Summer is Here at Last, Down-under 2019

Hello All,

While mainland Australia is burning, down my way its been very cool. In fact single digits Celsius cool. No matter Ive started regardless. This seedlings are 17 days old. They were started inside, under 36 W tubes, then upped to 110 W tubes for 7 days. On day 7-8 they are now outside full-time. They go into a greenhouse at night to protect from the cold and critters. I have a mix of 3 x WW, 2 x JH, 1 x AK-47 - All Autos plus 1 x NL#5 feminised. I lost 2 auto’s that germinated, but did not produce cotyledon leaves. So losing 2 from 8 is not bad.
I am using Canna Professional(first time) this year for 3 of the autos and my own usual mix of premium potting, compost(store bought), B & B, some perlite and vermiculite. But not as much as last year as the roots I feel are tough and will find their way through anything. Making the medium too soft and fluffy is unnecessary I am starting to believe. IN fact in the jiffy starter square pots I use that go straight into the grow bags, this year I packed in the seed starter as hard as possible. In less than 7 days there were white root tips out the bottom of each pot. I potted-on straight away.
If we had more warm days they would be a little further along I feel. But nevertheless they appear healthy and getting bigger each day.

I have added some pics from last year’s efforts to remind me of why I love this hobby so much. The purple heads are NL #5 and 4-5 months old. It is very sleepy time smoke and mellow. I experimented with molasses and the surgery. I ended up with alot of sweet crystals

16 Likes

Fantastic start on the seedlings they look great. Nice buds also.

1 Like

Nice looking plants. I noticed the one plant has water all over the leaves. In the sun the beads of water will act as a magnifying glass and burn the leaves.

Actually water is on multiple plant leaves.

1 Like

HI MrPeat,

the photos are taken round 7.00 am or so, still fairly cool then. Never had any issue as long as I water before it warms up. It is now 11.36 am and just hit 21 deg C/70 F…they are all(leaves) preying to the sun.

Where I live(next stop Antarctica) they have to be tough as we can have rain showers/ heat & sun cycles throughout our days. I can’t be running round after them. But I get your point and I do not intentionally water them in the heat of the midday sun. We experience crazy temperature changes, they have to be able to handle it outside, and so far far they are. Our outside grow window is so short. If its a cool Dec, then that only leaves Jan, Feb & March up until about mid April when it gets cool plus short days… They would be larger if we had warmer days…

I know all to well how heat is like. We can have the 4 seasons happen with a 2 hour time frame. We are getting a serious Arctic Blast here along The Valley in Texas. We hit over 50 degrees Celsius and can hit as low as -10 degrees Celsius.

I couldn’t grow down here in the outdoors even if it was legal as the insects, birds, and mammals would eat it for water.

Stoked, looking top notch!

Hi I am an Aussie to just a little more South West :slight_smile: my seedlings are about 10cm high, and seem to have stopped growing, any advice?

1 Like

Need more information aussie 84. like alot more information and or pictures?

Pickys would help bro auz here too

Hey guys I have a purple haze strain 2nd time growing this strain. I can’t seem to get it to turn purple. I’m growing outside in Australia Queensland. Is anybody able to tell me why this is. The plant is still going great but there’s just no purple to it. I’m
Not sure if this photo will help but it’s the only one I have atm cheers.

1 Like

@Pritty Because you generally need COLD weather to achieve that. I can’t even get color changes with a window ac blowing straight into my tent. :+1:

Dammmm. Would it be worth trying to grow it in winter. I was really trying to get some real colour too it. I’ve never smoked the purple flowers before haha. And would the colour change the strength of the flowers. Thanks for replying mate cheers

Its just colors like window dressing. If you go to Amsterdam and look at their marijuana its always green. At least every strain I saw there was and I’ve seen a lot there.

Only one I had that had purple in it was from British Columbia and we called it the Purple Sticky Stuff. Smoked the same as green herbs.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Pritty , I also live in se QLD . @MrPeat said it , it would need a lot colder temps to make color change . I’ve also heard that if you starve the plant of potassium in the latest part of flower that should affect color too . That was over 20 years ago . I’m sure science and smarter people in this forum can say if that is true or not . Good luck and happy growing

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, South Aussie here.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply guys really helps me out as I’m
Still very new to growing. I have a couple more pics to share if you guys could give me some more advice. I have some yellow leaves atm I water the plant everyday does the yellow mean not enough water maybe? And also when will I no when it’s ready to harvest cheers

1 Like

First pic, between lower and upper yellow leaves.

Is that bud rot?

1 Like

It sure looks like it is. :pensive:

1 Like

Looks like you have some bud-rot going on there. Best to remove that. With a pot that size you should not need to water daily, from the photo.
As the plant nears its end, almost all the leaves yellow and drop off as the plant is completing its life cycle. That said yours looks like it is still not ready, 1-3 more weeks depending on the conditions.

I would not starve the plant of anything, but just my opinion. Good luck

Ohhh noo how do i stop bud rot