Storing PH meters

How do people store there PH meters? I was told to keep some storage solution in the cap of the meter to keep it from drying out but after a few days I have to clean this white stuff off and recalibrate it.

2 Likes

The storage solution does that, it crystallizes at the barrier/seal and works it’s way out.

Most pH meters need to be stored like that. I store it upright in a cup to prevent that stuff from getting everywhere.

When you use it, you need to rinse it and let the probe sit in distilled water for a while before you use it. You’ll probably notice a difference in the reading as well as the stability. If the reading keeps slowly drifting up or down, don’t trust it and soak the probe in plain water longer.

Also, make sure to do that water soak before you calibrate it.

4 Likes

Mine is stored in its own gel cap @poundcake @Watt-Sun

4 Likes

What if you don’t have storage solution? Can you use something else?

1 Like

@raustin @dbrn32

1 Like

I stored mine in distilled water and it wouldn’t read afterwards.

2 Likes

Oh no that’s not good. Where can I get some of that solution? Is that what you use now?

1 Like

Ya. Amazon has it, if you have a hard time finding it I can get you link.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll check there

2 Likes

Also @Watt-Sun @poundcake @QtPatooty @dbrn32 did you put a piece of sponge into the cap to hold the storage solution? so it wont keep seeping out and always store the PH pen in a upright position.

3 Likes

I’m not that bright. It’s much easier for my brain to buy the big bottle and try to gently place it standing straight up lol. That’s a good tip.

1 Like

You can store it in plain tap water if you have nothing else, just don’t use distilled water.

4 Likes

I almost used the distilled. I thought it had to be better than tap. Thanks @raustin!

2 Likes

It had a sponge in the cap when I bought it but had the same results .

1 Like

Are you just soaking the sponge?as i have never had this problem with my backup ph pen which the tip is in the soaked sponge, you only need a little bit to soak the sponge.

I was told by the hydro store to fill it enough to cover the probe when the pen is fully in the cap