Super Silver Haze Attributes

Newer grower here. I have Super Silver Haze in the queue for my grow room.

My grow space is only 5’ high and I’ve noticed among all of the Super Silver Haze photos I’ve seen that the strain is tall and lanky. Is it feasible to manage the strain’s height via cropping and/or fiming (along with plenty of light) and still have a good yield?

You can have a great yield with those methods I would look into low stress training if you haven’t already as that will be a sure way to keep your height down while opening budsites to create an even canopy and more tops! You could also do a shorter veg. and flip to flower earlier but your yield will likely be alot less than if you were to train and let go til atleast a 5 or 6 week veg

3 Likes

When dealing with 5 foot restrictions, if possible I would look more towards Indica strains short and bushy. I think that Haze is heavy on the santiva side more tall and lanky. You can still make it work just fine little more effort. Just my thoughts happy growing.

2 Likes

I’m growing the same strand, any pointers?

I’m currently growing a single SSH from ILGM seeds. I decided to grow one plant over the autumn to get a hang of a sativa strain. It’s an indoor grow. I have it in a 5 gal, fabric pot with Coast of Maine Stonington blend (more about that below.) I made a grow box myself with piping I bought at HD. It’s 2x2 and currently stands at 5 feet, but can be raised another foot or two without much trouble. I’m using a Vivosun VS1000 full spectrum LED lamp. I have it turned on to full intensity. The plant loves it. Because it’s indoor the temp ranges between 72-78F. The humidity ranges between 32-40%.

I planted the germinated seed straight into the soil on Sept. 12, 2021. The plant is doing phenomenally well. It stands at 25 inches and is still reaching for the light. I can see it growing another 6-12 inches. It’s at the early flowering stage. It has 13 good looking colas. I counted the bud sites at 170. I did some minimal topping at about 6 weeks. I didn’t want to shock the plant. I think I could have been much more aggressive. Next time.

Now, about that CofM soil. You will read that it is a ‘super soil’ that does not need additional nutrients. Not true by a long shot. At week three the leaves were showing serious yellowing between the veins (interveinal chlorosis.) At first I thought this might be normal for a sativa, but after doing research and examining other growers’ photos I came to the conclusion that this wasn’t the case. It was likely a N or MG deficiency or both. I jumped into action. I tested the soil twice and found that it was severely deficient in N. I didn’t have a way to test for Mg in a timely fashion so I assumed the worst and decided to amend it with both N and Mg. I used some of Bergman’s high N fertilizer products as well as some FoxFarm products. I also added epsom salt for the Mg. I was very conservative in my application. Fertilizer one watering, only water the next. Didn’t want to overdo it and burn the plant. After another 4 weeks the new growth was looking a nice, bright, healthy green. Much lighter green than my Indica grows were. (Note: My water pH is good. I dechlorinate it and lower the pH down to about 6.2 with a commercial phosphoric acid product.)

I’m really psyched about this plant. It’s impossible to buy this strain where I live. I can’t wait to test the final product.