Study shows CBD lowers viral infection rates of covid-19

To avoid being bais I am going to present the information and mute my thoughts or opinions.

Study:

Point of Intrest:
"
Our results suggest that CBD can block SARS-CoV-2 infection at early stages of infection, and CBD administration is associated with a lower risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in humans. Furthermore, the active compound in patients is likely to be 7-OH-CBD, the same metabolite implicated in CBD treatment of epilepsy. The substantial reduction in SARS-CoV-2 infection risk of approximately an order of magnitude in patients who took FDA-approved CBD highlights the potential efficacy of this drug in combating SARS-CoV-2 infection. Finally, the ability of CBD to inhibit replication of MHV raises the possibility that CBD may have efficacy against new pathogenic viruses arising in the future.

One mechanism contributing to the antiviral activity of CBD is the induction of the interferon pathway both directly and indirectly following activation of the host immune response to the viral pathogen. In fact, interferons have been tested clinically as potential treatments for COVID-19 (21). Importantly, CBD also suppresses cytokine activation in response to viral infection, reducing the likelihood of immune cell recruitment and subsequent cytokine storms within the lungs and other affected tissues. These results complement previous findings suggesting that CBD suppresses cytokine production in recruited immune cells such as macrophages (22). Thus, CBD has to the potential not only to act as an antiviral agent at early stages of infection but also to protect the host against an overactive immune system at later stages.

CBD has a number of advantages as a potential preventative agent against SARS-CoV-2. CBD is widely available without restricted access if the content of THC is <0.3%. There are multiple means of ingestion, including potential for inhalation and nasal delivery. CBD blocks viral replication after entry into cells and, thus, is likely to be effective against viral variants with mutant spike proteins. Unlike drugs such as remdesivir or antiviral antibodies, CBD administration does not require injection in hospital settings. Finally, CBD is associated with only minor side effects (15).

However, several issues require close examination before CBD can be considered or even explored as a therapeutic for COVID-19 (11). Although many CBD formulations are available on the market, they vary vastly in quality, the amount of CBD, and their pharmacokinetic properties after oral administration, which are mostly unknown. CBD is quite hydrophobic and forms large micellar structures that are trapped and broken down in the liver, thereby limiting the amount of drug available to other tissues after oral administration. The inactive carriers have a significant impact on clinically obtainable concentrations. As CBD is widely sold as a preparation in an edible oil, we analyzed flavored commercial hemp oils and found a CBD content of only 0.30% in a representative sample (fig. S12). The purity of CBD and, in particular, the composition of the materials labelled as CBD are also important, especially in light of our findings suggesting that other cannabinoids such as THC might act to counter CBD antiviral efficacy. This essentially eliminates the feasibility of marijuana serving as an effective source of antiviral CBD, in addition to issues related to its legal status. Finally, other means of CBD administration such as vaping and smoking raise concerns about potential lung damage.

Future studies to explore the optimal means of CBD delivery to patients along with clinical trials will be needed to fully test the promise of CBD as a therapeutic to block SARS-CoV-2 infection. As the clearance rates for CBD in plasma are substantially lower in humans than mice, we would suggest moving to clinical trials rather than doing preclinical studies in animal models (15). We advocate carefully designed placebo-controlled clinical trials with known concentrations and highly-characterized formulations in order to define CBD’s role in preventing and treating early SARS-CoV-2 infection. The necessary human in vivo concentration and optimal route and formulation remain to be defined. We strongly caution against the urge to take CBD in presently available formulations as a preventative or treatment therapy at this time, especially without the knowledge of a rigorous randomized clinical trial with this natural product "

Key points:

“Analysis of blood plasma levels in healthy patients taking FDA-approved CBD (Epidiolex®) shows a maximal concentration (Cmax) for CBD in the nM range whereas 7-OH-CBD had a Cmax in the μM range, similar to that observed in cultured cells (15). These results suggest that CBD itself is not present at the levels needed to effectively inhibit SARS-CoV-2 in people. By contrast, the plasma concentrations of its metabolite 7-OH-CBD, whose Cmax can be increased several-fold by co-administration of CBD with a high-fat meal, are sufficient to potentially inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection in humans.”

(Epidiolex®)
2.5mg/kg starting dose
12.5mg/kg miantance dose

@Stonedrus
@dbrn32
@Myfriendis410
@MattyBear
@Covertgrower
@BobbyDigital
@PurpNGold74
@low
@Borderryan
@Hellraiser

14 Likes

I have thought this from the beginning lol

9 Likes

Let’s make note that the dosage is quite high, the quality has to be high and many sources arnt.
It can not be used with other drugs such as thc.
Edible via fatty meal or something is the preferred method of administration.
@ash93
@Not2SureYet
@Graysin
@kellydans
@GulfCoastGurilla
@CoyoteCody
@Bulldognuts
@DefNSmokn
@Deepsix

8 Likes

Very cool, @Nicky. I’ve always been a CBD fan and have been taking fairly large doses of isolate for a few years now.

3 Likes

Thanks, you know me I try to add factual advice to this community as much as possible.

2 Likes

Sums my thoughts up.
If you go down the rabbit hole of research, cannabis is beneficial to the immune system, and cannabinoids help regulate a lot of things in the body (including the immune system)
I encourage anyone to do the research.

7 Likes

I agree - just did the math - I’d be on 850mg of CBD for the maintenance dose and I run 14 to 23 kg lighter than the National “average” weight (as males run 23kg higher on average and women 14kg higher on average). Assuming I were an “average” male (approx 91kg) it would take over a gram of CBD (1,137mg) to account for a dose.

Granted, I wonder if such a dramatically high dose is necessary or if it’s just the standard because that’s what helps with epilepsy & this is the dosage they were comfortable administering.

7 Likes

Yes exactly my thoughts.
I just did the math here after looking at what’s available in my “state” from a federal legal store and it would cost me 55$ per 8 days on the starter dose.
Or 25$ A DAY on the maintenance dose.

This is the great question, due to affordability for lab tested cbd from a legal dispensary.

Currently it would cost me about 250-300$ just for the low dose per month…

I am immune compromised so I wonder if I can have my healthcare team get me medically approved for cbd. Then insurance can help and I can probably get cheaper stuff that’s more potent then on the recreational market.

This the best I could find

2 Likes

I’m going to show this to my wife. She’s a nurse and will definitely enjoy the read. And be able to translate a little for me. I do get the basic of it though. Very interesting and only further proves how badly more doors need to open up for cannabis medicine.

6 Likes

This is exactly why I grew my own CBD plant. It only netted 4.21 grams of concentrated CBD, though, and I have to assume it’s potency is likely similar to THC concentrate around 750-800mg per gram. (I can test it, I just didn’t think it was worth doing with so little to work with). So the entire plant (minus a 1/6th oz or so in smokeable flower) rendered the medical equivalent of 3,157 mg of CBD. Or 18 days of the low dose of CBD. :grimacing:

5 Likes

Very interesting. I just dropped two seeds of this strain:

Potential CBD% 15.7%
Potential THC % 0.58%
CBD to THC Ratio 27:1
5 Likes

Mine to, an RN. (she’s just not officially allowed to use that wife title yet lol)

@Graysin yikes.

Yeah if I was growing cbd I wouldn’t grow cannabis persay I would talk to a hemp genetics company.

3 Likes

The another seed bank on that has one that shows 25%thc and 23%cbd. I’m not sure if it’s a typo. Super critical bud, herbies. But like @Nicky said, I’d rather talk to a hemp company

2 Likes

LOL, I just sent the to ravenschief the other day. From a different source though. It is nice to see a little negativity removed from this plant.

3 Likes

Here are the high CBD strains from the seed bank I use. I seriously cannot use THC so these choices may not be for everyone. Trying to figure out what to grow next. I am growing TCB S1 now.

Strain Potential CBD % Potential THC % CBD to THC Ratio Germination % Parent lines Feminization %
Berry Meow 18.7 0.67 28:1 94% Berry Blossom x Cats Meow 99+%
Berry Snowcone 10.7 0.38 28:1 94% Berry Blossom x Purple Rain 99+%
Bubble Berry 16.8 0.5 33:1 91% Berry Blossom Bx3 x Chardonnay S3 99+%
Cat Lady 14.2 0.46 31:1 97% Cats Meow x Cherry Wine 99+%
Cherry Bomb 14.6 0.4 36:1 95% Cherry Uno Bx3 x Sweet Grass S3 99+%
Cherry Meow 16 0.6 26:1 92% Cats Meow x Original Cherry 99+%
Cherry Sunrise 15.1 0.49 31:1 99% Early Bird S3 x Original Cherry S3 99+%
Jam #5 16.2 0.5 32:1 96% #5 x JAM #5 99+%
Libido 17 0.48 35:1 98% Cherry Wine x Sweet Grass 99+%
Lucky Lady 15.9 0.5 32:1 98% Sweet Grass x Sweet Wife 99+%
Maico 16 0.7 23:1 94 TBB S1 #9 x TBB S1 #9 99+%
Marachino 18.3 0.54 34:1 98% Sweet Grass Bx3 x Cherry Uno S3 99+%
Number 5 16 0.42 38:1 97% #5 x #5 99+%
Orange Sunrise 16.7 0.56 30:1 95% Berry Blossom x T1 Trump 99+%
Purple Cowboy 18.9 0.54 35:1 97% Purple Rain x Cherry Wine 99+%
Red Robin 18.5 0.51 36:1 99% Cherry Wine S3 x Early Bird S3 99+%
Rosella 18.4 0.7 26:1 96% Berry Blossom x Early Bird 99+%
Sangria 20.1 0.2 33:1 93 Cherry Wine x T1 Trump 99+%
Super Freak 16.6 0.37 33:1 99% Superwoman TBC #3 x TBB S1 #9 99+%
Super Wife 14.3 0.48 30:1 98% Superwoman TBC #3 x Sweet Wife 99+%
Superwoman S1 14.45 0.4 43:1 97% Superwoman Bx3 x Superwoman Bx3 99+%
Sweet Grass 12.9 0.4 32:1 98% Sweet Grass x Sweet Grass 99+%
Sweet Rainbow 18.6 0.68 27:1 94% Purple Rain Bx3 x Sweet Grass S1 99+%
Sweet Rainbow 18.6 0.68 27:1 94% Purple Rain Bx3 x Sweet Grass S1 99+%
Sweet Wife 14.4 0.4 36:1 98% Sweet Grass S3 x The Wife S3 99+%
TBB S1 10.02 0.0039 26:1 0.94 Berry Blossom Bx3 x Berry Blossom Bx3 99+%
TCB S1 15.70% 0.58% 27:1 92% Berry Blossom x Cherry Wine 99+%
The Don 11.3 0.4 28:1 99 T1 Trump x T1 Trump 99+%
Ultaviolet 12.51 0.07 173:1 0.91 Cherry Uno S3 x Purple Rain Bx3 99+%
Ultra Woman 14.7 0.44 33:1 99% Superwoman TBC #3 x Ultra Violet 99+%
4 Likes

I may have to check that out because I do want to try growing a CBD eventually. I’m a superman fan so that superwoman looks good lol

4 Likes

Sangria is the only one on that list that meets the true definition of hemp, the others have to high of thc values.

Pretty crazy considering how low the values are but I Geuss it makes a big difference as this study shows.

2 Likes

It is “potential THC”. It is a sum of D8-THC, D9-THC, THCA and THCB. When I looked at the certificates of analysis for Sangria:

D8-THC 0.089%
D9-THC 0.198%
THCA 0.478%
THCV ND

It confused me at first is how could they be selling these plants as hemp? Then I dug a bit deeper. It appears that for hemp determination the D9 is the focus. Anyways, I’ll try what I grow and if I start hallucinating, I won’t use it.

I’ll have to do some more research since THCA converts to THC with carboxylation. I do not want to get high just treat old age pains.

Very informative @Nicky thanks for the tag! I might need to go through it again to understand lots of it😅

3 Likes

Hmmm, I wonder did all that white widow auto I smoked last year make covid seem like sinus? Don’t all autos contain cbd due to the Ruderalis weed in them?

3 Likes