Stunted plants could gnats be the problem

Can this problem be fungus gnats?

the plant in the fabric pot is 6 weeks old I was thinking it was not enough humidity. The one in the cup is doing better and it’s only a week old and this time I used a dome. But I see gnats and will use peroxide and water to solve that. By the way I let the soil dry out completely this is a fresh watering.

What’s up with the mulch on top. I’ve read somewhere mulch no good. 6 weeks, that thing should be a foot and a half tall. Something is definitely wrong

3 Likes

@HornHead It’s organic soil and I used it on my last grow this time I used worm castings too. Last time I vegged in my closet the ones in the fabric pot I started in a wide open room. I think the low humidity stunted them now I have them in the closet and the one in the cup is only a week old

I’m not sure what is wrong buddy. But next time I’d start in a smaller pot so it doesn’t spend as much time filling the roots out first. I think you won’t have as much problems that way either

3 Likes

I know I messed up but my last grow was amazing and did everything the same except for not starting in my closet. I’m hoping the one in the cup will do better. I had my light at 3 foot and just lowered it to 24”. I will definitely use smaller pots from now on. Do you think I should just give up on the 6 week olds or let them go? I’m gonna spray with peroxide and water for the gnats next watering. I was wondering if the gnat larva could have damaged the ones in the pots

2 Likes

Not sure. If you need the pot and space, dig it up. If not, I’d get some food grade diatomaceous earth and top dress soil, should take care of any larva in there

1 Like

Thanks man :v:

I’d get a few other opinions before you do anything drastic tho

1 Like

@Watt-Sun what’s your opinion?

My first thoughts looking at the picture the soil has too much wood chips. plant in cup looks goods when you transplant it .get another product organic soil and it should take off. Lots of products out there Blended for cannabis. I know you mentioned worm castings cannabis loves worm castings. Good luck

1 Like

Gnat larvae will feed off your roots and with them being so small at 6 weeks could be the reason they are stunted. My opinion, Re-pot into a smaller container, lose the mulch , treat the gnats and keep the humidity and temps up. Bottom leaves look gone but new growth looks like there might be hope.

1 Like

seedlings need moist but not wet soil.
the tiny yellow hatchling in the big pot is massively overwatered. water one cup of water a day, pour about 2" away from the plant. It might recover. At 6 weeks a healthy plant will be at least 6"+ tall.

1 Like

btw…do you have PM n PPM Meter Set? essential to a healthy grow

1 Like

Yes and thanks

Btw I let the soil dry out completely I just Watered today

I go from seed to final pot, my growth is regular. Something is wrong there but i don’t know what! My sprout is 3 days old in happy frog ocean forest in grow tent from water no dome.

1 Like

I agree with @tanlover442, looks too wet. I’ve read differing things on mulch @HornHead, good and bad. It could be making the soil too acidic, though.

1 Like

I’m not using mulch. I guess there’s a bunch of mulch in this organic soil. I just watered right before this pic. I let it dry out completely before each watering. I’m more worried abt the gnats but now I have that under control.

1 Like

My last two grows I’ve went straight into the five gallon pots and never had a problem. The only thing I’ve done differently is not starting in my closet and using worm castings. I’ve heard that sometimes they have gnat larva in it or the organic soil. I’m probably gonna have to start over. I have one plant that I started in the closet and it’s looking ok for one week. I just sprayed a little water and hydrogen peroxide on it for the gnats I’m definitely not over watering

2 Likes

Last pic looks as it should…healthy.

The other plant…not healthy.

Good Luck

1 Like