Sugar based pesticides

Anyone here ever use this stuff to control pests ? This year in my area the grasshopper population is at a biblical level. Any and all advice appreciated :confused:

Hey tidbit

Does the package say anything about controlling pests? Sounds like itā€™s just a carbohydrates type sugar booster for feeding the critters in the soil but Iā€™m not familiar with it.
Are you wanting to be pro active and guard agent possible pests or are you currently dealing with problems with pests?

1 Like

It says ā€œreduces insect pressureā€, The way I understand it grasshoppers have no pancreas, so they will either taste it and leave or eat it and die. But for some reason the product canā€™t be advertised as a pesticide. And yes I am dealing with them now, they completely devoured and killed a 3ā€™ tall Durban Poison overnight :cry:, a plant that was dusted with sevin dust the day before.

2 Likes

Here is a great article about grasshoppers that also includes a garden-safe treatment if you are interested:

2 Likes

Never used it. Would be interesting to hear if youā€™re successful with it.

Thanks for the replies and the link. Iā€™m familiar with the pyrethroids and have used them in the past. IME they donā€™t keep the varmints away for very long, they are more of a kill on contact spray. Iā€™d really like to hear some real experiences with the sweet stuff before I commit to dousing my crop with it. Learn from the experience of others instead of learning the hard way for myself you know :roll_eyes:

Have you tried karanga meal it works well also neem oil.
I see that stuff at the co op when I buy fertilizer for my farm but I have never used it
Seven dust kills alot of the beneficals in the soil and turns soil into dirt
And im in the Midwest and I have not seen big grasshoppers like this since 95 or 03 I saw some that were 4in long yesterday

1 Like

I sprayed my entire garden with the sweetener yesterday and so far so good. Early this morning not a single grasshopper on any of my plants. I normally water with a broadcast sprinkler and Iā€™m sure it will wash the ā€œsugar coatingā€ off pretty quickly. But if it does continue to keep the voracious little demons away I will start watering at ground level and spraying as needed.
The pic below is what Texas panhandle grasshoppers did to my Durban overnight, this plant was 3ā€™ tall and healthy, the stalk is bigger than my thumb.

67409773_382428395793980_366932391970734080_n

1 Like