Super Soil recommendations for springtime

So I’m working on planning my first super soil grow. I’ve been growing for years and want to try switching to super soil and also try out compost teas this grow. I’ve been busy at setting up the space for my greenhouse this spring and am planning on having 3-4 plants in a 10ftx20ft carport that I’m converting into a greenhouse. I want to have those plants in 50 gallon pots. This is my first outdoor grow which is part of why I figure I’ll try out super soil at the same time. My big question is if I’m going by @garrigan62 recipe for super soil be it

Full Recipe
8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
5 lbs steamed bone meal
5 lbs bloom bat guano
5 lbs blood meal
3 lbs rock phosphate
¾ cup Epson salts
½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
½ cup azomite (trace elements)
2 tablespoons powdered humic acid

or this one… which I figure for the full recipe I’d multiply each ingredient by 8
Soil Recipe to be mixed with 1 to 1/1/2 cu ft of base soil

.3125 lb or 5 oz Fishbone Meal 3-16-0

.3125 lb or 5 oz Steamed Bone Meal 2-14-0

.625 lb or 10 oz Bat Guano 0-7-0

.3125 lb or 5 oz Blood Meal 13-0-0

.3125 lb or 5 oz Feather Meal 12-0-0

.375 lb or 6 oz Colloidal Rock Phosphate 0-3-0

1 tbsp Potassium Sulfate 0-0-53

1 tbsp Souluble Kelp Powder 0-0-17

1 tbsp Mycorrhizal Fungi (300 spores per gram)

3/4 tsp Powdered Humic Acid (90 % pure)

1 1/2 tbsp Epsom Salt

1tbsp Sweet Lime (Dolomite)

1 tbsp Asomite (Trace Elements)

6.25 lbs Worm Castings.

My big question is for at least 210-220 gallons of soil will one full recipe be enough or do I need to try to make more than a full recipe? I just am not sure how much soil will result from each recipe so if people who have made it before could weigh in I’d appreciate it.

Oh also anyone with any experience with compost teas who feels like sharing their wisdom I am always up for learning. I’m really lookin forward to moving away from the synthetic nutrients more to try to help out my soil and plants as much as possible. So any good recipe’s or tips and tricks from people who have been brewing for awhile would be much appreciated. I’m starting out with a 5 gallon bubbler a 1 gallon bubbler and hopefully will have a larger bubbler or a couple more 5 gallon ones for outside by the time spring rolls around. Any good recipes for veg stage or flower or tips on brewing would always be helpful

1 Like

BuildASoil Modern Mix V2.0 Complete Soil Building Kit

https://buildasoil.com/products/buildasoil-modern-mix-v2-0-complete-soil-building-kit?_pos=6&_sid=bbffe1156&_ss=r&variant=8754888474741

May want to look at this. I am going to use this when I start the Spring round. :v:

@Budbrother

Think he can help

1 Like

That does look pretty interesting. It could make things a bit easier math wise at least and not needing to order everything individually. I’ve seen a few other people talking about buildasoil on here to and having positive results so that is always a confidence booster to. I like knowing others have had good results from the mix before that is always good.

1 Like

If using the first recipe which looks a lot like subcools i believe will make about 150 gallons of super soil. Super soil is then just placed in the bottom 1/3 of the pot. And then reg not amended medium on top. Supersoil is hot. I bet you will have enough. Also keep in mind supersoil has to cook for 6 to 10 weeks before use as well.

1 Like

Craft blend ingredients look like a lot of whats on your list if you check out their website.
I think if you register first get the discount before you place the order and could save a few bucks. :v:

2 Likes

That is exactly the kind of info I need man thanks. I was hoping that following one of the recipes would be enough because I was not going to be fully filling each pot with the soil. I also was not fully sure how long I needed to let it cook so I’m glad I got my butt in gear posting this so I can order my ish right away and get all this mixed up haha. I want to keep these girls happy outside this year.

Google Subcool man. There are pages loaded with info on his supersoil grows and info.

I will definitely look into that to because any way that I can find to save a few bucks especially this first grow where I’m setting up my greenhouse at the same time I’ll take it. I just know that people have had pretty good results from these recipes or ones similar because the nutrients in them so as long as I can find something fairly similar I’m going to be a pretty happy guy

Hello @BrokenHippy I switched to a living soil myself and I’m on my second grow. I am not mixing soil at the scale that you are so I cheat by buying a premixed product that has all the ingredients in it and I just add X amount per gallon of soil. I’m still trying to learn about mixing and adding which nutrients to fix problems or to make teas of my own to give my girls better treatment. Anyways I keep getting in trouble/edited for posting links (there’s competitors adds) so I’ll give you the info and hopefully you can find it out there if you want to. I found a article about alot of different types of teas. The article is called “How to Feed Cannabis, Organically: Top-Dressings, Teas, & More” and the name of the place is “homestead and chill” this guy covers all kinds of top dressing from kelp to barley, teas made from alfalfa, botanical, sprouted seeds. It’s a complete guide and the most thorough explanation I’ve found in one place. Happy growing neighbor and good luck on your new venture

1 Like

I like that “homestead and chill” place that was one of the places I was using for articles on teas and when I was first top dressing. They do have some good resources for this kind of growing. We’ll have to compare using the teas to help out everything because that is something I’m very interested in. I really found that with a long veg period which I tend to do in my indoor grows and such the synthetic nutrients really can add up in the soil if you don’t watch it carefully. I’m hoping switching to teas will help me keep my soil a nice healthy environment for my girls.

I think the original recipe that @garrigan62 posted was from Subcool but don’t quote me on that because like I said I’m new to the whole supersoil thing. I’ve been doing a lot of reading up on it for awhile and he might have made a few tweaks here and there but I think he was using it at least as a template originally. This new venture for growing I think should be alot of fun and hopefully end up paying off at the end up the season.

2 Likes

Cool I’m glad you have already been there almost a info overload there, he has a line in that article that is what caught me and made me want to change to organics. I’m paraphrasing… I don’t want to put anything in my soil that would ever need to be flushed out.

Kis organics is another good place for alot of info and products. I get my aloe flakes and potassium silicate from them

2 Likes

That line pretty much summarizes where I am at after my last couple grows. I ended up with pretty bad nutrient lockout this one because of salt buildup and it took me a while to flush my girls and I was like there must be a way to prevent this… and then pow tea making etc was stumbled upon so now I just need to get all my ish lined up for my next grow so my girls are nice and happy this go around. I want to start using aloe to. I grow a bunch at my house so I’ve been reading articles on that as well. I’ve been to Kis but havent spent as much time there I’ll have to go back to look at it because its really good to have sources for everything I’m going to need for the tea making etc that I’ll be doing that stuff is either everywhere and labeled in questionable ways or hard to find haha.

2 Likes

Monster garden sells the Subcool I think in 100 gallon kit for a really good deal

1 Like

tried looking quick and didn’t see it but I will look again because that would be great I like having more than 1 place to look for my stuff and having multiple choices. Especially where I’m just starting out and trying to find some soil to match up with the recipe that I have if I am not going to get everything separately. That’s almost the hardest part for me haha trying to match up the full recipe that I’m going from and trying to match it up with like the kit from build a soil but I’m getting alittle better at it. Figuring out which substitutions work for which and such. Its going to be a learning curve for sure but a fun one. I think that there are going to be alot of options with the super soil then living soil as I go