Sunflower branch snapped (help)

I went outside to check on my sunflowers as they are really top heavy so I have the heads strung up. I noticed one leave wilting and then I inspected further and it was only attached by a thread. I jumped the gun and pulled the leave instead of taping it and trying to fix it. Will this be detrimental to my plant? They are all nice and healthy I think? Idk this is my first attempt at growing something. Here’s some pictures l. Thanks for looking.
Cheers

Here’s the snapped off branch.

I’m guessing it was the wind as we had some pretty hefty gusts earlier in the day.

@GreenJewels plant needs assistance…

1 Like

Lol sorry I didn’t really know who to ask since I know this isn’t a sunflower forum lol this is the only “gardening forum” I’m a part of though so I thought I’d ask the great community of ILGM.
Cheers brother :man_farmer:

1 Like

Cheers my man. I get what ur saying. Jewelsy grows some amazing other plants. Think she had a 5-6 ft sunflower once :laughing:

2 Likes

sunflower will grow a new main leader out of a branch union, not unlike cannabis. They are pretty tough plants!

2 Likes

Yep, what @Cannabian said :+1: the sunflower will be fine :wink:

:rofl: Me too I’ve never been on a forum prior to ILGM
You will find a lot of people share their general garden wisdom around here too. I love this place! Happy growing :v::green_heart:

2 Likes

Good to know they just as important to me as my “other” plants. The one in the big 5 gallon I hope can reach that it’s a mammoth that I transplanted this week Plus the same one in the cloth pot is a mammoth as well. The goal was to hopefully have them grow as tall as me :joy: I have 3 type going now. The 3 strung up ones are vanilla ice and 2 others off camera are “sunshine sunflowers”? Their blooming now.

1 Like

I have 3 going just now. One is 7ft, then 6ft and then 5ft. I grew them for my grandson who has no idea what a sunflower is :man_facepalming:. No idea why the size difference as they were all planted at the same time in the same soil. I do know that if you pull a leaf and it tears the stem you run the risk of letting an infection in

1 Like

Lol. He’ll get the green thumb one day. Ihave neem oil. Should I use this as a preventative measure?

1 Like

I would keep an eye on it and see what nature does about it :sunglasses:
Papa will show him how to grow one day :heart_eyes:

1 Like

10-4 Over and Out.
:man_farmer:

1 Like

I dropped 6 sunflower seeds first time growing. Well only 2 made it something ate my till death. One is probably almost 6 ft a yellow and my other is probably 4 ft a red. These pictures are not recent they’re way bigger now and I’ve staked them for support

1 Like

Beautiful plants. I had to stake mine as they started dropping yesterday and the string hanging up wasn’t cutting it. I just kind of started this on a whim and well, now I’m completely hooked. It’s great therapy. I’ll be harvesting these for seeds hopefully for next year as we get hit hard in the Midwest for winter. I’ll probably have a whole greenhouse at this rate by next spring :rofl:.
Happy Gardening
PS
One of them is opening up and I couldn’t be more excited :blush:

1 Like

My red is opening up too. :slightly_smiling_face: I will get pics today. When they’re harvested I will just keep the head I love my drieds lol

1 Like

I suppose I will as a little trophy for my first plant. :joy:

1 Like

Okay here is pictures :blush: and of course I will share my birdhouse gourd vine.

This one is my red looks like a couple heads growing idk…

My yellow no head yet

My gourds…very slow start I think…but first time growing them lol

1 Like

Whoa those are really pretty! I love the red on them! I was looking at these PLum Sunflowers off of HOSS? website. There super pretty and the fiancés favorite color is purple. But shippings kinda a lot for some seeds lol. I wanted to get some diff colored ones as well but no stores had them around here unfortunately. Except the off yellow ones. I’ll definitely be trying more stuff next season as it’s a little late.
Cheers and Happy Gardening
:cherry_blossom::sunflower::rose::mushroom:

PS I was gonna order some colored ones off amazon but there’s a lot of people saying there just yellow sunflowers it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No idea. But just like with buying reefer seeds. Do ur research and remember. U get what you pay for often

2 Likes

Here’s an update and also a question. So my flowers are in full bloom. But one that was blooming first I saw a finch start eating it’s seeds out and it took some pettles off with it( Day 1 of Bloom and a critters eating it already :man_facepalming:). Since then they haven’t really gotten it’s rear set of pettles like the other one. Can I still let this one develop its seeds more and harvest them for next year?