Super Excited Newbie Here

Good teamwork @Niala high five lol :smile:

3 Likes

Lol high five :raised_hand: :+1::ok_hand::v:

2 Likes

Thank you @niala @majiktoker

I will move the lights, then I will water in larger quantities (so I have water come out the bottom) and include some plant food.
And we will run the humidifier less and the fan more. And I will get ph test kit. I don’t have one, as hubby did not think it necessary.

3 Likes

Oh yes they are, ph, ph, ph when growing cannabis most nutrient problems are due to ph problems and my pleasure @Herbalist

5 Likes

You’re welcome @Herbalist, it’s always a pleasure to help fellow grower :v::innocent:

2 Likes

Okay, it’s a bit early for flowering, but I want to be ready. I have an amnesia haze auto. 1) Do autos go into flower by themselves when they are ready? 2) when they start flowering, do I need to reduce the Light hours and increase dark time? 3) what is the average age the AH auto starts flowering? 4) how will I know when it’s time? My plant is 35 days from seed. @Masshole, @AmnesiaHaze Thank you in advance.

Oh and next questions: my plant got some light burn, which I have rectified. I know leaf damage cannot be reversed. Should I still leave the damaged leaves on, or should I take them off so the new gowth can receive more light? @Niala, @Majiktoker

If they arent at the top then yes

2 Likes

Autoflowers autoflower, no light adjustment required. I ran my lights at 20/4 but 18/6 would have been fine too. I harvested one of my plants a little early at around 70 days. I think around 90 days is probably better number.

2 Likes

My new meter just arrived today. It is one of those 3-in-1 gadgets: light, moisture, ph. It came with a reference card, listing various different types of plants, and their optimal readings. Naturally, cannabis is not on the card. :smirk: So that brings me to the question: which “houseplant” does cannabis most closely identify with? Or even better, perhaps I should give the range on the meter, and ask where cannabis should be at for optimal health?

Light: 0-2000 (0 is dark) My plant reading said it was only 200. For perspective, if I stand outside, the light reading goes up to 1,000. But my plant was receiving damage from light stress…

Moisture: 1-10 (1 being dry, and 10 being sopping wet) I just watered two days ago, and my moisture level is 9.

Ph: I know this one! I want to see 6.5, but my soil ph is currently 7. A bit high, but I need to let it dry out a bit before I give it any more wet stuff. Meanwhile, I can sprinkle some used coffee grounds on the soil and see what that does.

I had one i wouldnt trust TBH there are growers here that use them …
For soil moisture. Lift pot before watering and after to get and idea of when to water
For soil ph… Check first runoff should have about 20% come out the bottom of you planter…
As far as light its a trial and error thing raise light to max see if leaves reach for the light they will point up then go down a few inches till leaves are horizontal to the main stem or flattened out ive had my LEDs so close in flower that fan leaves were running away from the light pointed down like they wanted water but as soon as i raised light they went right back
Hope this helps
Just my 2 cents dont fully trust the 3in1 probe back up everything with trusted means Proven to be Correct

2 Likes

Well I got on amazon to look for a new ph meter, and found the reviews for the probe I have currently. One reviewer commented that to get a ph reading, leave it in for ten minutes, then see what it says. I tested it first in vinegar and got a ph reading of 5, which is what all the other reviewers got. Then I put it in my soil and set the timer… it reads 6! This meter doesn’t have decimal gradations, just solid numbers. But the point is, my soil ph is NOT too alkaline! I also learned that this probe does not measure artificial lights/grow lights, only sunlight (windowsill or outside). That’s fine. I prefer Brian’s @Brian091180 method for testing adequate light anyway. :slight_smile: For moisture, I tested on some other houseplants (aloes) and got different readings, from moderately moist to onion-skin dry. So I’m satisfied. I’d still like to get a more precise ph meter soon, but it is not an emergency anymore.

We also got a new hydrogmeter/room thermometer, and those numbers were surprising too: humidity is only 49%, which is not excessive at all. Room temperature is only 64 at the moment-- a bit on the cool side, but so is the rest of the house. It has only been an hour since I put batteries in though, so I will wait until tomorrow to get a better picture of temperature. @Niala

More good news: I cut off most of the large damaged fan leaves, and now the smaller leaves that were hidden from the lights are getting bigger, and so are their colas. I also removed the therapy lamp. I think it was too hot/intense and stressing my plant. I noticed some of the leaves were starting to curl downwards (like an overturned canoe). So it’s just the red/blue LEDs and one CFL now.

Oh! My plant (Amnesia Haze Auto) is 42 days old from sprout now, so we changed the light timer from 20/4 to 16/8. Maybe we will start to see signs of flowering soon.

2 Likes

The “over turn canoë like” (I like the expression :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) is : over watering, under watering or a fan blowing from bellow that force the stomata to close, because to much wind cause dryness and stomata are closing to keep moisture in and cause symptoms look a like over or under watering…

Hoping that’s helping you @Herbalist

~Al :v: :innocent:

2 Likes

@Niala, Well judging by the fact I watered three days ago (I put in 1.5 liters, and about a half liter came out the bottom, kind of slowly, not too fast), and the soil is still saturated, I would hazard a guess that my plant is over-watered, and that is why the leaves are unhappy. Do you know of any ideas to help it dry out a bit? Or do I just have to wait forever?

Also, is a room temperature of 64 Fahrenheit too cool, do you think? Or is it okay? The plant is in a half bathroom (no tub, just sink and toilet), so it’s a small space, and there is a vent for heat from the furnace, and we keep the door closed.

And yes, you’ve been very helpful; that’s why I keep tagging you, so thank you. :kissing:

If possible you should try to raise temps 10 degrees just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Roger that. Thank you, @Majiktoker. And I think that was worth a bit more than two cents. :wink:

2 Likes

And a good ventilation from above the canopy will help too. …

And you’re welcome @Herbalist

2 Likes

My pleasure sorry @Niala didnt mean to take this from under you :frowning:

And as @Niala mentioned good ventilation on top and around plants :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did’nt see it that way @Majiktoker, it’s more of a team work :wink::+1::ok_hand::v::innocent:

4 Likes

Oh, my poor plant! I just returned from a business trip, in which I was gone for 72 hours. Naturally, one of the first things I did after bringing in our stuff and greeting the dogs, was to check on the plant. Oh dear. The humidity was all the way up to 68%! On the good side, the temperature was up to 70. My poor plant looked so bedraggled and sad, with droopy, shriveled leaves. :cry: On the plus side, it still continued to grow in volume and height, so I had to take it off the box it was sitting on, so it would be further from the lights. (I might be turning into the “crazy plant lady,” but I thought I could hear a sigh of relief when I did that, lol) I turned on the bathroom fan and left the door open for a bit, to get the humidity down. The good news is, the soil’s moisture level has gone down to the point that it was “cool and moderately moist,” rather than saturated. It has been ten days since I’ve needed to water! Is that good or bad? :worried: I will check it again this afternoon, and see if it is ready for another drink. I checked this morning, and the leaves have relaxed and perked up quite a bit. Whew! I had ordered a small table top heater which arrived while I was gone, so I will set it up today and run it for short periods. That should help improve the temperature, keep the humidity under control, and help dry out the soil. What do you think?

Now the other concern I have: This thing, an ILGM Amnesia Haze Auto is now 50 days from seed, and I don’t see any sign of flowering! Should I be concerned? Is all the heat, light, and humidity stress it’s gone through the cause of delayed flowering? Will it EVER flower? @Niala

Oh, on the other plus side: It does smell heavenly! It doesn’t smell up the whole house, but if the bathroom door is left open, the fragrance spills out into the laundry room. It’s not at all “stinky,” but has that green, earthy scent, like early in the morning, the day after you mow your lawn. It’s fantastic! :heart_eyes:

1 Like