Suggestions on silica

so ive recently switched to jacks321 along with mpk, not sure if ill need or use silica but am gonna order just in case, any good brands or types that work well with jacks in a soil grow

3 Likes

Silica is good for strengthening plant structure, but you have to be careful. I don’t add silica until a few weeks into flowering when all plant training has been completed. The branches can become stiff when using it, making training the plant without breaking stems difficult. It’s great for helping plants hold up heavy flowers.

Silica products are pretty much all the same. I use Bloom City Silica Boost. It doesn’t much matter what brand nutes you use if you are using a straight up silica product that doesn’t have a bunch of extra junk in it. I do use Jack’s in my soil grows if that reassures you any.

2 Likes

NPK Industries makes a really good Silica product that’s priced pretty reasonably. I wrote to them a couple of years ago for specific instructions on mixing it. They suggested adding the Silica first, shake or mix well, and then wait 10 to 20 minutes before adding any nutrients.

3 Likes

Yes, Silica has to be added first no matter what you use. I used it for a couple years.
I now use Jacks 321 and found Silica to be unnecessary. The main stalk and branches are already thick and woody without it. Someone on another thread stated it helps trichome production but I have not researched that yet.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard about it helping with trichomes, but it definitely makes the plants more resistant to heat and light stress, and helps them bounce back faster and easier if environmental issues stress them out.

2 Likes

From the Jacks website…

*** ### What supplements should I add to Jack’s?**

We got you covered on the essential nutrients! No need for supplements such as Cal-Mag or PK boosters. Some growers are adding Microbials and Silica with great results, while other growers only using Jack’s have great results too!

So it seems its just up to you.

3 Likes

I’ve read that they “suspect” that the use of silica strengthens trichomes and actually helps them stay stuck to the plant vrs falling off when dried. It definitely helps strengthen the plant overall as it reinforces all the cells in the plant.

This silica is from the most readily available form for the plant to use immediately. Silica from other sources has to be broken down in the soil before absorption by the plant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BB4XF3B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1?tag=greenrel-20

I start my silica after I’ve done the bulk of my LST.

edit:

2 Likes

Last time i checked alot or organic and super soils already contain silica for the most part in small anounts id have to agree tho also with ya about not needing it i started a grow in coco and was told my branches would be weak without silica boy was they wrong i couldn’t train that plant if i wanted to the branches where very hardy and solid id rather stick to the kiss method tho rather than having 5 or more items to have to mix

2 Likes

Yep. I grow in coco too and the stalk will get thick from the very start.
In my case if I add silica then I have to add ph down to get in range but without silica (which is hugely alkaline) I land at 5.8 without fail. If I saw a real benefit I would use it but for me I don’t see the need. Of course your results may vary.

Perhaps you can run two plants, one with and one without to see if it helps. I would be interested to see.

2 Likes

If i continue with coco ill buy some and do a side by side but i think ill be going back to soil

I like to add a handful of greensand to my mixes and raised bed. It is slow release and covers the silica. It also has a lot of trace elements.

Some of my grow buddies here like to use rice hulls for silica too. It adds mucho drainage like perlite. It breaks down in a season. I don’t use it because I prefer biochar chunks for drainage.

1 Like

I almost forgot, azomite too. Rockdust for trace elements. I add a pinch of that every spring too. It is 65% silica according to the manufacturer’s website. I still have a lifetime supply, but I don’t add it so much anymore. My son has a hobby of rock tumbling so I just rinse the tumbler dust into my raised beds. It smells and looks just like azomite. I also throw in a silica rock (quartz) into every tumble to add some silica dust.

I use AgSil 16H for my silica along with jacks321 in coco

1 Like

2 Likes

Good to know @MidwestGuy about the branches getting touch with silica. Thanks

2 Likes