Stunted seedlings *

Seedlings stop growing after first true leaves, and produce a spiky, misshapen crown.

100% perlite
GH Flora nutes and Cal-Mag+
abt 6.20 @ 1300 ppm
abt 62 deg/dark, 75 deg/light

Same thing w/sativa, indica, different strains, so it’s systemic.

First time I’ve seen this in 25+ years running this system, and I’m out of guesses. Please help me figure out what’s killing my babies!

Welcome to the community. Please fill out a Support Ticket.

1 Like

Sorry I’ve never grown seedlings in 100% perlite. Is that what you normally do?

1 Like

That almost looks like its gone to flower

1 Like

Sorry to say u burned that seedling to crap lol. 1 300ppm is a ton in seedl in ng stage. Try to again and for the first few weeks in of the plants life try doing like a quarter dose of the gh mix not a full dose. Try and get 3 to 400ppm when mixed if it is too strong dilute the mix with PhD water to get the set ppm u want then put the seedling in. For atleast 3 weeks from pop of run between 3 and 4 maybe 500 ppm and up it from there as she grow good luck. I’d also see about getting Rockwood cubes or some coco or hydroton as a medium instead of just sharp rough edged perlite

1 Like

Yes. Been using 100% perlite since mid-90s, after trying various blends of perlite, vermiculite, and a few more. No bugs, no weed seeds, cheap, clean, works great.

Hydrograybeard

1 Like

Mark-
I think you’re on the right track. I’ve been using EcoGrow liquid nutes since about '93, got the recipe worked out properly, grew great stuff until last year, when Eco discontinued their liquid house brand.
Since then I’ve tried a handful of other brands, finally settled on GH for the simplicity… but I’ve never seen this condition before!
I’m going to flush the system with peroxide, and then I’ll brew up a dilute solution and cross my fingers.
Thanks for your input.

Hydrograybeard

I like to use the nutrient lineup house and garden they are a little less hot with their fertilizers and I’ve seen great things since the switch from fox farms. That being said tho I still try to do a 1/3 strength of the bottle instructions and keep it around 500ppm in seedling phase and never go over 2000ppm in flower. If I I do go over the desired ppms i just add more water to my mix to dilute it

Hi GH has a PPM chart using the 500 scale on there website even with the aggressive feed max amount recommended it doesn’t go up to 1300ppm at any stage of the plants life.i would say you gave them a nute overdose.they give a recommended amount for every week of growth.

Well, the consensus appears to be (…and I am chagrined to admit…) a succession of novice errors that have led to an utter wipeout!
Examination of a couple of the victims supports the nutrient burn diagnosis.
I’ve taken appropriate corrective measures and now I’ll hold my breath and see whether the two most recent additions (3days and 9days) will survive my toxic mistake.
Many thanks to the several people who responded. Good information, helpful attitude. I am delighted to have come across this forum, and will be stopping back frequently to see what new tidbits I might encounter.

1 Like