think ice would be a realistic way to go

1 Like

Hey @Dell5001 how big is your closet? And what model of light you got? Don’t think temperature should be too bad, and yes temps go down when lights are off. How high are your temps?

1 Like