What is strength of nutrient mix? NA
Indoor or Outdoor, Indoor
Light system, size? 600 W Dualarc
Temps; Day, Night -6 / 3 C
Humidity; Day, Night 23% / 35%
Ventilation system; Yes, 8" air cooled Lamp boxes
AC, Humidifier Yes
Co2; Yes only during daylight 900ppm

Hello, I am looking for a bit of advice with the Gold Leaf strain seeds. I started germination on December 28th with (5) Gold Leaf seeds. I placed them all in a 75 degree water container heated with an electric heating pad to maintain constant temps. I used 6.8 ph well water. After 24 hours (2) seeds opened so I placed them in a mix of Fertilome, Seed & Cutting and Friendly Fox soil. All’s well with those two seeds. The other (3) seeds were kept in water another 12 hours and then removed and placed in a moist paper towel and wrapped in the warm blanket again for another 24 hours. Nothing happened. I then took those (3) three seeds and planted them under 2.54 Centimeters deep in my potting Fertilome Seed & Cutting and FF mix soil. The two of seeds have been in that state ever since. I pulled (1) seed up yesterday to look at it and to see if it was too wet or moldy… Nothing. The shell was a bit soft to the touch but no mold so I put in back in the soil.

I have since started three Northern Lights seeds with the same procedure and they have all opened up and are now in soil with their little heads pointing towards the light. Now I have (5) girls pointed towards the light.

I have since ordered (20) more GL seeds since I really enjoy that smoke. I want to make sure I have a better outcome with the next GL germination attempt. What could I have done wrong? 4 of the 5 seeds all looked good and were of average size and color with no apparent blemishes or cracks. I believe the water ph was OK. The blanket temperature wasn’t too hot. Help.

2 Likes

Hi @Flyr! I’ve had 100% success with room temperature distilled water in a shot glass with a single drop of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide all on a heating pad. I let them sit until they show their taproot. After 48 hours change the water out and add another drop of peroxide. One took me 52 hours to show a tail. I don’t use the paper towel method but know others have had success that way too. I won’t plant until I see the taproot.

Hope this helps!

8 Likes

I noticed your temps and humidity. Seedlings do best with 75-80F and above 70% humidity. You should put a dome over them (ziplock bag or plastic bottle cut in half) for at least the first two weeks.

5 Likes

If you continue to have issues ILGM does have a great return policy.
I soaked mine in tap water for 24 hrs then strait to the dirt.
Everyones germ process is a lil different but I have noticed that you really cannot go wrong by following Roberts suggested germ processes based on other growers experiences

5 Likes

Oops guys, I forgot to mention the new girls were placed under a plastic soda bottle cut in half with temps. at 74 degrees and 55% to 75% humidity. The above mentioned humidity 23% and 35% were outdoor conditions. My past germination experience is from way way long ago. Early 1970’s.

Thanks guys but I don’t need any replacement seeds. I figure it’s part of the learning process and I figured if everyone’s new techniques didn’t work I could fall back on my old past ways. From all the research I’ve done, I’m learning there’s a much better ROI with the newer techniques.

I will try the H2O2 trick the next time. Thanks

6 Likes

hey @Tylan what’s with the peroxide? I’ve NEVER heard of anyone doing that in over 45 years of playing around with “gardeners”… @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Donaldj what do y’all know of this??

I don’t mean to hijack your thread @Flyr but this is news to me…

~peace

4 Likes

Hey @jusgettinby :sunglasses:

It’s there to help the seed get more oxygen. The peroxide breaks down there seed coat slightly allowing more oxygen to the seed. From the web:

Recent scientific studies back up the effectiveness of chemically scarifying seeds by soaking them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. Hydrogen peroxide is thought to increase germination rates by breaking down the seed coat, thus allowing the seed to take in more oxygen. In a study reported in the journal “HortScience,” aged corn seeds (Zea mays L.) treated with a solution of 15 percent hydrogen peroxide germinated at a significantly greater percentage (nearly 95 percent) than seeds treated with aerated water but no hydrogen peroxide (67 percent germination rate). In addition, oxygen consumption rates of seeds soaked for 24 hours in the hydrogen peroxide solution were approximately twice as high as seeds soaked in aerated water for the same time.

Help Your Seeds Breathe
It’s easy to improve your at-home germination rates by using hydrogen peroxide in your pre-planting routine. Simply add 1 ounce of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide to 1 pint of water; choose one of the following three methods. One, soak your seeds for 18 to 24 hours, rinse and plant. Two, place your seeds on a length of paper towels, use a mister filled with the hydrogen peroxide-water solution to thoroughly dampen (but not soak) the towels and the seeds, then roll up the towels loosely or simply fold them over so that all sides of the seeds are in contact with moist paper towel. Mist them lightly each day (or when the towel dries out) and plant them when sprouts emerge. Three, just rinse your seeds with the solution, then plant.

6 Likes

Well that is wicked cool!! I’ve never heard of that but it seems to make sense…

~Cheers!

2 Likes

I have been reading about the peroxide for a few months and I haven’t tried it though. I’m at 100% germination from ilgm by floating them in a shot glass of warm water at like 75 degrees and domed with a plastic baggie until I get a good tap root. Works like a charm. I agree that there are multiple ways to achieve good results!

I will try peroxide on my next grow!

Great info @Tylan and great question @jusgettinby

3 Likes

@jusgettinby, another old school technique is to abrade part of the seed husk with a nail file.

1 Like

@justgettinby, no problem, you haven’t hijacked a thing… we all learn from others mistakes and successes. and @Myfriendis410 we used to abrade or scrape Blue Bonnet seeds to help them germinate while planting them in the yard. That was the first time I had heard of using the abrade procedure. Those seeds are so tiny I have difficulty seeing the darn things and with my luck, I’d drop it on the floor and never see it again while trying to scrape it with a nail file.

4 Likes

You can do it inside a zip lock bag. …

2 Likes

@Tylan. How the heck did you learn of the H2O2 trick? Did you just wake up one day and decide you were going to try something new? It’s great having such smart folks around helping with these projects. Thanks Tylan

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 well heck, that makes too much sense. I’m such a knucklhead.

2 Likes

Lol lots and lots of reading here. I saw a few members doing it and they had great success so I did some due diligence and gave it a try. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The hydrogen peroxide method will almost always cause your seeds to develop a tap root just sitting in the water. I just popped 7 seeds of the 2 widows (chronic & white) and 3 northern lights autos for the next grow using it. You could go to the paper towel as insurance, but I don’t think it’s needed. It works good.
@Tylan
@Myfriendis410
@jusgettinby

4 Likes