Stem split, ice water, and 24 hours dark

Ok I’m getting close to a harvest and starting to read what to do and there is a lot of different ways to do it. So what is everyone doing to yours?

I just did a stem split today, gonna follow that with 24 hours dark before cut down at the end of the week.

3 Likes

Im gonna do ice baths and 48 hour dark period. No splitting for this guy

1 Like

So for 5 months we treat them with loving care then at the end we abuse them heavily. Should we be wearing spike heels and carry a whip while doing this?

9 Likes

Personally, I think it’s mythology that enables some of us to vent our frustrations upon the plants once there’s little it can do to change the outcome negatively. “Payback time…” if you will for the struggle, effort, and frustrations… :dagger::smiling_imp:

I see no rational basis for the stem abuse… If anything, splitting or drilling the main stem interrupts/reduces the plant vasculature which simply stops the plant from moving water and nutrients.

1 Like

The theory is that splitting the stem causes the plant to go into panic mode and produce more resin to protect itself.

AFAIK no one has shown empirical data to prove it works. I do it because it’s easy and doesn’t appear to hurt anything. .

4 Likes

IF my plants are similar enough, perhaps I will drill one (a la @MattyBear) and leave the other alone… then compare. Drilling seems safer than splitting.

1 Like

I drill and spike with shiskabob stix and do ice baths and no dark time.
And spiking the stalk and giving ice baths really makes your buds get covered in trichomes never not seen a plant respond to this i also squeeze the pot

I do this about 3 weeks before harvest and i can’t get the same results with out doing this hope this helps you

6 Likes

I also drill, and skewer. I start with ice shortly after flush, after they’ve dried out. No more watering just ice.
Drop the humidity as low as I can.
No lights out (I don’t get that one), just chop before lights on.

3 Likes

Ice bathe ??? tell me a lil about it…

It’d be interesting to see , disturbing if your the same sex as I.

1 Like

A week or so before harvest you cover the top of your pot in ice. In theory, it “tricks” the plant into thinking its winter time, which in return produces more trichomes. Its really just one of those “last ditch efforts” in trying to squeeze every little bit out of your plants. :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

By squeeze the pot you mean like bear hug it to damage the roots in a controlled manner?

I love Bear hugs :heart_eyes:

last year i scroged a plant and towards harvest time i split the stalk, got 2 full mason jars of hearty buds . this year i’m going to scog only 1 plant, 1 of my La confidential’s .
I’ve got 4 strains, I’m going to let the rest of the 13 plants grow straight up as tall as they can, no topping.

1 Like

Yes exactly that

2 Likes

Never heard that one before, but your bud looks like you dipped it in sugar so im not arguing with you on that one haha

3 Likes

This is all old school stuff from the 70s and 80s had to do everything you could with 15% thc being the number to beat lol oh man showing my age

6 Likes

None if the above here. I just try to harvest them before lights come on after 12 hours of dark period.

6 Likes

And if you rock at growing and your plant has trichomes on top of trichomes already you dont need to do that right?? haha waste of your time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes