Stripes cobs or boards

Hello everyone I am trying to light a 5x5 for flower using HPS now of the three which one do you all prefer also I will need help matching everything up thanks for any help.

Just to clarify, you’re currently using HPS in a 5x5, bits you’re interested in upgrading to more efficient LED lights? Is that correct?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Do you plan to run any other tents?

How do you plant to grow inside the 5x5, and how many plants?

1 Like

Don’t want to go crazy on budget. I grow 2 plants at a time. Just need it in one tent. Thanks for reply.

1 Like

Also I use a net for the two plants using two 600 watts hps

1 Like

No problem. Welcome to the forum.

A ballpark would be helpful. Basically, the more you can spend now, the more you can save in the long run. Most people here won’t give you advice that wastes your money. We tend towards frugality.

1 Like

I use a hlg550 v2 rspec.

I was doing 2 plants. I have the uva on it too. I like it. But I wish it had a dimmer besides the driver and I wish it had WiFi and I wish I could control the light from a controller. I would check out synce led raging kush and the dragon xl. :fire::fire:

3 Likes

It gets hot tho. Another think I’m not wild about. It gets real hot. Not high pressure sodium light hot but it could get to 90 plus with no Ventilation and exhaustion

1 Like

Rosie nice set up I am leaning towards DIY build what do you all think about something in line with eb gen 3 stripes?

keystonecop my budget is open just looking for a good solid lighting source don’t need latest and greatest wish they still had EB gen 2 but looks like they mostly sold out should I wait until EB3 price goes down?

Rosie if you don’t mind me asking what do you have hanging in corner CO 2 in bag?

1 Like

Welcome to the community with only growing two plants at a time. I feel like you can get the same results in a 4x4 space. And cut your light budget price and power consumption.

So it sounds like you’re comfortable training the plants to make a level canopy. From what I’ve seen, DIY strip-style PCB LEDs deliver really well.

@dbrn32 is the person to ask for guidance on assembling coverage for a 5x5 through veg and flowering with 2 plants in a SCROG.

@123Rosie what you need is longer wires so you can get that driver outta the tent. Do that and the temperatures will really drop

1 Like

You know I was wondering that but I hit it with the laser thermometer and the hottest thing in this bad boy is the actual lights themselves they are like the same temp as the driver about 135 can I buy an extension that I just plug in or something easy and fool proof or do I have to splice wires together. ??

Yeah I have 2 of them in there it’s a 4x4 gorilla tent I didn’t put the extension on the roof tho so it is 6’11” not sure if they work or not. One started dripping so that’s why I lowered them. I keep them on the floor now and have noticed no difference. I have circulating fans everywhere in there. I’m sure it gets blown around enough if it indeed works.

Sorry took me so long to answer but i could only do six post a day since I am a nubbie I think I am going to do EB stripe can someone tell me what are the one I need in 3000K for a 4x4 or 5x5 and drivers to match I think the only ones that are available are gen3

2 Likes

Also iam going to run them in series and thanks to everyone for there reply’s keystone I have read a lot of your post

2 Likes

I tagged Dbrn32 and he’ll help you spec the parts you’ll need. He’ll probably recommend building 2-4 lights to cover a 5x5 just so that it’s more flexible. I’d rather have the flexibility of different arrangements myself.

The DIY light thread has tons of successful builds, but it can be a bit much to sift through at this point (+6k posts in). You’ve probably already seen it, but here’s the link anyway:

1 Like

Thanks keystone his and yours are the post I have seen a lot and read you are right going through them is a lot to read I have went back to 2017 and realized in over two years some of them setups were already obsolete wow how fast technology is moving

3 Likes

Is it going to be 4x4 or 5x5? There’s a fairly significant difference in what you would need for lighting.

1 Like