Strains that Thrive in Desert Conditions

Hi, I was wondering what some of the more experienced growers on here might recommend to a beginner in Southern California as far as strains that grow well in the desert? I’m sure just about any strain will do if I keep on it with the watering but I was just curious whether there were any strains known to thrive in desert conditions.

You can look up the strains in the shop by climate and that show help ?

1 Like

Hey. There I live in the same place as you. Are you going to grow outside or indoors? I grow both, outside I’m growing big skunk and strawberry / blue
I made a flower bed with fox farm ocean and tilled I dirt. For nutes I use floranova grow and bloom . Inside I got blueberry. And bubblegum. I just now switched to flower. I have same stuff in 5 gal bucket. I have a T5 x2’ for starting and clones. The main problem is the high heat and wind. My plants are useing a gallon
Of water a day sometimes more. I have shade cloth around the garden. It’s six feet high so blocks most of the wind. The fox farm planter mix is about 16 bucks a bag, you might use something different I’m sure everyone has their own they like. Anything I can with just ask here there is some great guys here that know way more then me.
Tom

1 Like

I’m going to be doing an outdoor grow. I don’t think I’ll have to worry about heat as much with the summer fading but LA could have a few more heatwaves in store. I was kind of just wondering in general for the next summer. Great tips on the wind blockage - that was something that was definitely concerning me. I was thinking of going organic so Fox Farm Ocean sounds in order!

I would mix coco coir with that fox farm and 3 parts perlite .

Yes I do add the the perlite. I have never tried the coco. I try to stay simple.
Also if you live my way the water here runs a PH of about 7.5 that is to high for mj plants.
You need to keep it about 6.5. I mix my water in a 50 gal. Barrel, so I can keep it close all the time. Watch out when you add nutes to the water
It will change the ph again.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! September’s a bit too late to start an outdoor grow here, isn’t it? I was planning on waiting until next spring or summer anyway but I’m just curious.

Well it all depends on what the weather does. I just transplanted one plant that I had started inside. about 1 1/2 months old so we will see. They are saying we will have a warmer wet winter, so that’s why I’m giving it a try. Good luck
Tom

1 Like

I’m new at it so I’ll play it safe but I hope all goes well with your grow. Thanks!

Have you seen Robert’s blog article here:

And yes, in the seed shop there are options, boxes to check, that will also help you find the right strain for what you are looking for.

Hope these help,

MacG

1 Like

Rad! I’ll check out his blog, thanks for the link!