Sticky Topic: Any tips for cleaning tools post harvesthol?

Cleaning up post harvest. I am using rubbing alcohol and rags/paper towels but the sticky ain’t budging off my trimming tools. Anyone got a better way?

3 Likes

I use grain alcohol. makes it a little easier… use $paringly…

3 Likes

I like to use a bowl of alcohol to drop your scissors in it. 70% works good .

3 Likes

I use 70% Isopropanol alcohol in a jar with a sponge in it place the shears in and let it soak for awhile.

2 Likes

I use alchohol and a green scratch pad. Once you break the surface it comes right off.

3 Likes

You can also put your tools in boiling water to clean them.

4 Likes

This is the best stuff that I have found. It will easily remove the sticky from tools and fingers both. I picked it up from a local grow shop.

2 Likes

I let my snips sit in rubbing alcohol for a while then strip gunk with a paper towel. Grain alcohol may be stronger. I checked out prices and the SOS is a little bit on the high side if you look up Everclear grain alcohol and compare.

I’ve also used citrus products sort of like Goof Off, and they work.

1 Like

I can’t remember what I paid for the SOS, since it was a couple years ago. But I do know a little goes a long way. The bottle is still well over half full.

2 Likes

Scrape it and save that sticky yummy :yum:

1 Like

I find the same is true with bowl cleaners also. For years the wife and I cleaned our bowls with alcohol or salt water, until we bought our first bottle of Randy’s Black Label. It was impossible to go back to that peasant lifestyle and use alcohol afterwards. Randy’s was so easy and less messy.
After all, growing our own weed make buying these little things a lot more affordable and enjoyable.

2 Likes

@beachglass, Of course I scrape my fingers and tools, and then roll this into balls that I put it in the clean bowl.
The really tricky part is too remember to handle the buds with one hand and the tools with the other. Once you start handing the buds with both hands you need to clean up and start over.

2 Likes

99.9% alcohol in a scissor scrubber.

Really old thread, but not much in the search on the topic, so here’s my entry…

91% isopropyl is the strongest I can find around here, and while it works great on my bong, I haven’t had very good luck cleaning plant resin off tools with it. I haven’t tried the other suggestions listed here, but I’m sure they’re viable options as well.

What I have been doing, is a tip I found online, and it seems to work pretty well too. A soak in olive oil for 10-15 minutes after scraping, then a normal wash with dishwashing liquid (Dawn?) and they’re like new. I have an old prescription bottle filled and just stand my scissors up in that. Not sure how long it will keep before it goes rancid with the bio material from the scissors sitting in it, but I’m going on a couple weeks now, so I’m sure it’ll be good long enough to get through the last few weeks of sticky trimming and the final harvest.

2 Likes

Razor blade, scrape scissors.
Roll said scrapings into a ball.
Pour yourself a glass of 70% or high isopropyl alcohol. Drop scissors into alcohol.
Go smoke scissors hash
Forget what you were doing
Remove scissors and they should wipe cleanly

That’s how I do it. :grin:

1 Like