Store-bought soil brands. Which is best?

Greetings, just wondering what the best store-bought soil for autoflowers would be, say from a Lowe’s or Home Depot. My understanding is that Miracle-Gro is to be avoided. Is that totally true? Any brands from the above stores you could recommend? Thx.

I have one in MG because it’s all I had at the time.
I’m new and learning tons. Go all organic and you can’t go wrong .

1 Like

Check home depot for Sunshine#4, mine carries it.

1 Like

I am using Sta-Green from Lowes. I added peat moss and perlite.

2 Likes

Fox farm hand down is the best on the market that you can buy. Some of the top growers swear by it and when partnered up with their trio nutrients you can’t go wrong. MG is not a soil you want to fable in for numerous reasons. One, in this environment MG is bottom of the barrel. It is good for hearty vegetables and plants that can withstand a lot of water retention, marijuana is not one of those plants and needs a soil that does not hold as much water as MG. I’ll let my pictures do the talking for me. They are a month apart from one another

1 Like

Last year I grew in MG easy as it gets. This year used mushroom compost from lowes a little more challenging because not much there to eat. I use Stay Green fert for vege and Rose bloom for flower no problems. I believe for the new people is the lets call it dead soil mixes for lack of a better term. It becomes more difficult to manage the nute levels even with the proper testing equipment. My best advice is and will continue to be go simple at first until you get a handle at this. If that means amended soils such as a mixture of MG and something else such as the mushroom compost then so be it.

1 Like

I use Recipe 420 and absolutely love it!

1 Like

I have Fox Farms Ocean Forest I picked up from a local garden supply. It worked well for my 4wk old veg plant. I amended it with Mushroom Compost from Home Depot, added worm castings (also from HD), blood meal (Lowe’s) and some DynoMyco (Amazon). It’s 100% an experiment but I needed a cheap way to add more material to the remnants of my Ocean Forest to plant seedlings into some solo cups and I was afraid the OF was going to be way too hot if I just threw my seeds straight into pure OF. Hence the mushroom compost ($3) and the others (already on hand) getting blended in. So far so good, no one is displaying intensive nute burn. If you can’t get ahold of the FFOF, I’d highly recommend getting perlite and mixing it into whatever store bought soils you get to help with drainage.

Thank you.