Stretching? Help!

So these babies have been in for 3 days under a led. I already know the answer but am hoping am wrong… these are stretching arnt they! :sleepy: what can i do. Are they now absolutely no good. Help please. Failing at.the very first hurdle. Sad times

Yes they’re stretching. They need more light. But it’s not the end for them. Just bury them deeper when you transplant them. And for now just make sure they don’t fall over. And add more light asap before they stretch anymore. You’re in the right place to get help.

And welcome to the forum since I haven’t seen you before.

1 Like

Thanks @DoobieNoobie… I’m using this… which I believe is around 800 lumens. Can I keep it? Move it closer or swap it out? Am gutted to say the least.

Going to need a lot more light than that. Even right now they need more and it’ll only get worse from here. Typical rule of thumb is 50 watts per square foot. Each plant will need to have enough room to spread out. How big is your grow space?

For now I would go get a couple CFL bulbs in the 5000k color spectrum and get them on them asap

These are just in the propergator. Just 3 days… maybe 4.
It’s only 38cm x 24.5 x 19.5. It’s a heated one.
Can I take the top off and lower the light? This 8w led is surely equiv to round about 60-80 wattage ? X

Typically around here no one uses equivalent amounts because it doesn’t work that way. They need actual watts not equivalent. But for now get it closer to them. But unless you have one of those for each plant you’re going to need more.

Ah @DoobieNoobie am so consused now. :see_no_evil:

@raustin @blackthumbbetty and anyone else that might be on. Can ya’ll give some advice for a seedling light. I didn’t use a separate light so I don’t have much knowledge to share.

@stells I know it’s confusing. There’s a lot of misinformation when it comes to this stuff. It makes it hard to get started the right way. But there’s lots of very knowledgeable people here that can get you on the right track.

I’ve had 3 successful grows but all clones. Thought I’d be a big girl and go the whole hog from seed. Maybe not! :see_no_evil: x

Haha yeah I’m sure clones are easier. But you’ll get it worked out. No need to stress. I’ve seen way more stretched out than that.

1 Like

I’ve found that a T5 works great as a seedling light, you can keep it just a few inches away from the plants.

2 Likes

That would be good.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B06XPKQPSL/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1540816845&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=t5%2Bgrow%2Blights&th=1&psc=1

Yep, that’s similar to what I use.

Ok… So the one I’m using… bin?
Not move closer? Will I need anything else for these t5’s? I’m gonna have to get my big girl knickers out and and follow advice . X

Make sure that the one you get has the correct plug for where you’re at. But that one comes with bulbs and all.

For now yes I’d move it closer. And add anything else you can. Just watch that it’s not too hot

1 Like

I could actually weep :sleepy::blush:

No need to stress. It’s a lot harder than it sounds. Lots of people have went through the same thing. You’ll be fine.

1 Like

I’m in UK so looking now for equivalent. Thanks very much for all your help x

You’re very welcome. There’s several other UK people here. If you run into problems finding anything I’m sure they’ll speak up to help.

1 Like

I just use the same light seed to harvest.

I can’t see pics, now, but I assume that led light is a regular light bulb, not a blurple grow light? If it’s a white/yellow light, then lumens/lux wise you want 10,000-15,000 lumens during early veg. If it’s a blurple, you can’t use lumens as an indicator of brightness.

That probably isn’t very helpful. Sorry!

1 Like