Super Leggy Seedling, How to correct in shared grow space

Hello everyone,

I’m a new grower and new to this forum. My issue is that I am trying to accommodate a very leggy seedling in a shared space with another plant that is further along. Can’t lower the light, because of the other plants, so I thought I would raise the leggy one up on a box. Is that a sensible idea or would it be better to add another inch of soil to the leggy plant’s pot and put it back on the floor? Details are that it’s a Harlequin CBD, sprouted in a peat pod which was then transplanted into a 1 gal pot full of happy frog. Have not added any nutrients yet.

Thanks,

Tom

1 Like

Hi @tswiz welcome to the neighborhood, I would think that you might have the opposite effect having the seedling up that high and it might burn up there I would look for a shorter box to try to make it about the same height as the other one. As for fixing the long stem it would be fine to add some soil to cover and support it. They both look pretty happy n healthy, good luck :+1:

4 Likes

I think maybe the elevation is a response to legginess. If so, good call. U can also pile up dirt around the stem to help stabilize her.

Other than boosting her up and dirt mound piling? Theres not much more to be done. How far from canopy (plant tops) is the light? And what kind?

4 Likes

Light is about 22 inches (56cm) above top of biggest plant. The light is a Maxsisun MF1000 at 80% power.

I understand why it was lifted closer to the light I was just saying it went from to far too to close, in fear it would now get burnt… sorry if I said it in a confusing way :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I actually took your advice and moved it down to level with the top of the big plant. I think it would be better to calibrate upward than downward with burnt leaves, particularly at this early stage. It seems that corrections can be made up to a point. Fact is that I left the sprout on top of the fridge too long, lesson learned. This is my first grow.

I’m thinking it would make sense to have an oscillating fan go over it for a few hours each light cycle in order to harden the stem. Harlequin is meant to be a big plant anyway so perhaps the genetics can support those dimensions. This forum seems like an awesome community, i’m glad I found it.

2 Likes

I grew a Harlequeen and she was a big old plant lol. But gotcha @MeEasy

2 Likes

Yes. Definitely.

I’d always have at least one (but usually two) oscillating fans. And smaller ones blowing up the girls’ skirt.

1 Like