This is my first grow ever. In a tent and in soil.
All indica strains. plants look fabulous until the turned the lights to 12 hours.
I sure have learned a lot and I will change a few things for next time but for now, I need help.
What i changed
daylight from 18 hours to 12
stopped feeding for about 5 waterings
next watering I used some bloom food that just came in ( 6-30-30)
lower leaves began to fall off. They really did not turn yellow first. They turned dry looking, curled up, got very dark and fell off.
Tops of plants looked fine with good color and no spots or anything. I see tiny signs of buds. I trimmed away many huge ( bigger then my spread hand) fan leaves to give more light exposure. I then had two plants top colas begin to turn yellow and get curled tips! Other plants look great on top still.
Of course I stopped the bloom food ( possibly too soon and burned them?). gave pure water for about 4 waterings and then gave them dilute normal veg food a few times. Buds still look great and not much more leave drop, but any thoughts on this?
I removed one plant from the tent. It in general looked to worst. this helped the others get good light. I put this one outside but I think it is hopeless. Ill use it as a learning tool to see what happens. I just dont want to loose this crop! It would just be such a bummer to have zero success on my first try.
I am overcrouded for sure so possibly The lower leave just are not getting enough light?
This is my first grow ever. In a tent and in soil.
Welcome to the forum, great people around to help you.
Pictures of the plant would help us.
@Renwoman welcome to the community. Like Zee said pic’s in natural light will help.
Ok I’m gonna try. The plants with the grow light on is how they looked rt before setting the clock to 12 hours. All other photos were taken today with grow light off and be holding an led flashlight for more true color. Plants you will see shot way up with 12 hours and became lanky. I think the tops look great and the young buds look good too, but who am I to say in this trial run. Plants are about 3 feet tall and you will see the lower 12 inches look terrible
The top canopy does look healthy. Normally I wouldn’t worry too much about the lower parts that get no light, but they aren’t yellowing, just wilting.
Your soil looks really compacted and hard. What it it?
The soil…I started in solo cups with coco fiber, at about two weeks old I transplanted to one gallon fabric breathable pots. Just took the root bound coco fiber out of the cup and put it into the pot with some top soil from my compost pile. So this left some loose airspace for the roots with nutrient dense topsoil surrounding. A few weeks before I set them the bloom I transplanted again in to 5 gallon fabric pots with more topsoil to take up the space. Each time I transplanted I worried about the stress but the next day they look GREAT like they were so happy. I do think the soil has gotten firm from the watering packing it down. I am not so sure how to loosen that up at this point without causing root damage. This morning I stuck my hand in around the perimeter of the fabric pot to loosen it up. I was surprised that I did not feel any roots out that far. Maybe I have had a little root damage? I suppose I could squish the pots a bit to loosen the soil up.
This morning I planned to cut all the dried leaves and stems off the lower part, but I did notice small leaves trying to grow out of them so they must be recovering from what every happened ( I swear I burned them with the bloom food too soon). Question…I have one plant that the top where is was showing signs of budding…turned yellow and some dried tips. This happens to be a plant that had gotten so tall I pinched the stem to bed it away from the light. The stem did crack but it did not fold over in half . IT just has a long crack running parallel with the stem. Its alive and hos not progressed in how bad it looks but it has not greened up too well either. I apprechiate all the help here. I am enjoying this process. I am not a huge weed smoker myself, but I am a person who loves a challenge like this. Just to see what I can achieve. I do make some nice sleep tonic ( hence all my indica strains) with grapeseed oil and citrus oil drops. I make the oil to be 1 MG per drop and four drops just really helps my brain shut down after an insane day at work. And this is about it. If I end up with some success here with this grow, Ill be all set for 10 years!!! LOL. But this is fun and I will certainly have fun with the next grow as I have learned quite a bit with this one.
I’m guessing, and this is just a guess, that your topsoil is too compacted. The water either runs by most of the roots, or just sits in pockets choking them off.
The sudden die off of whole branches without any discoloring points me to a root issue.
I’m not really sure what you could to to remedy it at this point. Perhaps after the next watering you could gently pull out as much of the soil from the top as you can. Stop when you hit roots. Mix that soil with about 25% perlite or vermiculite, and replace.
If you still want to use your topsoil on the next grow you need to amend it with an aeration product. Perlite, vermiculite, pumice, etc. If your soil pH is high a little sphagnum peat moss as well.
Hopefully someone else will chime in.
COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)
- What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
- Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
- Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
- PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
- PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
- Indoor or Outdoor
- Light system
- Temps; Day, Night
- Humidity; Day, Night
- Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
- AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
- Co2; Yes, No
Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner
In particular I’d like to know just what the input TDS of your bloom nutes was. It could be a root issue but I’m thinking severe nutrient excess. Starting at the bottom and working up.
I would also like to know how you are measuring PH.
- What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed Grandaddy purple, pure indica and Bubba Kush, seed bank
- Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF soil from my compost pile mixed with some coco. has become kind of firm. been squeezing the bags to loosen.
- Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths fabric pots/ Bags
- PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) I use my tap water that has not changed. I have well water that is really nice . have not tested it in a while. But we are in an aquafer with really great water.
- PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable I used 6-30-30 mixed according to the label for bloom. Maybe too strong. I may have given this a bit too early. I turned down the clocks to 12 hours and fed them this around one week after. Then the leaf drop
- Indoor or Outdoor indoor
- Light system I have a full spectrum grow light 1000 watts with both veg and bloom on there. I have used the mixed full spectrum light the whole time because the plants loved it when i turned it from veg. added the nice purple hugh to the light.
- Temps; Day, Night well the tent it in one of my horse stalls outside and outdoor temps are around 80 rt now here. it is not the stall is dark so it is not getting hot in there from being in the sun or anything. I have not checked my temps and humidity in a while. Ill check on my way out to work shortly. Its not hot though.
- Humidity; Day, Night gonna check it. plants were doing great with humidity up near 60%. have not checked honestly since I turned on the big vent. maybe too dry in there?
- Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size yes I have a pretty large vent fan going. I can feel it drawing in air from the inbound holes in the tent. blowing out lots of air.
- AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, none
- Co2; Yes, No No just natural air from vent
and might I add that I have 6 plants in this tent that is 4 x 2 x 5. over crouded I am sure but live and learn.
yesterday i trimmed off all the dead stuff and sure enough a few shriveled leaves again this morning.
I gave them just one cup of water this morning because I was told I could be overwatering. but the soil is pretty dry when I water. I jam my finger in there and usually only feel slight coolness but pretty dry before I give them water. They never look thirsty and asside from the leaf drop, the top that looks so great have never looked wilted or thirsty. I have three strains in there. All have had the same amount of leaf drop.