• Method: Happy Frog Soil
• Vessels: Fabric Pot
• PH of Water: 5.5 - Distilled
• PPM/TDS: No nutrients
• Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor
• Light system: LED Spiderfarmer 4000 30 inches from top
• Temps; 71-75 degrees f
• Humidity; 60%
• Ventilation system; 6inch exhaust fan on a 2 out of 10 setting. Small fan blowing air around the plants
• Heater: Humidifier
• Co2; No

I’m not sure what’s going on here. The white you see is some Diatomaceous Earth that I spread on the soil the other day. Some leaves seem to be clawing a bit and then developing brown spots. On the bottom right side of the leaf in the first picture you can kind of see the brown spots.

1 Like

I would bump the PH up to correct range; 6.3 to 6.8. Give it a couple of weeks and it should be fine.

FYI it is wise to avoid getting DE on the leaves as it will clog the stomata. If needing DE for fungus gnats it’s better to change watering practices…

2 Likes

Thank you! Can I just use some PH Up or is there a better way to do that? I’m not sure how to get the DE off either :grimacing:

1 Like

I would leave the DE on the leaves at this point. She’ll be growing a lot more shortly.

Yes; PH up into your water, or you can water with straight R/O or distilled without worrying about PH.

2 Likes

agree with @Myfriendis410 100% here… the PH is too low and the steps given can get you away from the issue… be careful using the PH acids because they can really impact beneficial microbes in your soil … esp if you are out of the safe zone very far… paying good $$ for quality soil just to accidently wipe out the microbes making the nutrients available for the plants in the first place kinda defeats the purpose of spending the extra $$…

3 Likes

I appreciate it! I actually just found that my tap water is pretty close to the desired range. I’m going to set that out for 24 hours, and then I start using that.

thats def some great news that will help you alot in the long run… like you said just let it sit out to get tepid over a 24hr period or so and you will likely be just fine

And if you dont have ph up locally. Baking soda is ph8.8, so you could cut a little in to raise your ph, but I have only grown soil.

FWIW, my municipal water is 7.7 ph. I let it sit in my grow tent for 24 hours to dechlorinate and get its temperature equal to my soil and roots. It also adds a little humidity that I need.

Then i add my nutrients to the water and a quarter teaspoon of vinegar (from our kitchen) and I end up very near 6.5.

It’s not modern ph up or down, but it works for me.

Note, I feed as soon as I mix it all up.

1 Like

You can run into issues with Baking Soda as PH up; loads the media with sodium bicarbonate salts. Short term is fine. Lemon juice, citric acid, vinegar all work but standard PH down is phosphoric acid which is a micronutrient for the plant.

2 Likes

Learning every day. That’s what I’m here for. I know some stuff, but joined to learn from experts. Thanks for the clarification @Myfriendis410. I have only needed to ph down. Other than not having a micronutrient, im glad vinegar doesnt cause problems with buildup or anything. This time, I’m using nutrients. I’m learning about soil. Eventually I want to just have great soil I put together and leave nutrients behind.

2 Likes

I’ve had to use baking soda in a bind before just once and was okay but I never thought about the salt left behind thank my friend… but @Myfriendis410 I wanted to hear more about the DE and clogging stomatas…I’ve used a de/water spray in the past trying to combat fungus gnats like you stated but AGAIN didn’t consider this man… Thanks so much I got a double dinger outta this one…:+1::astonished::+1::+1:

2 Likes

There is so much crap to know at the micro level to do well that it’s good for more experienced growers to shortcut the newer folks. Hopefully you will pay it forward someday.

1 Like

its all part of the journey we are all on as growers… i really enjoy the conversations i have had here since joining a few days ago… this site is great and looking forward to many more discussions in the future… organic growing saves me so much hassle now but wow it took many years to get to that point… but happy to help fellow growers in any way i can…

1 Like

There are a few organic growers here and we need more. The main thing I see though is the plants are so nutrient hungry that they exhaust the soil before they’re done (unless in large containers). @garrigan62 knows organic, @Mrcrabs builds his soil too.

1 Like

this is great and thanks for tagging them into this… i bet they have tricks or methods im not aware of and we are all here to learn… i know what you mean and i started building my soil up heavier than i ever imagined i would… my first several attempts were all just learning and i found myself juicing them with bottle nutes quite a bit to keep things moving along…its loosly based off the old subcool recipies with a few twists here and there… i do normally topdress here and there as needed but its usually only 1 or 2 times … i also let it “cook” for a while before planting in it to give things a chance to break down… that is a whole process within itself… there is alot that goes into it up front but makes for smooth sailing once you get it locked down…

1 Like

Thank You @Myfriendis410

I for one have not heard this. But if you have. Then you would finish that grow by adding whats` needed. And add more of whats requared in the next grow.
What may wotk for one may not for the other.
It. It has taken me a long time doing this to get where i am today and i want to share this so others won’t waste their time trying.
@if3gt4
I didn’t forget you sir,
Welcome to our world of growing here ar ILGM and to our awesome community of fokes who just a few you have met…
Tag me and i’ll hook you up my friend

B Safe
Will

1 Like

appreciate all of the conversations over the past few days here… all the folks have been just awesome … i wish i would have known about this community years ago… im still learning site navigation and such so please bear with me… i just figured out how to post pics in a topic yesterday…

2 Likes