Storing Nute water

Hey all, I recently decided I hate shaking that jug to dissolve jacks so I got myself a 5 gallon bucket and a wave maker. The waver maker dissolves the jacks and even the epsom salt pretty quickly. My question is can I leave the nute water in the bucket with the wave maker circulating the water for later use? If so should I put some holes in the lid of the bucket to allow it to breath? I only use about a gallon at a time and made a 3 gallon batch. Thanks

1 Like

Most growers mix immediately before they feed. Perhaps someone can chime in on why. I expect one of the reasons is that pH will drift over time in standing nute water.

3 Likes

It’s moving constantly with the wave maker and yes the ph drifted a little

1 Like

No difference between filling a rez with Jack’s and letting it stand (with a wavemaker) and what you want to do. Just plan to PH it before use as it will likely drift a bit.

6 Likes

I’ve been asking about this, and have been told that you can leave Jack’s up to a week, just keep it mixed. I’m growing in coco using Jack’s. I’ve recently started making a 5 gallon bucket, pH’ing it down to right 5.8. it takes me about 3-4 days, depending on conditions, to use it. Have had no issues, just have to make sure pH doesn’t go back up too much. Been working fine for me.

7 Likes

Cool thanks. Think I should put some holes in the lid or just leave it cracked a little to allow airflow? There’s no light getting in the bucket either way because it’s in the basement where there’s no light unless I turn the light on.

1 Like

Either should work fine.

2 Likes

I throw a towel over mine just to help from nasties falling in.

2 Likes

Try taking like 5 oz of water per part a b and e and mix each part with hottest tap water let dissolve and then dump that water in it breaks down the stuff in a matter of a minute or 2 I stir each one after I add the water let it set for a minutes or so stir again and it’s totally dissolved and ready

6 Likes

Happy cake day @Mark0427!!

3 Likes

I do have a hot plate and access to beakers at work. Maybe I can just heat up some dehumy water on the hot plate and dissolve that way. Thanks for the idea.

Happy Birthday.

1 Like

Thanks to all. Reg tap water with that little bit won’t hurt the mix at all. It’s such a minimal amount if mixing jacks I use about that much tap anyways with just jacks to bring my pH up without using pH up.

2 Likes

I have done this before you will get a ph fluctuation it maybe a few points up or it may go right up to 7.5 thats the only problem i came across

With jacks, my jugs have maintained ph up to 4-5 days. Maybe a few tenths drift but nothing significant. That is without an air stone or wave maker.

4 Likes

@BobbyDigital Do you think this would work if you added microbes to the jacks? I don’t ph anyways so not worried about that. My girl takes about a gallon every other day, but if I could mix up a couple gallons at a time instead and let sit safely for a couple days would be awesome. I don’t have a wave maker or anything. I mix in a gallon pitcher with a drill.

1 Like

I’m not sure with the addition of microbes. I typically add that in just before I feed.

2 Likes

Microbes are added after adding anything with NPK values and the mix has been ph’d. Hope the link works.

1 Like

It does and doesn’t. Lol.
I can’t run extra through after watering to run off. Guess I can always do a test batch and see how it holds up.

Yes. I like to stick my paint mixer on a cordless in there and make a bunch of bubbles…hopeing I’m adding oxygen.
Lol…often wonder if I really am(when it’s been sitting)

3 Likes